1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Warriors' Klay Thompson looking for a max extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 20, 2014.

1. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I'm speaking of Harden.

Some vodka would be great though.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

why is Thompson's PER so low? he averages 18 points in only 35 min.

3. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

He was coming off consecutive years worth of recurring injuries. He was pretty fortunate he got the contract he did then.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Doesn't get to the line very often, turns it over a fair bit, doesn't stuff the stat sheet in other ways (rebs, asts etc). This is probably a good example of PER underrating a player because his defense and elite shooting ability spacing the floor aren't really reflected.

5. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

*best player, but still not saying much on a team of average role players.

6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Or his deal could just come back down to Earth in 3 years. Parsons is a nice player, but he was never a $15 million a year player. I don't believe that he'll get another contract like that.

7. split41

split41 Member

Klay's better than Parsons and Hayward imo

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There's a reason why Skip Bayless says as a Spurs fan he's more afraid of Harden than he is of Durant, and that series is partly why.

9. haydenfisher342

my brother is a GSW fan, and we love to watch basketball. Ive watch 50-75% of the GSW games.

Would not give him max. Im shocked that GSW values him more than Love. Its a no brainer to me, you make that trade.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I got offered a max but turned it down

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Doesn't do much else.

But he has the skills to be a 22-23ppg type of scorer if he was the #1 option. But he lacks the playmaking skills of Curry's.

12. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I only watched 5 or 6 Warriors games last year, but it makes him sound like Kevin Martin with a bit of defense. Overrated from what I've seen of him, though I do think he's a good player. Definitely has not proven to be a max player yet.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

cray thompson

14. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Watch the playoff series vs the Clippers. Thompson was one of the major reasons the Warriors took it to 7 games...primarily his defense, but he was putting up the offensive numbers too. Too many people rate players primarily on offense only. Remember, the only reason the Thunder dumped Harden to the Rockets was because the Warriors refused to trade Klay Thompson for him. At the time, Harden wanted a max contract and the Thunder would not be able to keep him at max along with Ibaka. They chose to keep the core of Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka together instead. They wanted Klay Thompson, but again, the Warriors saw Harden as primarily a scorer and they already had Curry. Thompson does it on both ends.

15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This would be a bad contract but not as bad as Kobe's (based solely on basketball reasons)

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Players like Thompson, Parsons only still only seem to be worth 9-12 million to me. Guess that's a thing of the past. Every good player is now worth the max apparently.

Its also totally unfair to players like Harden who are worth much more then players like Hayward and Parsons.

17. Raven

Raven Member

But the owners are robbing players blind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Thompson is a nice third player of a good team. He is a great role player, but he cannot create his own shot and he cannot create for someone else. I agree that he does not deserve the max, just like Hayward ad Parsons did not deserve max money.

If the rumors are true ande GS could have had Love if they had parted with Thompson than they are really stupid. Now Minesota wants more since they think they can get Wiggins.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

So...DMO is soon entitled to the Maxx..

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well the market dictates the price. Basically every team can easily afford 2 max players. So that means there are 60 max contracts available.

The big stars dictate where they go - and only a handful of teams have a real chance to get them. That means the rest will have to make it with lesser stars. And there are far less than 60 stars in the league.

Utah or Charlotte have no chance to sign a star. So they settle with what they can get - and to get players that are worth 12 million, they have to pay 15.

Basically to win in this league you have to be attractive enough, that players sign with you for less (or go into luxury territory with bird right players). You could argue Ariza did that for us, but he probably would be the only one so far (maybe Garcia last season).

It is puzzling to me, why Houston with Harden and Howard isn't a more attractive FA location.