1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering 1986 after last night's great game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoarhay2, Apr 30, 2008.

1. hoarhay2

hoarhay2 Contributing Member

Finally got to absorb all those 1986 Rocket-Laker Playoff Videos my brother put up for you all to view. We watched those recordings so many times that I nearly have them memorized. And seeing them again brought back some funny memories. Great that mom kept them and hopefully more surface later on. Here are some things from those videos that crack me up …
    • Chip Moody … “then suddenly by golly it went right through the net”
    • Giff Nielsel’s homo-erotic feeling up of Ralph Sampson’s arm
    • Mitchell Wiggins saying he is “hoping we can go on and take care of game 7” ???? Looks like he was on some stuff already. So sad he was out of the league the following year.
    • Hakeem sounds more Hispanic than African when he says “I am so ess-sited … so ess-sited”
    • I have no idea what Jim Petersen is doing these days but he should be an announcer. Very eloquent and seems pretty quick-thinking. But it is funny that he says “gave me the confidence to be one of the three towers”. So I guess he did make himself a tower.
    • Petersen mentions the double-overtime game against Denver. That was the game my brother and I had positions in the house we believed we could not move from because if we did, the Rockets would lose. It was nuts. We were complete emotional wrecks during those playoff games. And we damn near set the neighborhood on fire when Sampson hit that shot.
    • Chip wants to have Giff shake the coaches hand and he totally gets ignored. Classic!
    • Del Harris is a vampire. He looks exactly the same in this video as he does now as he does when he coached the Rockets in ‘81
    • How many times in the year 1986 did you hear the word sesquicentennial??? A lot … I mean everything in the entire state was "sesquicentennial" (150 year anniversary) and Giff says it at the beginning of the interview. Hadn't thought of that in years.
    • Robert Reid should have gone into acting or preaching … “you’re trying to find words … you’re trying to find a feeling”. And the way that right before Giff gets Robert Reid after Lewis Lloyd, Giff gets all serious like he is talking to Jesus and says “Robert Reid”. It is classic. Griffs and Fridays must be whooping it up! Great. Robert Reid and Billy Dee Williams separated at birth.
    • Gotta give my props again to Rodney McCray. Love having guy like that on your team (like Battier). It was a complete joke that no one from the Rocket’s front office showed up at the funeral for his daughter. Rockets are much better off with Les Alexander than they were with Charlie Thomas

2. Casper

Casper Member

So funny that you mention this. Peterson actually is a broadcaster with the Twolves. During one of our games against them this season, he swapped spots with Drexler for a quarter (maybe Bullard...can't remember) and called the game with Worrell. It was awesome listening to them reminisce about Peterson's era with the team.

3. hoarhay2

hoarhay2 Contributing Member

That is great. Thanks for sharing that. It makes complete sense after seeing him in these interviews. He seems comfortable in front of the mic.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member