1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when Houston was considered a classy organization?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SpaceCity, May 22, 2007.

1. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, but I don't have time to trudge through all the posts to find the right place to express my disappointment in how this organization handles things.

Les Alexander is an *******. There, I said it.

First he sweeps Rudy under the rug and Rudy, being the faithful Rocket that he is, participated in all of the lies about his departure. Just to help Les save face. At the time I couldn't believe how it was all handled. Sure, it was probably best that Rudy stop coaching. After all, it was killing him. But the fact that he went to L.A. to coach tells us that he was not ready to admit that, so therefore I am sure he had no desire to leave his coaching position with the Rockets.

That whole mess was made a little easier to swallow knowing that JVG was coming in. I'll never forget that epic post of excitement from Almu (I can't find it) saying that you all may think you hate JVG but you will grow to love and respect him. I hated losing Rudy, but Almu ended being right. As far as I am concerned, Almu was dead on. JVG is a fantastic coach who can actually get through to players and get them to perform beyond their individual talents and perform well as a unit. In my eyes, he did just that. It's not his fault Yao and Tmac can't stay healthy. It's not his fault that out bench completely disappeared for the playoffs after being somewhat complimentary to our starters during the regular season. b**** all you want about V-Span and Novak not getting playing time or being developed. If they were able to take care of their opportunities when they had them, then maybe they would have had more playing time. They didn't play because they sucked at the time. If we had wasted games trying to develop them then there is a good chance we may not have even made the playoffs.

So now Les goes and does it again. He fires a coach that has just delivered the best record in a decade from a team that probably had no business doing that well considering all of the circumstances. He fired a coach that brought the kind of defensive mentality that wins championships. Where's Dallas? Where's Phoenix? Where's Golden State? What we have left are 3 of the best defensive teams in the league; SanAn, Detroit, and Utah. What do those teams have that we lack? A bench. Sorry, Novak and V-Span were not the answers, yet.

Adelman may take us further, but I won't be convinced that it was him. JVG would have taken us further too. All he needed was a PG who can make plays ,a PF who can help Yao down low, and some minor tweaking of the bench. If Adelman has success next year, it will be because JVG instilled an ethic and mentality on how to be a championship-caliber team.

Good to you, Rick. I wish you the best, because I want my team to win. Hopefully management won't screw you like they did the last 2 coaches.

Les and his pet, Daryl, need to get their **** together before they destroy any more of the good credibility that organization used to have.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice post.

i like to think les was a 'different' owner, but he's not and he may even be more of a snake.

he is one evil leprechaun

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

:rolleyes: Riiight, all because he fired your guy. If it had been someone you didnt like you wouldnt have said a word.

I have been around opinioned people like you my whole life. You never say a word till some one crosses you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Remember when this forum wasn't filled with JVG thread after JVG thread?

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

How does Les letting JVG go make him classless and an *******? JVG's contract was non-guaranteed for next year. Nobody made him sign that contract. Meanwhile JVG quit the Knicks midseason, doesn't that make him an ******* and classless? And you're upset because someone didn't pick up his contract? Calling him an ******* because he didn't pick up a non-guaranteed contract is what's classic.

6. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Not really. It seems like it has been this way all year long. If we won he was a genius. If we lost he was a terrible coach.

Personally, I wanted him gone as soon as the buzzer sounded in game 7. But then I repented and was willing to give him another chance.

I think really I am just a Rocket's fan, and will be win or lose, JVG or Rudy, or Rick A. Period!

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's not kosher to offer a job to another coach while the coach you have still has that job. To Adelman's credit, he refused to discuss the position until he'd talked to Van Gundy and obtained his permission. That is class. What Les did wasn't.

Having said that, if Les goes over the cap to get us a good starting point and/or a good starting 4, I'll forgive him. Just this once.

8. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

The fact is JVG didn't get us over the hump. He had four yrs and some pretty good rosters and he played hard to get and the Rockets decided to look elsewhere. It's a business about winning and if you don't win you don't keep your job. Period.

I hated to see Rudy go but it happens. JVG understands that aspect of the game too. JVG's biggest mistake was not developing the younger players. We could have used Snyder a little more during the year instead of making him a bench fixture. Same goes of Novak and VSpan. JVG never got them comfortable in the rotation and you can't win on a rotation of 7 to 8 players these days.

Most of you called it ugly ball for a reason. It wasn't much fun watching these Rockets play. The last time I enjoyed watching them was when Steve and Cuttino hogged the ball but they at least could score in bunches.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

as with many things...it's not what you do but how you do it that defines you in the eyes of others.

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Sig says it all. :p

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I'll say this about Les - he's willing to make the big trade to win. You could have worse owners.

12. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Yes - much worse like Charlie Thomas-wasted some of Olajuwon's best years by not putting talent around him

13. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

Over the years I have been one of the most outspoken critics of Les, however in this particular situation he gets more flak that he deserves.

JVG is a fine coach but he is a bit of a princess. He overplayed the entire "poor me, I so wanted to coach, they canned me" angle to pander for sympathy and he got it. At the end of the day, this is a business, and he didn't deliver. As far as firings go we have an example currently in the news - with the fired federal prosecutors - that is so much more classless, sleazy and indefensible that whatever little drama we have with our millionaire coach whose contract was to expire anyway pales in comparison.

Other much more classless acts: Mark Cuban firing Nellie and James Dolan/Isiah firing Larry Brown. In those cases the owners did not even own up to their contractual obligations and fleeced money from the coaches. Those are the types of sleazy deals that should deserve criticism.

I don't know if Adelman is the answer, but the fact is that as hard-working and knowleadgeable JVG is, his personality completely failed to inspire that second gear push that you need to excell in the playoffs. You do need some fire, some spark and he would not give you anything besides the X and Os.

Adelman may not be different, but boy, if we get Mr. Mario "kiss of death, three rings" Ellie as an assistant we wont be lacking anything in the fire department.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

yes please

give JVG another extension, say 4 years?

:rolleyes:

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Uhh... he offered one to him... twice... when everything was hunky-dory, and JVG was getting a band of untalented players (with one injured star) to play out of their minds.

That right there should tell you how Les manages... a lot like people here post after wins and losses.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

like we had a chance of getting better players....

right...

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Dude, if you really think JVG was a "princess" just wait until you a load of "whiny" Adelman's act.

18. Panda

Panda Member

To the contrary, Les is one of the classest owner in the NBA. Despite JVG damaging Houston's reputation with future FAs, Les gave JVG time to resign and save some face. Despite another four years of playoffs early exits, Les gave JVG a chance on the condition of the Rockets playing faster offense. If it were other mean owners, they would've canned JVG outright. Despite JVG playing the "I'm not gonna make a decision if you don't praise me and hug me" angle, he politely offers JVG a position within the organization so again JVG can have an easy exit. One last thing, Les interviewed other coaches after JVG agreed with it. It was not a surprise when Adleman called JVG.

JVG turned down the Rockets offers of extension twice in the season, and now he acts like the Rockets terminating his contract hurt him like an injured baby. When Les made request of Houston playing a faster game next year, JVG avoided his request by playing the whole "if Les doesn't totally support me, then I'll take my sweet time without giving you guys a clear answer" game. That's what happening folks, JVG stalled the Rockets with this "love me and kiss me and I'm all yours" crap so that he can avoid Les' demand and have his way with Les. In the end he got what deserves, a swift kick in the rear which brought an ending to this whole drama. JVG is a drama queen and sadly his drama sells some tickets.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets had talent around Dream. One had a bad knee, the others did cocaine.

20. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Um, not to burst your bubble, but that's what most people do.