1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican National Convention Thread (September 1-4, 2008)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Aug 27, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I know we still have the most exciting part of the DNC to come (and a pretty exciting part right now), but I don't know when I'll be on again and I wanted to tell about some of the things that I'm getting to do, and some of the reporting around our group.

First, I'm going as a guest of an alternate delegate that is one of the most connected in the country. I'm going as a guest of Shane Howard, Jefferson County GOP Chairman. He will be reporting live on NBC 4 in Beaumont every morning between 6 and 7, reporting live on AM 560 every other afternoon between 5 and 7 (Michael Truncale will report on the other afternoons), and blogging on the Beaumont Enterprise website. I'll post a link whenever I find out what it is.

Another in our group is a guest of a friend, KJ Jones, who is a communications person for Americans for Prosperity. She will also be blogging about our group and our adventures. I believe that her blogs will be posted at http://libertydelegates.com/, but I'm not sure. She is quite the entertaining person and writer, as exemplified with this post on her "for-fun" blog about meeting Barry Goldwater, Jr., and asking him to go skinny-dipping.

Now I get to brag about what I get to do. Because I know KJ Jones, on Sunday night, I get to have dinner with Barry Goldwater, Jr. On Tuesday, I'm going to Ron Paul's Rally for the Republic. Last week, one of Congressman Paul's aides gave me VIP passes, so after the rally's over I get to hobnob with the speakers like Grover Norquist, Gary Johnson, and hopefully Pat Buchanan. And at sometime during the week, I'm hoping to have a drink with Sishir Chang.

I'm trying to organize some symbolic protest of Joe Lieberman opening the convention, probably having people turn their back on him, but I don't know how much reach it will have.

I'll try to post from Minnesota as I get a chance, but I don't know how connected I'll be. (I can certainly post occasionally from the iPhone, but it's a hassle.)

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is Bush going to speak at the Republican convention?

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

very cool! have fun Wes!

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn weslinder, you always have the hookups.

5. weslinder

Yes, on the first day.

Not me personally, but I have friends that do, and get to tag along sometimes. I feel really lucky.

6. weslinder

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm biased, but I think the drink with Sishir will easily be the best part of the week. ;)

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

is the ron paul rally going week long or is it just one day?

hopefully it'll get some coverage.

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Don't forget your hat.

[​IMG]

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So Wes who do you think gives the Bill Clinton "Lets get behind the nominee" speech for the republicans? I mean, there does seem to be a need to have a come together moment for the people that aren't sold on McCain. So who makes the speech?

bush? Cheney?

11. weslinder

It's Sunday through Tuesday, but only Tuesday is really a rally. My friend is going to a campaign training session on Monday.

mc mark,

If it's anything like the two state conventions I went to, the rally together speech will be done by every speaker Bush and Cheney are both speaking on Monday, and I think their effect is supposed to be minimized. Both Huckabee and Romney are speaking, and they can give a Come together speech with some credibility.

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Have a great time, wes. I'm jealous as hell. I haven't been to a convention since 92 and I'm jonesing bad this week.

Give em hell, dude.

13. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

I hope the RNC sucks :p

someone had to say it ;)
    Have fun

14. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i heard huckabee was causing trouble on rush today regarding romney.

edit: hardly a come together

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=73556

15. Major

Major Member

Very cool! If you get a chance, let us know the quirky things that happen that don't get covered on TV. Any behind-the-scenes drama and the like!

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

all i want to know is when is bush speaking? i want to see the reception.

i can't wait. bill clinton got a 5 minute standing ovation and he had to tell them to sit down and shut up before they stopped. what kind of response bush will generate? lol

17. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

what do you think will happen?
    Republicans are crazy united...I have no doubt that a standing ovation will occur for pres. bush...and you know what, it might be a great thing for the dems...that way they can show the entire nation how delusional these neo-cons are.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

trust me, if they do give him a 5 minute ovation where he has to tell them to sit down and be quite 5 times before they do, mccain will lose.

if most americans can throw eggs at bush, they would do it without hesitation.

i'm sure the RNC will go well b/c they don't have to deal with the unity problem like the DNC had to address.

at the end of the day, it's about the hard campaigning afterwards at the critical swing states that will decide this election. and i heard bill and hillary will be with obama on several critical states and campaign together. that's huge.

19. flipmode

flipmode Member

a day in the life of a senator at the rnc:

8:00am - crawl out of bed, call in for delivery of genetically modified corn flakes and rbgh-enhanced milk from monsanto
    9:00am - leave hotel room, leave cab money for sleeping young page boy
    10:00am - cruise the bathrooms looking for wide-stances
    11:00am - redline legislation until it porks in a statue of rush/savage/bill
    12:00pm - drink your lunch (bloody mary, made with real blood from bald eagles)
    1:00pm - vpn into fox news and pick up super-secret-santa list (last one in usually draws cheney's name... :( )
    2:00pm - leave grounds to do some coke
    3:00pm - hit the penny arcades and play sunsetriders, pretending the bad guys are muslims
    6:00pm - coke wears off, someone's speaking?
    7:00pm - two minutes hate
    7:02pm - start nodding in agreement with the speaker, doesn't matter what they're saying
    7:30pm - early bird dinner is ending at luby's, get there quick
    8:00pm - pray for the protection of your religious brethren exclusively, screw the rest of em
    8:15pm - tuck in with a cup of tea and your framed photo of joe lieberman ("secret agent joe-0-7")

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Did you write that, flipmode? You could almost be our Traitor George.

And if you didn't write it but left out the link, that's cool too. You could be our basso.

On second thought, please don't. We really don't need one of either of those.