1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: CP3 Pushing for Rox to Sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jul 8, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

According the TheScore.com:

(Disclaimer: Eh, Jordan Schultz.)

Chris Paul reportedly wants to see close friend Carmelo Anthony donning Houston Rockets red alongside him next season.

The All-Star point guard is advocating for Houston to land Anthony via a trade, or once he's bought out of his contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder, a source close to Paul told Yahoo Sports' Jordan Schultz.

Anthony picked up his $27.9-million option with the Thunder, but the organization could save approximately $100 million in luxury tax if it was to part ways with him. How that occurs remains to be seen, but management and Anthony's representation are working together to come to a solution.

Prior to being traded to Oklahoma City last summer, Anthony was reportedly willing to waive his no-trade clause with the New York Knicks as long as he was sent to either the Cleveland Cavaliers to pair with LeBron James or the Rockets.

He ultimately agreed to do so for the Thunder last September, with New York receiving Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott, and a 2018 second-round pick.

Houston has a slot open in its lineup at the three spot following the departure of wing Trevor Ariza to the Phoenix Suns. Now Anthony isn't the defender Ariza was, and his bread-and-butter offense took a massive hit as a third option behind Russell Westbrookand Paul George in 2017-18.

The now 34-year-old contributed a career-low player efficiency rating (12.7), true shooting percentage (50.3), value over replacement player (minus-1.1), and points per game (16.2) with Oklahoma City.

Tfor3, roslolian, ak99999 and 8 others like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

After a closer re-reading of this story, it could be re-written thusly:

An unreliable NBA "insider" claims a friend of Chris Paul's claims CP3 thinks the Rockets should sign Carmelo Anthony.

In retrospect, IDNDIOT.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Any trade for a salary that big would include Ryno …. but I dunno if its worth doing. That statistic of being -1.1 VoR I believe is pretty telling ….
    Yeah , Ryno's pretty poor too but he's your one bullet to fire for roster improvement , you gotta make it count.

(That's not to say OKC would absorb Ryno's salary , just that that salary would have to be involved to make the numbers work)

#4 Corrosion, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Manos likes this.
  5. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Cp3 will get on his ass to play some defense. Not saying it's going to work, but he will try to get him to play it.

JamesC, Tfor3, Mr. Dominant and 9 others like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I sleep well at night because I know my CP3 watches and takes care of my Rockets. Totally worth 44 mil per.

7. dlite316

dlite316 Member

I.D.I.O.T.

8. StevieCrossover

NAH, we dont need carmelo! But for the minimum or for scrubs, why not?

9. hakeemthagreat

Good to hear. Melo will be fantastic here. Especially at the price we'll get him for

bilaal14, Tfor3, BigShasta and 4 others like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Jordan Schultz is reliable.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's like a less dead beat Santa

hakeem94 and Game7 like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Breaking news

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

CP3 doesn’t need to push when Morey/TF are pulling for Melo.

hakeem94 and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Is he? Is CP3 worth more than... LeBron?

I think Rockets will regret the back half of that deal. Even the front half...is CP3 worth LeBron money?

But I don't have a feeling any more for what makes sense for salaries. What seems to be happening with the increased salary cap is that money is flowing even more to the top than it did before, along with the salaries going higher because of the increased revenue.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This sentence stood out because it sounds like it should have gone "Now Anthony sucks at _____ & _____, but he's good because _________" except there was no but. It just ended with the truth: that Carmelo isn't worth anything anymore.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think that's probably true, and I haven't been a big Melo fan. He may not be the player he was...but is he worth a few mil a year for a team he wants to be on, on a team that needs him to play small forward? Definitely.

18. aroundtheblock2

And this is where the article took a turn to r****ded. I dont know how these people have jobs covering the NBA.

If Melo is starting at SF then consider the Rockets ****ed and a bottom 10 defense.

YOLO likes this.
  19. htxaf

htxaf Member

he's worth that if he helps us get a ring

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Say it ain't so.