1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Leaning Orlando Sentinel's endorsement for president in 2020: Not Donald Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Jun 18, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well, they do. With perhaps misguided good intentions for some of them, but in general the way the left is going is highly destructive to America. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I don't expect you to see this and you'll just attack me again without actually understand where I am coming from. There are huge changes afoot in American politics, and it's not the same simple "left right" liberal conservative thing we were taught in school. Things are no longer this simple. At the moment, the modern leftist movement is radical and not moderate at all. The idea of having a border offends them, just as one example. I'd say not wanting a border, or to obstruct defending it, IS destroying America in a very real way.

jcf likes this.
  2. jcf

jcf Member

I get that, but I think there has been far more of an obstructionist policy from the minority party since Bill Clinton was in office. I think each time one side does something, it opens the door for the other side to replicate and/or one up the conduct.

We are now at a point where most of the Democratic candidates are competing to be the most progressive to an extent that completely turns me and I assume many others off.

And when the leading Democratic candidate discusses pragmatically working with people that you may completely disagree with, the others (except for Warren) jump on him and demand an apology.

I'm pretty turned off by the whole sordid mess on both sides.

Os Trigonum and dachuda86 like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Great way to put it.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How do you pragamticly work with people who believe that black people shouldn't mingle with white people?

There are notions that are beyond reaching across the isle. Segregation and Jim Crow are beyond working across the isle.

Public infrastructure or health care policy is what reaching across the isle is for, not for appeasing segregationists.

5. jcf

jcf Member

Biden was referring to an earlier period of time where unfortunately those views were more prevalent than now.

I really don't think Biden meant to say he could work with a pro-segregation politician today. However, both sides are going to have to work together on issues like immigration where each side may need to compromise for the country.

I'm going to let you have the last word (whatever it is) because I am about to crash. peace.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay here's my last word.

Do you think people who fought against segregation during the Jim Crow era and refused compromise were partisan hacks then?

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I hope American's don't reward the escalated divisiveness and move back to the more workable system of governance. And you are correct, the idea of compromise is now seen as weakness and even here on this board people criticize even the thought of compromise between parties.

So that now, when everyone is looking (supposedly) for a "moderate" candidate, folks attack the very idea that a candidate believes working together, even with those you have deep disagreement, is a worthy goal for those in government.

We will see what happens in 2020... but I suspect a second term of the current environment will only increase the same when it swings back to towards the left... since what would be the reasons that a next Democrat have for working with republicans ever again? Getting actual legislation passed no longer seems the goal of our government.