1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report Cuttino to be traded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jw1144, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

2. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I heard his quotes after the game. It was awful. Francis needs to buck up. Saying stuff like "How's a team supposed to play when a plalyer is traded before the game?" Announcers really went after him on the radio.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

ahh, i see you know you're pro-cuttino facts well. but i expected no less. 0-8 i believe the record was.

btw, what was our record when he missed those eight straight games in yao's first year? i'll give you a clue, it wasn't 0-8.

as i'm sure you're aware, and should've gleaned from my last post anyway, i like cuttino a lot. one of my favorite players in the league, and i always root for him. i hope he does well on the kings. but trying to blame francis for cuttino not rising to superstardom is wrong.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Couldnt we have trade MO or Wesley for Christie ?

5. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

For some reason I think it is not a bad trade for Magic, Offensively Christie can handle the ball quite well and free Steve to play 2 guard position. He is also capable of passing/directing offense. Defensely, he can defend 2 guard well and take pressure off Steve.

It also break up Steve and Cat so Coach and MGMt can have more control. Right now, I think Steve together with Cat, Cato may prove too hard for Magic organization to handle.

6. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I am a Kings fan and I personally was shocked to see the headline of "Christie Traded for Mobley" deal. You guys don't understand....Christie is the heart and soul of the Kings offense AND defense. Even though he's not looking to shoot the ball..he create things for the team and makes things happen on the court like assisting, defending and stealing. I feel this is a huge blow for the Kings. Kings don't need much offense...they need defense man....

7. littlefish_220

I don't think cat will come back. King will not pay Christie for nothing after this year, and we can't afford too much.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Dear god, I hope you're joking.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who will steve hang out with now?
    Christie will spend his time polishing his wife's nails.

maybe steve and hedeo turkalu can kick it.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

good trade for sacramento. atleast i think so. cuttino is younger, he is an underrated defender. and i think he kings offens is good for him.

damn i liked the magic, and i think this is a bad trade for them.

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Why? Will we lose out in an unlikely Motay for Christie swap or are you saying that Petrie will just ignore us?

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

lol

Did he die or something?

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Didn't see this posted yet.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ET?SITE=TXHOU&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Francis speaks out against Mobley trade

By HOWARD ULMAN
    AP Sports Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- Steve Francis became close with Cuttino Mobley during their six seasons as teammates, so the Orlando star was upset when the Magic shipped his friend to Sacramento.

"They shouldn't have traded him," Francis said after a 119-101 loss to the Boston Celtics on Monday night, adding that he was emotionally drained and distracted during the game.

Mobley was dealt shortly before tipoff with forward Michael Bradley to the Kings for guard Doug Christie. Mobley can become a free agent after the season and Christie's defensive skills should help a team that has allowed the most points per game in the NBA.

The Kings gave up Christie, their best defender and a team leader, to add another scorer to their lineup. Mobley averaged 16 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 23 games with the Magic, who acquired him from Houston along with Francis last summer in the seven-player trade involving Tracy McGrady.

But Francis took the departure of his backcourt partner hard.

"I can't put it into words," he said. "Playing with a guy, living with a guy, just knowing that every day when I wake up that's something I can count on, that I'm going to be in practice or in a game with Cuttino.

"Him not being here is going to be tough for me. I don't know what I'm going to wake up for."

The Houston Rockets drafted Mobley in the second round in 1998 out of Rhode Island, then took Francis in the first round in 1999 out of Maryland. They came to Orlando with Kelvin Cato in the McGrady deal.

The trade helped the Magic, who are 18-15. Last season, they didn't earn their 18th win until their 64th game.

"They messed up something that started so good, man," said Francis, an All-Star the past three seasons. "I don't feel there was a need to break something up just because he was going to be a free agent and you don't want to pay him at the end of the season.

"You should have known that when you traded for him, so you should have made that decision then."

Coach Johnny Davis understood Francis' disappointment and played him only 27 minutes. Francis finished with 18 points but had only two assists after averaging 7.2 going into the game.

"He's been with Cuttino for six or seven years now, and so it's like losing someone close to you," Davis said. "It's a very emotional time for Steve, and I understand that."

Davis said he found out shortly before the game that the deal had been completed, but Francis was still upset.

"You don't wait 30 minutes before a game to tell a guy he's traded," Francis said. "The way you handle relationships, for me, is going to change the way that I approach the game, more businesslike than anything."

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

am i the only one who finds this quote scary? i wonder how thight they are. is anybody going to watch steve to make sure he does get up. and that he does not take to many sleeping pills;) :eek:

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I had expected Francis to realize that the NBA is a business by now.

Even though its not going to help us but I'm glad to see Mobley back in the Western Conference.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

This was a surprising trade. I guess Orlando didn't think they could afford/sign Cat next year. The Kings are the clear winner here if they can sign Cat this year otherwise they wind up with nothing if they don't. Christie is not that better a defender than Cat to make this trade for and when you add in Cat's scoring then the only reason to do this trade is to make sure you get something in value for a player you are most likely not going to sign.

SF is right about the timing of these trades, why tell the team before a game begins, why not do the trade on an off day. I knew he was going to be real upset, they were the 2 amigos.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that happens all the time, though. guys play in games and then find out right after that they were traded...or guys are stopped from playing in a game right before it starts because they've just been traded. fairly common.

once you agree to make a trade like that, you want it to go down as soon as possible.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These two should get video phones.

Imagine this: Someone complaining about the way Weisbrod handles business. Never saw that one coming!

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This short-sightedness goes right up there with Steve's "The Super Bowl is a once in a lifetime event.... " (when he missed the flight last year to entertain guests at Reliant).

If they were so inseparable, the Magic never would have had any doubt that Cuttino wouldn't re-sign with them. Of course, Weis-ass made a stupid trade in getting Doug Christie for him... but that's besides the point.

Cuttino was either going to get traded, or leave via FA, one way or another... and if he wasn't, he should have said otherwise.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I hope in all this Cuttino comes back to Houston soon.