1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Debate live from University of Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Feb 25, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The same argument was made in 2008 and it proved to be false. Hillary supporters went and voted for Obama just like Sanders supporters will in 2016. And the 2008 campaign was longer and more vitriolic than this one.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Which resulted in massive turnouts and dismantles your argument. Trump is getting the turnout in primaries.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a very real possibility which is why I've been pointing out that Trump is antithetical to almost everything that Sanders stands for.

If you really believe in that the wealthy of this country have rigged the system against everyone else there is no reason you should support Trump.

Trump is the 1%. If you think he cares for the working people of this country I'm sure all the people who lost their jobs in Atlantic City will say otherwise. If you think the wealthy are taking advantages of laws for their own advantage consider how Trump brags that he takes advantage of bankruptcy laws to his own benefit.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No it doesnt. This campaign is far shorter and for all the Bernie hype, the math isn't there in the actual primaries.

2008 was a genuine two horse race that couldve gone either way. In fact if the Republican primary rules were used, Hillary would have won.

Turnout goes up when races are truly competitive (like the Republican race). In the case of the Democrats, Hillary has had this aura of inevitability which doesn't help with turnout. Bernie isn't going anywhere and I think that will become clear in a week.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5/10; good effort, good try. At least she's been in government and can, plausibly, be expected to run for president.

Donald Trump was hosting a reality television with Dennis Rodman a few years ago.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He was also doing business, making money, building structures, mentoring business owners.

He's done more in a year than these congressman sitting on their asses waiting for the next election cycle.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My right wing in-laws are visiting and wanted to watch the debate so I surrendered the big screen (watched Lip Sync Battle and the Rockets game in my daughter's room). As I was setting up the TV the one thing that seemed to really impress them was the plane he flew in on... they probably would vote for him, just for that.

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

You know, what's interesting to me is this notion that The Donald has to have or articulate a "plan" if he's serious about governing...let alone winning nominations or the Presidency.

Say whatever it is you want about Donald Trump (...please...), but the one thing he does understand is that public elections are as much about theater as they are (or are not) about substance.

That much has been true for as long as these things have been televised.

Our "rights" in this country are very personal, and lend more often than not in their habitual exercise to impulse and catharsis. What we can and cannot do defines us as much as what we look like or how much money we make (or take, in the case of Negroes like myself)...

I remember my mother spent a good portion of her adult life denied the right to vote. And when she finally "won" that right, she voted her emotions. She did what she felt was right.

She has told me on several occasions that she has no regrets about voting for Ronald Reagan twice for example, but that she now understands how important it is to do more than vote your heart.

I didn't begrudge her her impulses, once I understood why she voted the way she did. But she has since become much more sober in her viewpoints, and tends to advise me (whenever I so inquire) to do what is best for everybody...and not simply what feels best to me.

Like you and others have pointed out, FranchiseBlade...Donald Trump's "appeal" has no basis in "politics" as we would like to believe.

It's interesting that people that seek to relegate Donald Trump's "populism" or "electability" to simple ignorance or uninformed or misinformed electorates, do so with the purpose of trying to hide the very things that they claim to not understand about Trump's run...

...and what kind of comment would I be making if it were not in the tried-and-true, race-baiting-slave-minded-Negro vein...?

...as far as plans go, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Donald Trump inevitably wins the Republican presidential nomination, that he doesn't put some established policy person on the ticket with him...because as much rancor as there is now, if the reality is that Donald Trump can win (what our political discourse has finally descended into--binary positions)...the Grand Old Party is going to coalesce behind him...

...because winning's the thing, right?
    Who the heck cares how you govern after that?

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Ok, so Bernie supporters, who are supposed to be the furthest left voters in the electorate, would choose Trump over Hillary? Does Bernie have some pull in the middle that we're unaware of?

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can understand some Berners refusing to vote for Clinton, even when the chips are down, but I can't comprehend why any would vote for Trump.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

I think most would rather have an outsider in the Whitehouse PERIOD. Doesn't matter if it's even Trump. Trump isn't a religious kook, bought by special interest, and part of the "club" that is Washington elites.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

An outsider with the political rhetoric, hate, and bravado of Benito Mussolini? No thank you.
    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="JAoyUGi"><a href="//imgur.com/JAoyUGi">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I mean, they are only a surreal hairpiece apart. Think.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

Shouldn't a President represent the will and reflection of American people?

Guess what. Trump is the reflection of American society, like it or not.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe 33% of any population, at any time, can be swayed by fear and xenophobia. Maybe that is true. That's not a whole society, sorry.

Usually, these people are not given a forum to fully vent this animalistic fear and tribalism. But once in a great while, they are told it is okay, or even good, to ignore data (e.g. illegal immigration is plummeting, e.g. 2 a wall is patently stupid and medieval) and to blame all their problems on other people. It is very seductive -- easy, emotional answers always are. The better angels of our collective nature must fight this, tooth and nail.

Having studied certain historical periods in deep detail, I feel I can say confidently that this Trump business is not something to mess around with. I pray America is the kind of country that will not slip that far backward. We will see. Larger economic forces of the oligarchy and in the media have helped shape this, for their own ends, and we may all reap the bitter rewards.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yes it does. 2008 Obama got massive turnout. Trump is getting massive turnout. Hillary isn't. Young people excited about Bernie aren't going to show up in droves to vote for Clinton. All the air will be let out of the Dem side with Clinton.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

That's the point! Theres a reason the media on both sides and the elite on both sides are doing everything they can to destroy Trump. They are scared! They are scared that they can't control him and that the wool is about to be removed from the Ameircan people's eyes.

The Rich and powerful love the idea of us regular folk squabbling about Right vs left. It keeps us preoccupied with the stupid game that is politics.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The political elites maybe. The media has been Trump's biggest enabler.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately I have to spread more rep before I can give it to you again.

Another great post. And it brings up a good point. The emotions is a valid thing because it's part of the job of the President to help morale. The president isn't totally a figure-head, but the job is part figure-head.

It's one of the reasons why Reagan was so popular and is still thought of so highly. He made people (in general) feel good about being Americans like they hadn't in a long time.

Of course many of the same people think Reagan is great who are worried whether Obama is really a Muslim secretly operating on a terrorist agenda and is weak on foreign policy have nothing to say about Reagan sending arms to the Iranians who had captured and held Americans hostage for an extended period of time.

They don't mind that Reagan drove up the debt, vetoed sanctions against South Africa, had Americans taken hostage during his reign by other foreign groups. He talked tough, and sold people on the idea that he and America were standing firm, and wouldn't be afraid to demolish anyone who would challenge us.

Trump is doing something similar now. He's tapping into people's anger and disgust, while claiming that he can make it all better even though he hasn't detailed how that will happen.

It's all about feelings with that guy.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Of Course. . .cause the alternative is so monsterous

Rocket River

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Hillary is not a 1%? She and Bill made over 100+ M over the years through books and speeches. Not to mention the shady foundation which receive money from all kinds of people.

According to her, she is still not truly well off. LOL, talking about greedy.