1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Iran's scientific progress fastest in the world

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I just came across this Canadian report which is quite interesting, shows scientific progress being made by various regions and countries. Apparently Iran and Turkey are at the forefront in 'growth' of knowledge in the Middle East. An interesting note: Iran's scientific growth/progress has been most notable under the current Islamist regime, more specifically in the period following the end of the 8-year war with Iraq. The report seems to suggest Iran may actually outshine China on scientific advancement in the near term, and points to a possible correlation between that and Iran's expansion of its nuclear program/military capabilities (this is of particular interest to me since I've done research on this topic). Indeed, our own experience in the U.S. seems to bear that out -- numerous key scientific achievements/innovations/breakthroughs came to fruition through military-sponsored programs. So the military-industrial complex has played a key role in our own experience as a nation.

You can read the report for yourself, it is linked below at the end in PDF format

http://www.science-metrix.com/eng/company_new_t.htm

http://www.science-metrix.com/30years-Paper.pdf

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Iran's scientific progress fastest in the world
    _____

[​IMG]

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the fastest in the world because of the free market incentive. We all know that's what drives innovation. The unbridled way of doing business there without government interference should be a model.

5. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

are we talking about the same Iran? or did I miss something.

6. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

just curious if anyone thinks this could be due to the fact that they are "catching-up" with help of someone else? Russia, China...

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

don't forget Poland

8. mc mark

I don't see what the issue is here. If America is allowed enough warheads to destroy the world 20xs over, why shouldn't other countries have that right?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Iran: Leading the world in poorly photoshopped missile testing

10. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

In theory I agree with you whole heartedly... My only sticking point is the fact that they have expressed the desire on NUMEROUS occasions to use them on both us and Israel.. that is my issue with it. you should look at Ahmedinijad (spell) beliefs. He is a 12er, that is some scary fringe ****. I don't want to get all into what they believe because if i misquote the smallest detail i will get lambasted for it so you can research it yourself. The jist of it is though that they want chaos and bloodshed to rain to hasten the return of the 12th Imam. Alot of them also feel it is their job to make that happen. Get where I am going with this?

11. Pop Rox

Pop Rox Member

nice. like it

12. mc mark

If I remember correctly America is the only country that has used nuclear weapons (on civilians no less) so we really have no leg to stand on when it comes to dictating who should be allowed to have nuclear weapons.

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

And the regime in iran has the highest amount journalists, political prisnores and hanging in the world to.imagine the progress in that country if they had a democratic regime which put the nees of the people first.

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Oh yeah, did i mention them shooting innocent people in the streets and running over them or throwing them off brifges if they protest against the bruital dictatorship?

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

Nonsense.... It's not a moral question, it's a self-interested one.

Of course, the U.S. is for all practical purposes, powerless to stop Iran unless they do something stupid.

16. mc mark

Just because Iran gets the bomb that doesn't mean they are going to go off and destroy another country. The US would turn the country into a parking lot for a thousand years.

Iran knows this

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I still think there is going to be a war. If twenty years pass by and there isn't a war between Iran and the West, then it will be a miracle in my book.

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

It is only a non-credible threat if they are known to be rational.

I think they are rational, but they fall into trembling hand perfect equilibrium subset. The U.S. and Soviet Union were rational players, and on many occasions came close to nuclear war. Iran is no where near as stable, and so the best strategy is to keep them from playing the game at all. The only question we should ask is how far should we go to keep them out.

Morals and nuclear weapons... lol

1 person likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Look at the list of countries with nuclear weapons, and how they have (or have not) shown their rationality and sense of responsibility in the use of non-nuclear weapons.

What exactly has Iran ever DONE other than talk out of their asses? Have they ever used chemical weapons? Have they ever murdered their own people? Have they ever attacked another country other than in retaliation?

What war aggression have they shown exactly? What have they done, again, other than open their mouthes and say stupid things? Have they done anything that would concern you more than countries who already HAVE nuclear weapons showing an overly aggressive hand in war?

It's stupid frankly. As stated, Iran knows that dropping a whisker on Israel will mean a total demolition of their country and it won't even require the help of the US as the US has provided Israel with more than enough weaponry to attack Iran comfortably.

If you want Iran to scream less, support the change in government that every Iranian is dying for. Give them real air time on CNN, BBC, everywhere. Support them, make sure everyone in the world is continuously in support of them. That is more than enough to allow Iranians to put someone in place who better reflects their choices.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The perception seems to be that they've been waging a pretty strong proxy war for quite a while. That is where some people perceive bellicosity.