1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remembering 9/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It would be nice to have a non-political remembrance of 9/11, if that's possible. I started watching the coverage right after the first plane hit. I'll never forget the day, and we should never rest until we kill Osama bin Laden and his people. My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones five years ago, and for what we have lost as a nation.

2. Fatty FatBastard

Did anyone else but myself and T Rex actually work there?

If you ever walked into those buildings, it was similar to fort knox. You had swipe cards, picture ID cards and all other identification typical people have,

I'll be honest, I love Houston, and every skyscraper we have here, and yet, the WTC had a solidness and a structure that you simply felt safe in.

I became a huge New York fan when I got there. Mostly because I went there with a chip on my shoulder the size of Texas, and, Ironically, NY'ers respected that.

Brethren will always be missed, and I personally have no problem how many lives are lost to avenge this.

II

Here's to you.

3. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i posted this in another thread, but here is the thread from that day 5 years ago: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=21805 note posts 1, 2, 52

i was sitting in class at 730 or so when the professor told us what had happened... we got out, and i got back to my room in time to turn on the tv and see tower 2 come down. i was in a complete daze and numbness. i got that feeling again tonight watching the documentary on cbs.

cnn pipeline is going to air its coverage from 5 years ago starting at 8 (eastern time i guess) until midnight.

4. Fatty FatBastard

Deckard: We disagree on numourous things. BUT the 5 freaking year anniversary shouldn't be up for debate or argument.

I'll place detriment on the moderator who thought this didn't belong in the hangout.

Today should be a day of remembrance, and honor. I loved those two dumb buildings. And I have teared up today like nobody who knows Fatty will ever see.

God Save New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1rBb1Jnjs

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I was a junior in high school. I skipped school that day and woke up around 9:30. When I first turned on the tv, I thought we had been bombed. It's hard to believe it's already been five years.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Live - Overcome (WTC Tribute)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YRUeiHKesqs"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YRUeiHKesqs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

God bless those directly affected by this tragedy.

And may we never forget the lessons learned from it.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I was working in the Med Center.

I had Yahoo news crawler on my computer.

I remember the sequence....first it was "small plane hits WTC", then "Jetliner hits WTC", then "Second Jetliner hits WTC".

By 10:30 AM, every television in my office had been wheeled out and tuned into the news.

I split work at 3, came home, poured a stiff bourbon, and watched CNN all night while calling friends in NYC.

God bless the victims and their memories.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Politics aside for a moment, GOD bless our nation and everyone who were affected directly or not...

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was a terrible tragedy, and one which has shaped our nation, and shown us how seriously the terrorist threat is, a day which shall live in infamy.

DD

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

About 9:10 or so I unwittingly called a friend of mine in Boston. She answered the phone and was a bit frantic. She told me what was known to have happened at that early point in time. She was a bit frantic because one of her sons flies a lot in his job and was due to be on a plane out of Logan that morning.

A few minutes later my mother-in-law calls. She can't reach her son. He was due to fly to NY that morning. She couldn't reach him nor could she reach his wife. I also called his wife several times at work and she never answered her phone. As it turned out she was in a conference room watching events unfurl on television.

As it turned out both parties were safe, but it took several hours to verify that.

I sat glued all day to the tube. I do remember watching live the second plane crash into the tower....

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

They're showing real time coverage on MSNBC from the Today show five years ago.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i remember going to class that day when we had no clue how many were dead. it was surreal thinking that 20,000+ could be dead.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We are not a perfect people, but we are a decent people. Yes, we bicker and we brawl with each other, and yet we are free because, at the end of the day, we can all shake hands. Today we can all remember how much we love one another and why...we Americans, we band of brothers.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will never forget it. I was just across the river. I had stayed home from my day job to wait for the cable man, and didn't have the TV on. My brother called me from Houston to ask what was going on after the first plane hit. He told me. I turned on the radio. I talked for a minute then walked outside right after the second plane hit.

I stood there with an increasing amount of neighbors, and we just watched the whole thing unfold. We stood there for hours watching the collapse, and the fire and smoke. I would run in my house to make calls, and arrangements for my fiance(at the time now wife) to get from Manhattan to my apt.

Then the people who could make it out started to make it to where we were. I will never forget the sight of a man who was in business suit with a briefcase just covered in ash, walking down the street, with his face slack, and unmoving. His eyes were just full of disbelief, shock and horror. People went up to help him, but he didn't say a word and just kept walking staring off into the distance.

That area burned and smoked for days after that.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Just keep praying for our nation, the families affected and for the spirit of unity we all felt.

A tragedy we will remember.

17. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I was working at an American Express travel location that booked flights for buisness travelers. The call center had acess to all the flights and knew more planes were hijacked. I had just got to work when the first plane hit. It was crazy, for hours the rumors of even more planes had the place on edge.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I had an afternoon job interview that day, so I slept in. I woke up about 10am and turned on the radio. All I heard was some reporter in tears saying "the towers are both gone...they're just gone." I thought maybe there was a terrorist attack in some far off country or something.

As soon as I turned on the TV, I learned what had happened. Horrible, horrible day.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Osama, where are you? Freaking butthole.

20. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

It saddens me this is in the Debate/Discussion, words cant describe how every american should feel today.....god bless america