1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reporter Apologizes to Duke Lacrosse Players

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by halfbreed, Apr 25, 2007.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/566959.html

To Duke accused: I'm sorry
    Ruth Sheehan, Staff Writer

Members of the men's Duke lacrosse team: I am sorry.

Surely by now you know I am sorry. I am writing these words now, and in this form, as a bookend to 13 months of Duke lacrosse coverage, my role in which started with a March 27 column that began:

"Members of the men's Duke lacrosse team: You know. We know you know."

That was when Durham police and District Attorney Mike Nifong were describing a "wall of silence" among the men who attended the now-vaunted lacrosse party at 610 Buchanan Blvd. Nifong, now described by the state attorney general as a "rogue prosecutor," was widely respected as solid, even understated.

Though wrong, my initial column was cheered by hundreds of readers.

Last weekend, our public editor, Ted Vaden, laid me low for that first column, and the second, which called for the firing of lacrosse coach Mike Pressler. According to Don Yeager, a former Sports Illustrated staffer who is writing a book about the case, Pressler blames me for his dismissal. I'm sorry he ended up coaching at a Division III school.

But, lest my reporting on Duke lacrosse over the course of a year be reduced to two early columns, let me remind you that I did not just throw those two Molotov cocktails and remain mute for nine months before declaring myself "naive." My lacrosse columns numbered 14.

On April 13, 2006, two weeks after the first column, I drew comparisons between the Alleged Victim and Tawana Brawley: "If lying, take her to task."

In June, I said it was time for a special prosecutor to step in.

And on Jan. 1, I called on Nifong to do what the attorney general finally did: drop the charges. I also acknowledged publicly how wrong I had been.

For many, that wasn't enough. When the former players were declared innocent, I received 75 copies of my March 27 column (or parodies of it) and as many requests for an apology.

Here it is: I am sorry.

I would have written sooner, but for my husband's quadruple bypass surgery.

Now the lacrosse case heads to the State Bar, which barely slapped the wrists of prosecutors whose misdeeds have nearly gotten two men wrongly executed. But this one may be safe enough even for the Bar's rubber-vertebraed disciplinary committee to tackle. We'll see.

Meantime, beyond the apology, I wanted to commend the three men wrongly accused in this case for looking beyond their own troubles to other cases of injustice.

In particular, I was impressed with the statement of former team captain Dave Evans, who noted that without his parents' resources, and the fine lawyers they hired, "this could simply have been brushed underneath the rug just as another case, and some innocent person would end up in jail for their entire life."

My challenge to readers is to take up Evans' larger cause -- reforming the state's grand jury system and ensuring fair treatment for all people accused of crimes. Not just the privileged.

With that, I'll end what I hope will be my final column on the Duke lacrosse case.

This has been difficult territory. I'm paid to write about what I think as things happen. But rest assured, I know my errors. And now you know I know.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Al Sharpton, it's your turn to apologize.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Imus was guilty...and admitted it.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more.

However Imus sucks....why are we bringing his racist ass into this.

Hell they are both racists.

#4 mateo, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Sharpton's long overdue apology for being a hypocrite has nothing to do with Imus' apology. Yeah, I know we are all hypocrites but Sharpton makes a living doing it and facilitated the end of Imus' run on the air. Who's going to pick up Imus' load in helping kids with cancer, wounded vets from Iraq/ Afghanistan, and the cause of Autism?

Yeah, Imus is despicable... :rolleyes:

#5 giddyup, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Good Job

Now Al Sharpton.....

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I think he's referring to Sharpton's role in the Duke scandal and not the Imus situation, though I could be wrong.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If you notice, this thread is about Duke. Not Imus. Al Sharpton owes the Duke players an apology.

Does Sharpton owe Imus an apology for inciting a lynch mob to take him down over a relatively innocuous joke? yeah, probably, but that'd be too little too late.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

my bad...carry on.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sharpton and Jackson need to apologize.

DD

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I just misread it but that is about the most 1/2 @ssed 'apology' that I've ever read. She starts by saying how misunderstood and nuanced her position was and covers all the bases of why you shouldn't hate her, even dropping the 'quadruple bypass' to try and garner a little sympathy.

I get the feeling from reading this that either someone told her to apologize, or she was getting so much hate mail that she felt she had to.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

While it would be nice for Sharpton to apologize the people who really need to apologize are the Prosecutor, which he has, and the woman who made a false accusation.

Its a fact that the Lacrosse players where arrested and charged with a crime. This was false but its unlikely Sharpton or anyone else gets involved without those charges.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But it could be argued that the heavy handedness by Sharpton and others forced the prosecutor to file charges before a more thorough investigation could occur.

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

^ That still is at the prosecutor's discretion. Sharpton can't legally force the prosecutor and if the prosecutor gave into public pressure from Sharpton then he's not a very good prosecutor to begin with.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sort of a weak apology but at least she tried, which is more than you can say for the others who publically chastised the players

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kind of like broadcasting companies and advertisers caving in to pressure.(but I digress :) )

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well at least the reporter apologized. The gang at Chicago Sun-Times, columnist Michael Sneed who picked up the internet rumor that a Chinese national committed V-Tech mass shooting, Editor Michael Cooke and Managing Editor Don Hayner who then ran the story on their paper, are still defiant, unrepentant, and unapologetic about their shoddy journalism.

The sh*tty Chicago Sun-Times now sinks to the bottom of the US media list.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Asians are the most ignored group in the US by everyone including Asians. Sad but true.

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You need to apologize for that stupid math question.

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Oh I am so surry! :D