1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Candidates for 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, May 17, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Excited by Kasich's results, but keeping it in perspective. I'm just glad he's still in it. I'm hoping he can take this momentum and replace Rubio as the 3rd man in this 3-man race while holding off Jeb(!) and all of his $$$.

I know it's still a longshot, but maybe Kasich can eventually consolidate all the sane voters while Trump and Cruz split the insane voters.

Of course, even if the insane vote is split....both halves might still be more than the sane vote.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm happy to see Kasich do well but this is still going to be a tough race for him. Remember how it looked like Rubio had all the momentum after IA? Things for those vying to be the Trump / Cruz alternative are still very fluid and could change quickly.

I'm expecting Christie to drop so that could be a plus for Kasich, who I suspect will pick up a lot of Christie voters.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Kasich is one of sane Republicans left in this race.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can't see him totally flaming out in a debate the way Rubio did.

Kasich's problem going forward is going to be money...or lack thereof.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His problem isn't money it's that his high water mark (last night) was getting 15.8% of the vote in a small northeastern state....in "horse race style" political commetary this is indicative of momentum..in reality it's not that impressive. The crazies won last night...again.

This is the fruit of epistemic closure.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NEW: Chris Christie expected to formally suspend his presidential campaign as early as today, <a href="https://twitter.com/ABC">@ABC</a> News has learned <a href="https://t.co/wdHfW9JUEA">pic.twitter.com/wdHfW9JUEA</a></p>&mdash; ABC News (@ABC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ABC/status/697444192193265664">February 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Nook

Nook Member

Of course he is, the McRib comes back out in the North East on Friday.

2 people like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Kasich is great but he doesn't have the energy or momentum like Bernie seems to have built. Trump has corralled all of that Republican energy it seems and Trump isn't going anywhere anytime soon unfortunately.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fiorina, she gone.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

1 of 7. Suck it haters (assuming Christie does drop out).

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisChristie">@ChrisChristie</a> has suspended his campaign for the GOP presidential nomination. <a href="https://t.co/mz6eQulThr">https://t.co/mz6eQulThr</a>. <a href="https://t.co/Oxchijw1kn">pic.twitter.com/Oxchijw1kn</a></p>&mdash; CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) <a href="https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/697535144907960320">February 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's official.

12. The Stig

The Stig Member

Who will get Fiorina and Christie's votes now? It's a small number but could be beneficial.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Trump's VP?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone stupid enough to support Christie would probably be a Trump person and Fiorina's voters probably go to Cruz

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll vote for Kasich if he is nominated.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's almost no chance of that though. He befitted from a left leaning voter base in New Hampshire (some of which were probably actually Democrats) just like Trump did but those guys have no real shot at the nomination.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FIFY.

If Kasich can have a decent showing in SC (3rd place or better), I think he can do some serious damage come March 1. He's going to start getting converts from Rubio who was considered the leading sane one...but clearly is not. I think he might even pick up some of Christie's votes.

I'm just glad we won't have to hear Fiorina's terrible voice again (and constant lies...I mean she has 0 ability to tell the truth even when it's presented to her). With any luck, it's the last we'll hear of her. She's been a perennial loser since getting fired from HP. She's become the Browns of politics. I'm not sure what Carson's polling is telling him, but it's done. If he wants to have any effect on the race, he should drop out now and endorse whomever he's going to endorse so that the last 3 people still pulling for him can move on with their lives.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, as a moderate Kasich is the only guy I would even consider voting for.

Shame was has happened to the right.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Trump actually would have a chance in a head to head vs the democrats.

Could steal New York and other demo states.

He has to be the favorite right now for the republicans.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Carson and Bush cut out.

Bush staying in longer is key for Trump.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On what are you basing the idea of Trump stealing New York from the Democrats?