1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Warriors' Klay Thompson looking for a max extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 20, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Speaking of Green, if he learns to hit his treys with greater regularity I'd love to make a run at him for our starting 4 spot. Definitely undersized, but his feisty defense, confidence and ability to hit open jumpers would be awesome.

He's getting paid next to nothing right now and should be thrilled with an MLE-type salary

2. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Green is on pace to get more than mle. I think he would be a good fit for us too.

3. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Which team would not do this trade:

Klay, Lee, Barnes and Speights for Sullinger, Bradley, Bass and Young.

Bradley/Livingston/young can replace Klay for a lot less money. Sully and Bass would upgrades defensively from Lee and provide solid spacing.

Rondo, Klay, Wallace, Lee, Olynyk would be a solid two-way lineup. Jeff Green,
    Smart and speights could lead the bench mob. Down the line, Smart and Barnes could get you a key piece too. I think that team would be top 5 in the east.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You are probably right about Green's future salary; just wishful thinking on my part. As for the proposed trade, GSW would be pretty damned stupid to break up Curry and Klay (especially if it was a cost-cutting move like this). Having said that, although this trade looks decent on paper, Klay and Barnes have higher trade value than that.

5. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Getting rid of Lee/speights money is a win and comes with a price. Bradley is an elite defender and can shoot the 3....and costs only 8mil. Sullinger is Love-lite. I don't think Barnes' value is that high anymore but I do think he has some value.

Curry, Bradley, Iggy, Sullinger, Bogut
    Green, Livingston, Bass leading the bench.

Not only does it cut costs I think it makes them better. Very good on both ends. Can play big or small.

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

With the new NBA cable deal, the salary cap is going to go up in the near future. The Warriors would be smart to extend Thompson at maximum before the 10/31 deadline. Lock him in at the old rates. But I'm not sure if Thompson wants to be extended now. He may opt to wait for 2016 for a bigger payday.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That's not how it works, the actual price is determined by being ~23.55% of the cap for the year the contract starts, the max is a percentage, not a dollar value.

#107 Aleron, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  8. Sanity2disChaos

Get your money kid.

9. Sanity2disChaos

10. Amir's Johnson

I'm pretty sure Klay Thompson already got the max contract.
    [​IMG]

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Already a nice collection for Klay at such a young age. Been dating only dimes.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

So the Warriors don't want to pay Klay max money, and I can understand that. Klay is a great shooting guard and is a great defender but he will never be a true star, in my opinion. But, they didn't go through with the Love trade to keep Klay, who is a definite max player.

So either the Warriors are really cheap or pretty dumb. Probably both.

But, Klay will get paid someway, especially if he gets girls like that. She's gorgeous.

13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

That's not how what works? In 2016, the new cable deal starts which will increase the salary cap by like 45%. This means, in 2016, Klay Thompson can sign a much larger max deal than if he were to sign one today. So, what I'm saying is that the Warriors might want to lock him in at max today if they can. Klay may want to do a one extension after this season instead. Lebron took a two year deal specifically so he can sign a higher max deal in 2016.

14. SPBR

SPBR Member

Dumb move by Warriors. If they didn't think Thompson was max, they should've done the Love for Thompson+Lee deal. Thompson is a solid shooter with some D, but not nearly as difficult to replace as Love. With cap expected to rise, what's the hesitation?

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

klay reminds me of the anti parsons.

drafted pretty high compared to chandler. the dude has one of the best looking strokes in the league and he is still on an allowance with him only getting 400 dollars a week to spend comapred to champaging and campaigning like fat parsons. + his women > chan chan.

i wouldnt hesitate to give him 15 with the new cba making it feel like 9-10mill.

thier also stuck paying him because they could of traded him for love.

16. Aleron

That's not how max deals work, if Klay signs a max deal extension right now, his first year will be exactly the same amount as if he signs a max deal in the next offseason. You don't save any more signing someone to a max rookie extension early. He doesn't have the financial security to pull a Lebron and sign some dinky 1 year deal designed to maximize his max contract, so it'll be in 2015 either way.

#116 Aleron, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  17. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I think there are a few players in Klay Thompson's shoes...like Deandre Jordan as well, that may want to sign a short deal so they can re-up in 2016. Klay can ask for a deal like the Lakers gave Jordan Hill or something. Whatever the case, all I'm saying is that the Warriors should be interested in extending Klay long-term this season because, by 2016, his contract won't be as big of a hit to their cap compared to players of his calibur that they can sign post 2016.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

or he could just sign anouther teams offer sheet and make the warriors match some team will do it

19. Aleron

DeAndre and Klay aren't really in the same situation at all, DeAndre's coming off a near 45m contract, with other **** which means he probably has ~$20m stashed away, adding an extra 5-6 and looking to cash in at the end is a very different risk to having probably 3-4 total like Klay does.

DeAndre's not a max deal player either, his max is a fair bit higher than Klay's also, I could see 5 yr 75m, but i don't think waiting a year would drastically alter that.

20. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Deandre's last contract was $43M. After income tax, that really equates to about $23M. You can't assume anything about the spending habits of NBA players, but I'm pretty sure Deandre spent a bit more than $3M in the last 4 years. And maybe Klay has extra stability because his dad is a former NBA player that seemed to manage his money ok. Who knows how much money these guys have saved. I know I've got more money than Allen Iverson and he made a few max contracts in his day.

Both Klay and Deandre are players on the brink of being all-stars. In all likelihood, both will be worth more next year than this year. In Deandre's case, he really needs to have another season like last year to dispel any notion that last year was a fluke. And maybe he leads the league in blocks along with rebounds this year. The Clippers offered to extend him, but I'm sure he knows some team out there will offer him an outrageous contract if he asks. Both Klay and Deandre should look for Jordan Hill like contracts. 2 years and outrageous amount...then hit the jackpot in 2016.