1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: CP3 Pushing for Rox to Sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 8, 2018.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Maybe CP3 doesn't want Carmelo on the team, but he's good friends with him so he had someone leak a story about him wanting Melo on the team so to Melo it looks like CP3 did everything he could and it was just Rockets management who decided they didn't want him.

But I'm just making stuff up.

2. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Look at the angle Mitchell is at, can he reasonably make that pass to Gobert. Watch Grant, PG is already in the lane in front of Rudy, Grant should be rotating up to Favors.

And its not about individual plays, its about the fact that the Thunder were never completely in sync defensively especially after Roberson went down.

It also showed that Melo CAN and DOES play defense which it isn't always good. He has his mental lapses as well which I've called him out on but this "Melo DOESN'T play defense" stuff just bothers me as it insinuates that he stands on the other side of the court while his teammates defend.

There are just so many basic fundamentals poorly exhibited by that team, with and without Melo which was the point.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Harden and Paul can only make it work... IF Melo accepts his role and limited minutes. It's not counter-intuitive, it's just fact. Perhaps that's how CP3 makes it work, by getting Melo to accept that. Otherwise, you just look to last year with OKC as an example of what happens when it doesn't fit. Or in Houston's case, look at the Harden Dwight relationship.

Chemistry matters... last year, much more worthwhile of a gamble. For one, there was still the goal of Melo accepting much more of a role. For two, you were getting rid of Anderson's contract at the same time.

Relative to DRtg, it's not a great stat... it's still a useful stat and as I said just needs to be taken with a grain of salt and in the proper context. Like DRtg over the years for a player, relative to their teammates and team's overall DRtg, lineups, etc. But even then, always with a grain of salt.

James Harden had a better DRtg last year than Luc, Tucker and Ariza and just slightly behind CP3. That kind of tells you what you need to know about looking at DRtg for a year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Melo -Regular Season
    3P% 6ft+ away from the closest defender (WIDE OPEN) - 41.9%
    3P% 4-6ft+ away from the closest defender (OPEN) - 30.9%
    3P% 2-4ft+ away from the closest defender (OPEN) - 35.9%

Trevor Ariza - Regular Season
    3P% 6ft+ away from the closest defender (WIDE OPEN) - 41.7%
    3P% 4-6ft+ away from the closest defender (OPEN) - 35%
    3P% 2-4ft+ away from the closest defender (OPEN) - 27.6%

hakeem94, DonKnock, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

He hit 42% of wide open 3s and had a 61.3 EFG% on wide open shots. Harden for comparison shot 40% from 3 and had a 63.3 EFG%. Was Harden missing wide open 3s as well? No because it doesn't fit the narrative to say that. And this is coming from someone who knows Melo had a down year but the difference is I watched and I know why.

And of course his drives aren't explosive anymore but he's old what do you expect? The spacing the Rockets provide will allow him to have more room to finish with finesse since he won't see two or three guys at the rim consistently.

6. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I'll rephrase

Let Melo do what Melo does but within the confines of the system. He likes to score, get him easy shots and isolate when the match up calls for it. Simple enough.

But if he comes here and expectation is for him to be something he's not then of course you'll run into problems.

As for DRTG I'm just saying its always used to slight Melo but its funny hearing its not a great stat now because I've always said that mostly about all stats. Context is important, who's on the court is important, thats why I watch so much film to see what the numbers are telling me.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

H-Town Melo is making some good points in these streets. I hope he is right, because Melo will be a Rocket next year.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I couldn't tell you about using DRtg to slight him, or praise him. Defense is the hardest thing to put stats to, that's for sure... I've never really considered DRtg relative to Melo or not, so couldn't say what others have done.

Relative to role... I guess this is 1,000% on CP3. Melo had less usage last year, but otherwise wasn't exactly a hugely changed mentality or role for him, or to the extent it was, it f'd with his game.

If CP3 has had A LOT of real, honest, serious discussions with Melo and role has been described... then I guess take the risk. Otherwise, I would have preferred Trevor Ariza at $15 million for one year (it's not my money!)

9. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

The media has really warp people's minds. Relying on men and women who don't even watch the games they are paid to talk/write about. Melo won't have to adjust anything if he came here. He would be PUT in the most stable position he's been in since pairing with Chauncey Billups. Catching perfectly accurate passes from two elite point guards and taking advantage of mismatches on the block is what's in store with Houston. He wouldn't HAVE to accept a lesser role, because they WANT Melo to be who his is, NOT what the media and fans THINKS he is. The Big O said it best....when he was in Denver and got criticized for taking a bunch of shots, how was that on him when the TEAM needed him to shoot or they couldn't compete? They blew draft pick after pick and it's still Melo's fault? In NY...Phil Jackson doesn't get any of that? It's All Melo huh? Bad signing and bad picks one after another? Nawh I have my own eyes, don't need ESPN's help. Last season? With Russ playing like a Taz Devil, no real offense or system....they all struggle except "russ stats" and it's ALL Melo's fault? I bet Melo will end up having the most efficient season of his career and at the end of the season, his critics will say it was the system that made him........that's right, the same system they are now saying he doesn't fit into right now, but ironically if he went to the Lakers, it's a better fit lolol. Stop listening to talking heads on TV....they don't watch games.

#309 sjackson0, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bravo. Great post!

11. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

And saying we are dismissive doesn't make the rumors anymore real. This guy just doesn't seem legit. He might have "heard" something but he would be a very random person getting this info. At least the potato head last year was connected to Courtney Lee

justtxyank likes this.
  12. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Nope. It doesn't matter when they waive him, his salary counts against their cap the entire year. The only way it doesn't count is a trade.

13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think there's a stretch deadline.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

1 YARD LINE INTENSIFIES

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  16. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

So when are they gonna buy him out?

17. alethios

alethios Member

Look how long it's taken us to move 1 yard :eek:

18. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Cant believe we went through this last year.. Hope this time he will come to the Rockets

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And even then, it feels like it's 4th & Goal with 3 seconds left on the clock!

DonKnock likes this.
  20. alethios

alethios Member

Then we need to take an opposite approach - cease all Melo threads and pretend like we didn't see this coming.