1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Houston Rockets have been searching market for ‘franchise centerpiece-worthy player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jan 20, 2022.

1. dmoneybangbang

Well.... we lost our franchise exactly 1 year ago. What should we be doing?

2. Nook

Nook Member

Agree..... the Hawks would be a very good fit. They may have some spacing issues with Capela and Simmons on the floor but they have some outside shooters.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

What do you mean wants to be the centerpiece? Does he want to be treated like a star player? Yes.... but he doesn't really want to shoot the ball, so I don't know that he is really trying to be THE centerpiece.... and he was fine with Embiid getting more shots and attention than he did.

I will never call Simmons mentally tough because he isn't or he would be a better shooter and scorer and would not be on the sidelines. However, I don't know that it is entirely fair to say he just gets upset when his weaknesses are pointed out because Rivers went beyond that and so did some players on the roster, and Simmons was far from the only guy who struggled down the stretch in the playoffs for that team.

I view Simmons mentally in a similar vein as I viewed Scottie Pippen and Pau Gasol ..... both were not leaders and both were flawed and mentally soft, but they were huge pieces to teams that won titles.

amaru, D-rock, Rashmon and 2 others like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's becoming increasingly clear you don't really understand basketball on more than a superficial level.

If you think all Embid does is clog the middle I just don't know what to say, and GS can have a player like Draymond because they have him surrounded by 2 of the greatest shooters of all time and other plus shooters.

People are tying themselves into knots trying to create a scenario where Simmons works on a good team, he is even struggling when he has an MVP type player next to him.

Oh, I forgot that MVP is just clogging the middle, getting in the way of Simmons.,:rolleyes:

xaos and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

This is a mistake, no one except them to be good yet, get that player from the draft.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I prefer my centers drop a 50 piece in less than 27 minutes of playing time. Any more floor time just leads to more clogging.

7. dmoneybangbang

We should be predatory and constantly asking around, but I feel like the offseason offers the most opportunities:

Celtics will probably underperform, what's going on with Jaylen Brown?

If PHX does well, can they keep Bridges and pay Ayton?

Bulls have a ton of guards, maybe the don't want to spend a max or super max on LaVine?

Zion is still eating delicious shrimp poboys, what's his availability?

Simmons?

I'm sure there are others.

Nook likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He said he wants his team and to have it built around him.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/09/2...uilt-around-him-spurs-got-nowhere-near-trade/

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/9/...r-ringer-ben-simmons-trade-philadelphia-76ers

How is it not fair to say that, its the biggest reason why he is sitting out.

Why do you think he wants to be traded in the 1st place/

It's not for more money or a better team or even more touches.

How can you compare Gasol and Pippen to Simmons both were never scared to take a shot at crunchtime and neither was scared to shoot from the outside.

How the hell could you ever compare Simmons to Pippen, we are talking about a HOF who came up big in big time games and never shrunk in the playoffs, the same for Gasol.

Simmons has come up small in the playofffs over and over again uyet you view him like 2 HOF. guys like Pippen and Gasol?

I don't even know what to do with that Nook.

I have never seen a 1st team all NBA player be as mentally weak as Simmons and then have the nerve to want his own team.

xaos and Nook like this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Imo... we should be building a culture right now...

We've spent how many years coddling a narcissistic megalomaniac in Harden... and hey, i get it - with his talent level you had to do what you had to do... but now we got the likes of KPJ and Wood acting a fool... We need to reset the mentality of this org...

Personally, I wanted JVG - maybe not long term but at least long enough to get guys heads straight and focused (and then shuffle him to fo when we are ready to move forward)... we need a hard nose team first coach thats gonna hold guys accountable - not a big fan of Thibbs but a similiar no nonsense mind set.... not you can walk out on the team at half time and only endure a 1 game suspension - thats crap!

We need a few guys in the locker room that can help develop the youngsters as they come into the league... all this 'he doesnt fit our timetable' is dumb... I'd love to have a winding down Steve Nash on this team to provide a knowledgeable base line that rookies can glomm onto... right now we got the blind leading the blind... as if having KPJ on the court is helping anybody else's development....

Personally, I'd be running the John Wall show up to the trade deadline - and hoping i could entice someone to pull the trigger... Look what we had to give up to move WB - then look at what the 76ers got for WB... we gotta be trying to create opportunities - not leaving 90M sitting on blocks in the front yard...

KPJ would be gone - or knows he's gonna be the org's bi*ch for the rest of the year... You walk out at half time - there's a price to pay - and it aint a 1 game suspension...

Time to move Wood... he's not coming across as a team player...

Everybodys about acquiring talent... but we dont have the systems in place to help that talent reach their potential... imo...

DeBeards likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

People has such a weird ass obsession for Simmons.

Man can't shoot, man is mentally weak.
    Just the fact that he is willing to sit out a season to not play with a great big like embid is the biggest red flag.

If the going gets tough, what stops him from. Boycotting and refuses to play for us. Assuming we waste a sht ton of assets to get him

cmoak1982 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are just trolling.

Thanks for letting me know.

12. steddinotayto

I think you bring up a good point (being a predator) and that's why trading players like Wood, Gordon, Augustin, etc should be prioritized right now. For me, it's not important as to where a potential 1st will land in next year's draft order but just having a 1st (unprotected would be ideal) period so we can stack our draft assets to pounce. Without using our own 2022 pick in any trades we would still have a core of Sengun, Green, whoever we pick with the 2022 pick, and, maybe, a young player like Ayton or Brown or whoever can be had.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Simmons, Wood, and KPJ would be unstoppable running the triangle offense.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

I was actually agreeing with your post. I'll remember to add a "/s" at the end of my sarcastic posts from now on.

xaos, cmoak1982 and jiggyfly like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I believe you should always be asking around but none of those guys move the needle much on a team this bad and how much money it will take to keep them in the near future.

What would you give up for Brown on that contract?

Why would you want Lavine on a max deal let alone supermax?

This is why I am team tank for a couple of years and letting the young guys play, all of those guys look like you will be forever bouncing around the play in game and the 5th seed.

Nook likes this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Building a cuture doesnt necessarily take talent - just determination, diligence and unwavering standards...
    Whether or not you pull the next Bron is a crapshoot... but any business owner can takes steps to ensure how business is transacted under his watch... imo...

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

There is not one Houston Rocket in the top 100 NBA players for assist-to-turnover ratio. I'd be willing to trade some valuable assets for a good PG. We have a bunch of quality scorers that could be developed so much better with a quality PG setting them up. It is our glaring position of need.

D-rock, Moe and Aruba77 like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My bad, I actually thought it might be that.

I thought you were the guy who had the original post I responded to.;)

cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  19. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I didn't watch all these Ls to just get Ben Simmons...

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does "building a culture" actually get you?

Name this great team that's built on Culture?

Verbal Christ likes this.