1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Assistant coach John Lucas also on Rockets' interview list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Oct 3, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lucas, Atkinson, Silas, Vanterpool, Unseld. All have one thing in common, they can be had for CHEAP.

Exactly the type of head coach options that Tilly is looking for.

Atkinson was widely known to have the lowest HC salary in NBA with Nets. And it was lowest by wide margin.

The Fertita's are ecstatic thinking they can pay one of these guys with Landry's gift certificates.

bmelo, fattz and sirjesse like this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

66 is pretty old... do we want someone about to retire?

3. JW86

JW86 Member

If that report is true then say goodbye to championship aspirations for Harden. He just wants to be comfortable.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is why I'm sort of insulted by the cassell talk. like tilman thinks fans will get excited and buy season tickets because of nostalgia. I don't care if the next HC has any previous ties to the rockets, let alone if he was on the championship teams, all I care about is that he is the best coach available.

Lue and Atkinson are the best available (even considering doc and thibs were available). I understand they have to want to come here too and we may not be their top choices. but I'd bet we're the second most desirable job after the clippers. so we should hypothetically get one of them if tilman is willing to pay equal or more than OKC, NOP, or LAC.

Silas (although my 3rd choice), cassell, Lucas, Vanterpool, Unseld, would signal putting dollars ahead of wins.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Fertitta is cheap but Atkinson was asking for a lot of money from the Bulls and a 4-5 year deal... I guess he could settle for less with fewer jobs but I would be a little surprised.

treyk3, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Atkinson is running out of leverage as more HC positions get filled.

And every NBA owner/FO knows his record as well as his previous salary.

KA may be able to play hardball with teams like Bulls, but he may need to reevaluate his strategy if he wants another NBA HC position.

Nook likes this.