1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reports: Tigers complete trade for Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Shroopy2, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2007/12/reports_cabrerawillis_to_tiger.html

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Great additions for the Tigers, but they paid a huge prospect price... a friend of mine is a Tigers fan in Michigan and he was more upset about losing Miller and Maybin.

3. Fatty FatBastard

I don't know anything about their prospects, but I'm amazed anyone would have a problem with it for these two.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Dontrelle's the key to the deal. He's declined the past couple years so was he worth giving up a top of the line prospect plus some extras for? Cabrera's a stud, no doubt he's worth it. For a team like the Tigers that are 2 years from the World Series and are still a solid team, nice move for them.

Might slam the Marlins for never keeping their high money players. If this low budget approach ends up getting them a World Series every 10 years for whatever reason, thats still more than A LOT of teams can say.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This shows what is possible when you have a decent farm system. The entire Astros farm system may not be worth Cabrera by himself.

6. Kam

Kam Member

I think if you're Detroit, would you be concerned about Miguel Cabrera's waist size? He has ballooned.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Andrew Miller is what, 20? And had some good outings--and at the least, MLB experience--last season.

Maybin is also a stud from what I hear.

I like the deal from both sides really..

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I was just reading a story about him and it talked about him losing a pretty good deal of weight and getting into good shape

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

if we spent just a quarter of what Roger Clemens gets paid in a season on prospects, we'd have a very good farm system. If we spent half of what Rocket gets, we'd have a top 3 system.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

I like the deal for both sides as well.
    Anyone of us would have put in some lackluster efforts on the mound with the marlins if we were in D-trains position. The marlins have just been waiting for their next crop of youngsters to get in position to make another world series run.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

D-train was a good pitcher about 2 years ago but since then his wins have gone way down and his era has skyrocketed from 2.63 to 5.32.

Now Cabrera on the other hand is great pickup for them.

12. Major

Major Member

This trade is so weird. Basically, the Marlins called up Detroit this morning and said "hey, you can have Cabrera and Willis for these 6 guys". Detroit called them back a few hours later and said "OK". WTF?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3141703

Florida didn't even approach the Tigers until Tuesday morning. The Marlins told the Tigers they could have the two stars for those six players, then Detroit called back about two hours later and agreed.

13. King of 40 Acres

Wow do the Marlins not have the Astros on speed dial or what. I would have given then Pence, Patton, and other key pieces for these 2 guys.

Cabrera has been losing weight this off-season and is a 40 HR 120 RBI threat and Willis is capable of a 20 win season with a sub 3.00 era. You might be mortgaging the future, but you'd have a damn good shot at winning now.

14. BigM

BigM Member

seems like a good deal for both sides and looks like florida got something before dontrelle is totally worthless. i mean jose lima was good for about as long as willis was and dontrelle's been BAD going on two seasons. maybe a change of scenery will help him out.

the key for detroit is that cabrera will probably retire as one of the greatest players in baseball history and he's still a baby. it's hard to look bad in a trade when you're getting a talent like that in return.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Pence is a good player, but the only comparison between Patton and the pitching prospect Detroit gave up is that they're both leftys. Patton's upside is being an average major league pitcher - both Detroit prospects are supposed to be studs. And there are no other 'key pieces' in the farm - the Stros just don't have those kind of young players anywhere in the system.

16. ArtV

ArtV Member

I heard on the radio coming in that the Marlins payroll is now $8 million dollars. :eek:

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Miller and Maybin are, sorry Astros fans, better than Pence and anyone else in the Astros farm system. Hell, they might be better than any other team's top 2 prospects. I can easily see why the Marlins made this trade. From what I have read the other 4 players that Florida got will be, at best, solid major leaguers one day. They basically don't care about that because of the two studs they got in Miller and Maybin.

Meanwhile, the Tigers offense is going to be very good - we're talking about scary good. Take a look at this:

C - Pudge Rodriguez
    1B - Carlos Guillen
    2B - Placido Polanco
    3B - Miguel Cabrera (Brandon Inge could play 3B if they put Miggy in LF)
    SS - Edgar Renteria
    LF - Marcus Thames (although Miggy will play here if Inge is at 3B)
    CF - Curtis Granderson
    RF - Magglio Ordonez
    DH - Gary Sheffield

I am guessing they will have Granderson lead off followed by Polanco and then probably Ordonez, Cabrera, Sheffield, Guillen, Renteria, Pudge :eek: , and Thames/Inge batting 9th.

Sorry but this lineup has surpassed the Yankees and Red Sox and anyone else as the best offense. Their pitching won't be as good as this offense (but which pitching would?) but they won't be bad with Willis joining Verlander and Bonderman (I'm not sure how good Kenny Rogers will be but he will be a wildcard for them) in the rotation. I would worry about their depth in both the rotation and bullpen now that they have lost Jurgens and Miller (Jurgens was traded to the Braves in the Renteria deal). If the Red Sox get Johan Santana, then they have the best rotation in the majors - they may still have it even without Santana. It will be exciting to see a great rotation like the Red Sox (assuming they have Santana) trying to shut down this offense.

18. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Great trade for the Tigers, Willis was already getting lit in the NL, his ERA will jump even more going to the AL.

Adding Cabrera to that lineup is huge, that lineup is dangerous now. Adding Renteria and Cabrera to a already good lineup with Granderson/Ordonez and Sheffield. That **** is not fair.

I'm not to big on the lefty Miller, but Maybin is going to be a stud in this league.