1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Replica watches

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gwatson86, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

How does one spot one? My dad recently bought a Tag Heuer that's almost completely identical to the one in this picture:

[​IMG]

Except that where it says "Automatic," the one he bought says "Quartz." Also, I can't find a match for the part number on the back, which is CV2014 LY3487, except for on a Japanese Yahoo auction page, some Eastern European site, and a brief, unlinked mention on another site.

Anyone that's into watches able to shed any light?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. gwatson86

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey wait. Just because that serial number appeared on the back may not mean it's fake. I don't know how serial numbers work to be honest. For example, could I just find a real serial number and engrave it onto the back of a fake watch?

My suggestion is to take it to a reputable place and ask them (where, I don't know - maybe a Tag dealer?).

Good luck - that'd suck if he paid full price for a fake. Hopefully he can afford the blunder if it is indeed fake. :(

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It doesn't appear that Tag makes a quartz version of the Carrera watch so I think its fake.

6. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Don't be fake. Be real.

7. gwatson86

That coupled with the serial number is certainly leaving me doubtful. I planned on having it appraised anyway, but this just reinforces what I already thought.

8. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Post the pics on the Tag forum on Watchuseek.com

Here is the link.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If your Dad paid around 100 bucks for the watch, he probably bought a fake Tag Heuer.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I bought a "Tag Heuer" for $15 from Chinatown once. I never wear it, but it works pretty good for a fake. ;)

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

pretty much.

12. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You're going to have a fake watch appraised?? If you go somewhere like I.W. Marks or Torneau they're going to look at you like you're crazy.

13. gwatson86

Perhaps "authenticate" is the word I was looking for.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I wouldn't even take it to those expensive jewelry shops to get it appraised. I would be afraid of being laughed out the door. Instead go to a pawn shop or watch repair shop and ask them how much it is worth. Usually they can tell an expensive watch just by the weight of it.

15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Well, you know it's fake. I don't know what you want them to tell you. It's worth what you paid for it.

16. droxford

droxford Member

It's worth LESS than what he paid for it. The people selling it aren't trying to break even or lose money. They sell it for more than it's worth in order to profit.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The watch is probably worth 10 bucks, but look at the bright side -- it will run better than a Tag automatic.

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

True that. It's like me going to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buying a reprint "Starry Night" by Van Gogh and then going to get it appraised or "authenticated" at an art store even though I know it's not the real deal.