1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Houston Rockets have been searching market for ‘franchise centerpiece-worthy player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

Are u insane?

Man, it’s a fine Thursday morning and you’re on here trolling. Why? Let me speak with your other account, that one might have more sense. No way u just said you’d trade our pick top 2 protected for Ben freaking Simmons. Ain’t no way…

luckyman76, xaos, Trackwell and 6 others like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

Simmons is like a nice car, that's already overpaid by the current owner. Now the current owner is trying to pawn it off to someone else. Is the car decent yes, but retail price alone (salary) is already an overpay.

If a new owner brings this car to the garage, it might also refuse to run.

DeBeards, aaquaa, Trackwell and 2 others like this.
  3. csc177

csc177 Member

This was Stone sir. Fertitta couldn’t name 5 players in this draft class. We gambled on the athleticism and glam of an undersized SG. Hasn’t worked out yet but it’s still early. Mobley was a safe pick and is turning out like a very great pick. You cant teach 7ft, but his athleticism and skill and early returns thus far, makes me sick we passed.

Y2JT, D-rock, BMoney and 2 others like this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Add Ben Simmons and the rockets will still be in search for that franchise player.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats not true. Cade has been playing great as of late and has overtaken Mobley in ppg and apg with a huge gap in usage %. I wouldnt be surprised one bit to hear his name called as ROY. Guys like Giddey, Wagner and Barnes have also shown that this class is not about just one player. Mobley isnt ahead of these guys by leaps and bounds he's just enjoying a unique scenario to flourish that not all of the rooks have. No excuses good for him and probably a big reason why his daddy and advice camp steered him to CLE to begin with ---- he declined to workout for Houston it was never the Rockets not showing interest in him. Jalen fits in there somewhere among that group and lucky for him careers aren't sprints, but long marathons. We'll see who's who in a few years.

Before you pull out your pitchforks -- Yes (a thousand times YES) I believe Mobley is a great player. Great glue guy for CLE as he does many things well and doesnt command the ball to be effective. Plays his role great and could evolve into a transcendent player with time. He's not there yet, but flashes some exciting things for his fans. He would not have had that peaceful environment HERE. It would have been an uphill battle and the finicky nature of fandom would be that there would be guys crying that we "made the wrong pick" if he were a Rocket and struggling. Its too surface level to say "I was right" 40 or so games into a NBA career.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Jalen Green doesn’t pan out, don’t y’all come on here and start saying it was all Tilman and let Stone continue to lurk in the shadows criticism-free

no sir

Silas was Stone…Jalen Green was Stone…Theis was Stone…this upcoming pick will be Stone

luckyman76, D-rock, DeBeards and 4 others like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Who says otherwise?

D-rock likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

@Imanimal

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just because they're looking for a "franchise centerpiece worthy player" doesn't mean they don't think Green can't eventually be one. In the LeBron era of the NBA the more "franchise centerpiece worthy players" you have on your team the higher your chance of winning the championship. If you can unload all of your picks/assets for a young player on the level of a Tatum or LaMelo you do it 10 out of 10 times.

D-rock, xaos and Nook like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

since November 30th

Giddey: 13, 8, and 7…41/30/70 shooting splits…48% TS

Cade: 17, 5, and 5…44/40/82 shooting splits…55% TS

Green: 16, 4, and 2…41/35/84 shooting splits…54% TS

Barnes: 14, 7, and 4…45/31/70 shooting splits…52% TS

Mobley: 16, 8, and 3 plus 2 blocks…53/27/67 shooting splits…56% TS

Cade has shown the most potential as an overall offensive player and his defense has looked pretty damn solid…Mobley and Barnes are already above average players and have positive impacts for their team on both ends…Giddey looks nice, but his scoring is the weakest, and Green looks like the most underdeveloped

those are my thoughts on these guys so far

D-rock, BigMaloe, red5rocket and 9 others like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I remember the era before Harden.

The Rockets clung onto every talent they could come across.

Royce White, Terrence Williams, Jeremy Lin, Ömer Asik, Marcus Morris, Terrence Jones, Jeremy Lamb..........

I mean this situation is better but I feel the Front Office is still confused AF.

D-rock, mikol13, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Rockets were hoping beyond hope that one of those prospects would turn into someone good. Fortunate for Houston/Morey OKC decided it was better to trade Harden away than to amnesty Kendrick Perkins.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Barnes has fallen off a bit compared to his first months hype with Mobley. His offense has regressed to the mean, which is still unpolished and inconsistent. His defense and hustle are still there.

I think Cade might overtake Mobley sooner or later just because of his 3 way impact scoring, playmaking and defense.

Green might be 1-2 seasons away depending on how hard he works in the off season

Reeko likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

Sheesh..how many does he have?

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That’s a good assessment. Green is making improvements, but he won’t even come close to Cade, Mobley, or Barnes this year. I do think he still has the potential to be the best offensive player in this draft, but it will take at least another year.

D-rock likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. BUT who else in the draft has the possibility of being better than Simmons outside the top 2; Banchero and Smith? **** Holgren?

Let me ask you this, if you would have wanted to trade for Simmons prior to his playoff "NO SHOT", what do you think the price would have been?

I still think Simmons is a top 20 player and I think if he can get with John Lucas, he can be much higher, which is why there are reports of the Rockets being interested.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ll tell u what it wouldn’t have been, a top 2 protected pick from 1 of the worst teams in the league. I guarantee that

also, his playoff meltdown happened, so let’s not try and prop him or his value up by acting like it didn’t…

Reports where? Provide the link or the source

luckyman76 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

We had our shot with Dwight Howard, now he plays with Russell Westbrook another shot we missed. Last time I checked E.Mobley was invited to Rockets to showcase his talent, but he didn't come. Maybe if we had Bickerstaff, another shot we missed. He could make J.Green, a true #2 pick.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Simmons is a top 20 player in a vacuum, but the reality is that he's has one of the strangest skill sets to fit in any team. In a league now where every center can pull out and shoot 3's at a high clip, everything is an awkward fit around Simmons unless you specifically build an entire line up with 3 and D players.

Simmons doesn't know how Simmons should play, he's a pg on transition, but he sits at the dunker spot on a half court set. He can defend 4 positions but can't protect the rim.

Every player you draft and trade for around Simmons have to fit him, or else he becomes awkwardly ineffective because of his glaring inability to score anywhere outside of 3 feet from the basket.

There really haven't been a formula on where Simmons can be effective and he has been in the league for how long?

xaos and jiggyfly like this.