1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rental Property

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paulnhbtx, Jun 17, 2010.

1. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

2. macalu

macalu Member

i don't know much about buying a house, but isn't "handyman special" a euphemism for "This place is a dump and you'll spend twice as much on renovations."?

3. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Well I saw it in person and yes it need paint but that's about it....

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

You're not going to get 800/month for that pile of ****, especially if the only repair you're willing to do is painting.

Crappy house + crappy neighborhood + inexperienced first-time slumlord = recipe for disaster.

I own rental property and, believe me, it's NEVER as simple as just cashing the rent check every month. If you really want to do this, I suggest hiring a property management company to do all the dirty work for you. And be prepared to spend a LOT of money up front getting that house ready for move-in.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Have it inspected by an HVAC technician, electrician, plumber, and general inspector for starters.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

800 bucks a month?? Good lord man, stay away from this business decision if that's how much you think you can get a month for that house.

7. juicystream

juicystream Member

I'm sure it needs a lot more than that to be rented for what you are thinking. Expect to find there is a lot more wrong with that house that you can't visually see. And only do it if you can afford to keep the house unrented, and can afford to put in the time and money involved with repairs. Its much easier to rent a previous residence than it is to rent an "investment" property such as this.

8. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

$800/mo??? Not a chance....

9. Rookie

Rookie Member

The happiest day of my life was the day I sold my last piece of rental property.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I would not do it. Where did you come up with that rent amount? No way.

11. juicystream

juicystream Member

What HVAC? It has nothing but window units and space heaters.

This place is looking worse and worse.

12. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

LMAO pile of ****....

I know this is not the Heights, River Oaks, Memorial or anywhere nice but while visiting the area I called some people that were renting homes and they were going for that rate...

Since you have experience do you think I should jump on this??

I think the price is great..

I checked the place out myself and all it really needs is some paint on the inside...

No Central AC/ Heat... So I figure if they ask for AC I will give them a box fan from Walmart with a ribbon on it..

Thank you

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

I really hope you are kidding.

14. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Really???

Please elaborate...

Did you lose money on the deal?

How were your tenants?

15. Buck Turgidson

Do you have any experience at all in real estate? I know you looked at the house, but do you really know what you were looking at/for?

Do you have any of the skills needed to own & maintain a lower quality property? Any experience w/ carpentry, plumbing, electric, etc...? This is absolutely vital or else you will be watching whatever income you do generate evaporate.

When the seller/agent comes right out and says in the 2nd sentence of the posting "needs a lot of TLC", you should immediately realize that it's going to take much more than a coat of paint to make the house ready. "Handyman special" is not just some throwaway phrase.

Another issue you'll have to deal with is the quality of tenant that type of property attracts, especially if you're not willing to put in the work to fix up the place prior to renting. From experience, a sizable percentage of your potential renters will absolutely tear the living **** out of that house and are not the most reliable in terms of actually, you know, paying rent.

Good luck. I would be very, very wary if I were you, speaking from experience.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

LMAO...I didn't even look long enough to realize that.

17. bnb

bnb Member

$28K :eek:
    What's lot value?
    First three sentences of the listing pretty much tell you the house is crap.

Heed Buck's words about tenants. Are you willing to be a landlord to someone who wants to live in that house? Low income housing can be a challenge to manage.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you'll be lucky to fetch $650 a month for this place.

IT'S IN Denver Harbor for chissakes!!

give it a new paint job outside or get rid of the pic of mold on siding.

I am renting 2 houses right now at $850 a month and that's after complete renovations and new tile and Granite counter tops.

You will have to spend at least $5,000 to make this place reasonably attractive.

#18 REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this is hilarious.. coming in and asking for advice, and then not taking it at all when it's totally against his thoughts.

please stay away if you really think some pain will net you more than your mortgage payment

i'd say the biggest concern is what Buck mentioned about the type of tenants you'll attract and the likelihood that you won't get paid all the time (and will have to deal with kicking people out or pestering for your $$$)

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

No.

I'm starting to think this whole thread is a joke. At least I hope it is.