1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Mayo violated NCAA rules at USC

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Illmatic, May 11, 2008.

1. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=806668

LOS ANGELES - A former associate of USC freshman guard O.J. Mayo claims the basketball star received thousands of dollars in cash and other gifts from an event promoter over the past four years that would violate NCAA rules, ESPN reported Sunday.

O.J. Mayo reportedly received thousands of dollars in cash and other gifts from an event promoter over the past four years.
    Louis Johnson told ESPN's "Outside the Lines," that Rodney Guillory, a Los Angeles-based event promoter, gave Mayo about $30,000 and other benefits while he attended high school and during his sole season at USC. Mayo has decided to forgo his sophomore year and enter the NBA draft.

Guillory received monthly payments from Northern California sports agency Bill Duffy Associates, the network reported.

Mayo signed with the same agency last month shortly after declaring that he would enter the June 26 draft, where he is expected to be a lottery pick.

Phone messages left Sunday for Bill Duffy Associates and at a home number listed in Guillory's name were not immediately returned.

Johnson said the agency provided Guillory with about $200,000 before Mayo arrived at USC. Guillory used most of the money to support his own lifestyle but also gave a portion of it to Mayo, Johnson told ESPN. Mayo then entered into a verbal agreement that allowed the agency to represent him when he turned pro, Johnson added.

Giving college athletes money or other gifts violates NCAA policy.

"I will not allow these allegations to become a distraction to me and my family," Mayo said in a statement to ESPN. "I have not engaged in any wrongdoing."

Mayo got into some minor trouble with the NCAA earlier this year after he accepted free tickets from Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony to an NBA game. Mayo didn't miss any games but had to contribute $460 - the total value of the two tickets - to a charitable organization.

USC said in a statement that NCAA and Pac-10 officials have looked into Mayo's status "before and during his enrollment at USC, and did not identify any amateurism violations."

Johnson said he doesn't believe USC officials knew Guillory provided cash and other benefits to Mayo. However, he claims some USC coaches had regular contact with Guillory.

Johnson, who claims he didn't get paid, also gave ESPN receipts and invoices for many of the purchases.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

my question is that even if he is found guilty of these benefits is there anything that happens to him personally? I mean I am sure the school will lose scholarships or something but him personally? Payback all the gifts and money? I mean he is going to be in the NBA soon and the amount in question (250k max, 30k of it went to him directly/indirectly) is going to be nothing for him. Could the NCAA somehow sue and land him in jail? It didnt stop Reggie Bush.

I swear USC and its shady shady treatment of athletes. Taj Gibson didnt even go to an accredited high school or anything. I hope they burn for this one.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The player should never be liable, ESPECIALLY not criminally when the only thing he is doing wrong is accepting money. No law against that. It's the schools that knowingly turn the blind eye to this kind of behavior and the renegade coaches that seem to have violations revolving around them everywhere they go (Huggins, Calipari are two big names that come to mind) that need to be severely punished. I hope USC loses more than just a year of postseason play for this.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think the player should definitely get penalized for accepting gifts. They're adults, they should know better. But penalized way less than ones offering it to them.

USC = UnSeen Cash payouts

6. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

Blame Carmello Anthony

7. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

It was just shown on ESPN, lol, the snitch said oj was pimped

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Melo's gift was because they were friends and I think floyd allowed it similar to how dunleavy's other kid is on the the usc team and went to clipper games or somtehing. melo's gift was questioned though and floyd took the blame for that one.

either way i saw some of the ESPN report and its was pretty damaging they had hard evidence and Guillory they tried to cold interview and he basically said no comment multiple times and tried to leave as soon as possible. it was clear he was very uncomfortable though with the confrontation.

even when they tried to talked to Mayo about it he had this look on his face but i dont blame him as much the kid is payed to play basketball (oh wait he wasnt supposed to be yet) not answer questons like that. either way he just said no comment you dont want a kid to answer something to get misconstrued.

USC been so arrogant in their recruiting processes and all its sickening. I am not a fool every school does it in some sort of way thats for sure but its not as blatant. I remember when a few of the USC players used to come over to the UCLA for parties and hang out in westwood and they all had tricked out escalades. and this was the beginning of their rise in football. before they got the big names.

same this year my friend who goes to usc says they all just live a totally different life there.

not a big fan of the nba rule myself because its not fair to real student athletes.