1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[REPORT CARD] Grade Tilman/Morey's Roster Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 7, 2019.

?

Tilman/Morey Report Card

1. A

22 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. B

76 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. C

75 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. D

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. E

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. F

52 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You ever heard of a coma or a period? Sheesh

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A++. Got rid of all that unnecessary trash and we got under the cap. Win win situation

Timan for GM 2020

cbs1507 and chadyang like this.
  3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It’s a B for me.

DM was tasked with the extremely complex goal of both slashing salary AND improving the roster simultaneously. Usually it’s one or the other. Shumpert is playable and ownership is happy. As far as “doing his job” goes, DM did precisely what he was asked to do.

Furthermore, the purge of useless bodies continues. Nanu, Zhou, Melo, MCW. Now you can add Chriss and Knight to the list. We’ve gotten rid of almost all of the deadweight on the roster.

PolarBear and cbs1507 like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but what do you think as a fan rather than looking at it through the perspective of Tilman's employee/accountant?

5. Fantasma Negro

This is a thread that should've been saved for April 11

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

C at best

Shump was unplayable by the Cavs against the s warriors because his shot was so bad and his defense hasn’t been anything special

harold bingo and J Sizzle like this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Like a report card, it's something that requires periodic review. We can do another one in April. I want to get a feel for how people see the moves so far.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Sound and fury signifying nothing. Nobody is beating GS in a playoff series, nobody. Last season is the closest anyone will get including the Rockets. Hopefully, Harden can still walk after Durant is gone and they will have only five all-stars and everyone in the NBA will have at least a 20% chance. This is a ridiculous situation that is making the NBA a joke. With the complicated NBA financial rules, with all the limitations, how in the world did GS do what they did? No one has ever explained it. How can they afford six max or near max contracts and no one else can?

9. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

reserving judgement until 3 years from now

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't buy this for a moment. Toronto and Milwaukee can beat the Warriors. It's not a coincidence that both those teams are spending more than us.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

As a fan that tries very hard to be objective rather than emotional and knee-jerk (good advice for many posters on here), all I can really say is: I get it. For the reasons I mentioned, and for the reasons many prominent posters here have explained. I’m not thrilled, but it’s a step forward.

Sure, there’s an element of disappointment. It was unrealistic to expect us to land AD, Beal or anyone like that. But it is frustrating seeing players like JaMychal Green and Mirotic end up elsewhere, whenever they were seemingly within our “budget” and would have been very useful.

I’m very surprised we didn’t walk away from the deadline with another PF. Tucker’s minutes and workload are insane and he looks tired. I thought for sure we would have addressed this rather than kicking the can down the road. It’s a gamble to assume there’s going to be somebody playable in the buyout market after Feb 21st.

Honestly, my biggest gripe about our trade deadline strategy is from an optics standpoint with Capela. It’s hard to wrap your head around the idea, but it seriously appears like we’re going to be rooting for him to slightly underperform just to avoid paying his incentives. From an optics standpoint, that’s bad and borderline insulting to Clint. Sadly, our stay-under-the-LT strategy appears to hinge based upon that.

Like I said, though, I get it. To me, it’s a punt at the 50 yard line. We elected to take the safe option and play the long game. We’re still moving forward and that’s the most important thing.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do not conflate Tilman with Morey. Morey did well under shitty circumstances. Tilman is the shitty circumstances.

Morey says salary cut moves will enable the team to play the buyout markets. So, let's see if they land anything decent in the buyout market, whether they actually spend the money that they saved or it's just another excuse. Faried and Rivers have been useful so far, so there is some hope.

thekad, HP3 and justtxyank like this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I had to change my choice after reading your post again carefully.

If you include Austin Rivers, Kenneth Faried, finding House in the weeds, dumping all the mistake signings, getting under the luxury tax BEFORE Harden's contract swells to the next payment level... I have to give them an "A". I could not possibly have pictured all these moves.

I mean, you get rid of Ennis who didn't fit in for Iman Shumpert (indirectly) who can run the front of the defense as well or even better than CP3? Yes thank you. "A" plus. Also, leaving room for buyouts that are only going to be willing to be here if they want to win.. that's a pretty good recipe for finding players that 1) want to be in Houston and 2) want to win. If we're not spending the MLE to get you, that means you want to be here. That's great news.

Chriss and Knight were becoming worthless. Only thing that bothers me is the picks going out, but if we're more competitive right now.. how can I question that?

Shumpert appears to be Ariza in a PG body.

14. smp

smp Member

They drafted and grew their core. Then two all stars joined them for less than market value to win rings. They are also perfectly fine paying well in to the luxury tax. The Rockets don't have any of those things going on.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

What is a grade E... Excellent?

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would say D. We are absolutely not better than were last year. But it's not an F because after a terrible offseason, we signed a couple of nice contributors on the buyout market.

17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

The results are interesting & relatively very even. Goes to show that Clutchfans is the most diverse fan site of the NBA!!!

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

But Tilman saved money, so...

A+

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gave you an A for Indy Nazi reference.

withmustard likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the sole consideration, shedding salary, has been masterfully executed by morey. tilman feelin marvelous