1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report Cuttino to be traded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jw1144, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Weisass shows what an idiot he is, destroying years fo chemistry for Horseface and his wifey.

Horrible trade for the Magic.
    Excellent trade for the Kings.

Peja, Bibby, mobley, it's lights out!!!

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah, I have close friends but I don't think this is typical, that just me.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The brilliance of this move for the Kings:

Even if they don't keep Mobley, they get out of paying 8 million to Christie next year. They upgraded their talent, and at a minimum, gave themselves 8 million more in maneuvering room.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

It looks like Steve is going to have to go through Cuttino-withdrawals like Yao went through Steve-withdrawals.

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, they probably use the Cat money when they re-sign or sign-and- trade Peja. Cat gets a chance to make a case for himself. Smart.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why is it such a bad trade? Mobley and Christy are pretty much equally talented players, just different, Mobley is primarily a scorer, Christy can do more than just scoring, on defense they're both good but Christy can rebound and Mobley can't.

Salary wise? I dunno, depends on what kind of contract Cuttino gets in the offseason I guess, I don't see a reason to talk about the money too much anyway.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Christie is going downhill fast and is paid a pretty high salary. His numbers this year - 7 ppg, 4rpg, 5apg (career high), 40% fg, 25% 3fg.

8. Toast

Toast Member

Christie's having a god-awful season.

Great trade for the Kings.

Not sure the Magic are really getting anything here.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And Christie is known to shoot some bricks when the game is on the line. Christie is anything but clutch.

10. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

He almost singlehandedly cost the Kings in Game 7 vs the Lakers 3 years ago with all those bricks he was putting up.

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member

His role in the King's offense isn't to score, he creates something only Francis and Hill could do consistently on the Magic, now they have three guys. As for his shooting this season, he's not that bad so it will improve, Mobley started out hot but has been cooling down lately.

Why does salary matter? It's not our money and we aren't talking about eight figure salaries anyway.

The only real problem is Francis, but he has to get over it, I remember when McGrady was upset because the Magic traded his best friend, he took it out on their next opponent. I think he scored 45. This is the NBA not even Shaq was told about Phil Jackson's departure and he's Shaq.

Does anyone know if Mobley will be playing tonight against Denver? I wonder what number he'll wear, I think that Evans guy wears number 5, he might give it up or he might wear number 3! Cato wears 13 he ain't giving it up, so what number will Christy's wife pick for him to wear?

#111 JumpMan, Jan 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well Francis had an alright game last night, so I'm sure he'll get over it. Like I said earlier, I think this is a good trade for all parties involved, the Magic gets more of a prototype shooting guard who doesn't need to create shots. Mobley goes to a better team. Sacramento gets younger. The only thing I see that might be a problem is Sacramento adjusting to a completely different offensive player and Cuttino adjusting to their system.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Great trade for the KIngs. Could put them over the top in the playoffs.......the only other team I would've loved Cat to go to woul've been Minnesota....they could've really used him......

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His career high is 16 ppg and came in 1997-98 playing for a bad Toronto team. So, it is not as if the Kings offense hurt his. In fact, their offense has had a habit of increasing players' production.

As for salary, of course it factors into whether it is a good trade for the Magic. They will be over-paying him meaning they have less to spend on others.

He has never been as good of a distance shooter as Mobley, so even if his numbers improve, it is a loss. Also, there is nothing to imply that his shooting will improve. His legs are only getting older.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Come on Steve, I thought you learned "it's a business" a while back. :)

That being said, it's nice to see a sense of "family" from pro athletes.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN

I'd have agreed with you as recently as two years ago, but at this point Christie is washed up. His defense isn't what it used to be and I sincerely doubt he's a better defender than Cat now. He's not as quick as he used to be and he was never a great shooter so essentially he's a mediocre player who passes well on a good passing team. It'll be interesting to see if he even appears as good of a passer in a different system with different team mates. I suspect the high percentage shooters on the kings make everybody look like better passers.

This trade went down for one reason: Cat wants big bucks when he opts out of his contract in the offseason. The Magic didn't think they could re-sign him so they paniced and opted to trade him. They got robbed in this trade. A few years ago this would make sense for both teams. Today, it's highway robbery. Cuttino Mobley is a steal in this trade. I'm going to laugh if Cuttino ends up signing for a deal that averages 8 million over the course of the contract.

So the Magic traded McGrady, Howard, Lue and Gaines for Francis, Cato and a washed up Doug Christie. With the Magic cooling down and now this, this trade is starting to look better and better for Rockets fans. If the Rockets can find a solid pass first point guard I'd kill to have Cat back on the Rockets. I miss him. I always liked him despite his flaws.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Man, what a stupid trade. If they were going to trade him, they could have at least got equal value. I'll bet there were better options available. This is where you really see the lack of basketball knowledge from Weisbrod. Casual fans of the NBA know Christie is known for defense, but people who pay attention also know that he isn't as good as he used to be.

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

The magic just became very suspect from beyond the arc. Francis, Christie, and Hill are the shooters? Then they can bring in a very inconsistent gunner in Hedo. I guess Garrity will get more minutes now.

19. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

I want Cuttino back too. He is one of my favorites. But you know what? It's not going to happen. Even worse, get this: Cat goes to Lakers to reunite with Rudy (will fit because all they do is jack up threes when Kobe does not have the ball), and Yao goes to Lakers to reunite with Rudy (No more of those horrrific brow-beatings from JVG). Three of our bests assests will then be Lakers. No more Orlando Rockets. It would then be Kobe's Rockets. Kobe haters beware.

20. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

dame, it'll be Christie on T-Mac instead of the Cat.