1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Houston Rockets have been searching market for ‘franchise centerpiece-worthy player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I would be fine if the Rockets got a top 4 pick in the 2022 draft and ended up with someone like Ivey or Banchero. They then would have Green, Banchero, a bunch of role players and possibly Ben Simmons. The young guys would be on rookie contracts, Simmons could initiate the offense and be the cornerstone defensively while the younger players are still on their rookie contracts. The Rockets could get outside shooting and scoring from Green/Ivey and wouldn't need to give all their picks from the NETS for Simmons.... the Rockets could keep their own picks as well most likely.

The team would need to add..... but a 1-3 of Green/Ivey/Simmons has a LOT of potential..... all three are exceptional athletes. Simmons and Ivey are very long, with 7'0" wingspans and Simmons as a creator is very good and would compliment Green. Defensively Simmons is the best in the world at what he does and Ivey is also a good defender with the skills to be elite..... Green would likely be in a spot like Curry where his physical limitations would be covered up....... that doesn't even get into Tate and Sengun and a few others on the roster.

D-rock, Rashmon and Htown Legend like this.
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This.

This is just Fireworks™ by another name.

3. MystikArkitect

There is a better chance for Morey to trade Ben Simmons to the Shanghai Sharks than there is for him to trade him to the Rockets. That's just not going to happen. Even though I agree with everything you said. Ivey/Green/Mathews/Simmons/Sengun is a fantastic core. Even KPJ/Green/Simmons/Any of the 3 PFS/Sengun is tantalizing as well. If we can get Green post injury and KPJ post meltdown every game I think the Rockets would be in pretty good shape.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Screw Ivey. He picked Purdue over ND. He obviously lacks the judgment necessary to be a good PG.

5. dmoneybangbang

Sounds good on paper.... But what do we have that the Sixers want?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How does anyone think this is news?

What could they be doing now that they have not been doing before?

DeBeards, Nook and FrontRunner like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Green definitely has the upside to be the best scorer in this group and it isn't far fetched to think that he could eventually be an elite scorer based on his athleticism, hand dexterity and ability to shoot. I don't know if he will be a better offensive player than a peak Cunningham because Green isn't the playmaker for others that Cunningham is.

Mobley is just an uber elite defender that can cover the perimeter and interior and the paint. Offensively he will not likely ever be an elite scorer, but he is certainly capable of scoring over 20 a night on efficiency, and with his lack of mistakes, that makes him a top 5-10 player in the league and likely the best player in this class.

Barnes has the most upside in this class because he has some ability in all facets of the game.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Got to draft, sign, or trade for stars. All the process is doing that. The big thing about the process is that it understands mistakes will likely happen, and that you can't build on a bad foundation. Being rigid in we're going to try to build around with what we have only works if what you have is rock solid.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why did you bring Kobe up?

What was the point?

It's crazy that people keep bringing Kobe up when talking about Green but yet not saying Green will become Kobe.

So why do it, there are tons of rookie guards who have struggled and then gone on to be good players yet for some reason Kobe keep getting used as a comparison.

What would going back and looking at Kobe's rookie games tell you?

They are totally different players size wise.

jogo likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

So then what is the best process for acquiring a top 20 or top 10 player? The magic word?

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

First it would likely be a multi team deal and would have to be during the summer.

The Rockets have lots of assets..... they have the 2022 1st Heat pick, they have the 2023 1st Bucks pick, 2024 Nets 1st..... 2026 1st from Brooklyn..... they also are likely to get more 1st's when they deal Wood/Gordon/Tate.

That doesn't even include the Rockets own #1's

D-rock, jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

or a few more draft busts away from being Donald Sterling's Clippers...

jus saying...lol

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I felt if Mobley isn't doing his thing on offense, at least he's a good defender who doesn't foul on the other end so it kind of sucks we don't have him

D-rock likes this.
  14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think people think too simplistically with Simmons. We did see him at his worst vs Atlanta, and yes, his shooting is a concern any way you slice it, but you need some imagination when it comes to someone like him.

Just throwing him on a team built around a 7-1" C (who excels most in the half-court) and asking him to be the PG/#2 option was never going to be conducive to his growth, and it was only a matter of time before an opponent exploited that in a 7-game series.

Now, if you have a team that runs, spreads the floor with shooters/versatility, and lets Simmons work with a high pace (and let him play safety on a switch-heavy defense -- where he's one of the best in the L), I guarantee his production and his confidence will spike. The key is having guys in the halfcourt that can create/score (Sengun? Green? Christopher?) when it comes down to it, but as long as we play 4 threats to shoot from 3, I don't think Simmons is as big of a liability as some want to think.

A 6'10" athletic triple double threat who's arguably the most versatile defender in the L is an incredible asset, and would be a huge addition to our young core. I think it's much easier to check the boxes Simmons' lacks (shooting, late-game 1-on-1 creation) than to find someone who provides as much 2-way versatility as him. If Jalen Green makes a jump to LaVine levels in the next few years, they'd be a great fit together.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Simmons is all about fit. He should be a top 3 player in the league but he is mentally fragile and a poor worker when compared to other elite players. His overall effort is average from what I have heard when asking around, he just lacks the drive to be great.

He is a terrible shooter and a poor scorer, but does just about everything else well. He is possibly the best non post defender in the world and will give effort at it. Had he played for the Warriors or a team with scoring and spacing, he would be a contender for MVP and called a great player.... problem is that not a lot of teams have both of those.

He would be a really good get for a team with the right pieces around him. Let him run the point and defend and rebound, get steals and score in transition. Surround him with good three point shooters and a primary scorer or two and he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Out of all the thirsty fringe playoff teams right now I think Simmons would be fantastic as an Atlanta Hawk. He wouldn't have the pressure/expectation to score with Young and Collins (assuming he's not a part of any trade for Simmons) and he complements what Trae brings or doesn't bring in the backcourt. A starting lineup of Simmons/Young/Hunter/Collins/Capela would be interesting.

17. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Haven't heard anything about Tillman having some jewish slave owner mentality (yet).

Besides, if you think Green is a bust already, why have any faith that the FO can build a contender out of "veteran presence" and "winning culture"?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Simmons by himself is a culture issue.

A guy who wants to be the centerpiece of a franchise who is afraid to shoot and then gets upset when people point out his weaknesses.
    Actually surprised to see Greens splits, they are not as bad as I thought and are right inline with the other rookies.

I thought those shooting % were gonna be terrible.

Interesting.

xaos likes this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It all depends on what opportunities are afforded you at any given time...
    If you got a draft class with Bron, DWade, Bosh, etc... then it'd be spending that draft pick - just hope you dont get Darko'd...
    If you got an up n comer whose showing talent but needs a opportunity to blossom (Harden) then its in gambling on a guy with an upward trajectory...
    If you have a disgruntled star who's a good guy but maybe coming off an injury or just needs a change of scenery then maybe you go all in at that point...

Point being, there is no set in stone way to acquire a top player... that's why this whole 'trust the process' annoys me so much... you have to evaluate every situation as it presents itself - or try to create situations...

I'm not one for blindly following a path - I'm about evaluating every option as it occurs...
    IE I was against just chucking as many 3s as you can and hoping the law of averages works out for you... if the defense is laying off and you have competent shooters - great, fire away! If the defense is getting out on those shooters - then you need to adjust to work the ball inside... That's why i hated MDA and his 'we dont adjust to them - they adjust to us...' philosophy... its all about ebbs n flows based on what opportunities are afforded you at any given time... imo...

20. dmoneybangbang

I agree, which just adds to the complexity of acquiring Simmons. We will need to find someone the Sixers want, trade for them, and reroute them to the Sixers.

I think the offseason is the best time to go big game hunting because that's when the best players will be on the move.

Nook likes this.