1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember: Van Gundy was and is the booby prize...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Dec 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

We got him when CD committed another in a series of boners by not landing Larry Brown or Paul Silas. I mean Fratello out of the booth would have been a better choice. But he had to have a name to salvage the situation.
    And now the genius is stuck with JVG and an underachieving team that would like to see him fired. And still nobody in the league takes him seriously as a GM.
    Nowhere but up from here...
    Once an assistant coach, always an assistant coach...

2. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

if you go by the theory of once an assistant always an assistant, half the guys in the league would never have coached in the league...but i still dislike vangundy as well.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

So CD committed a boner with the booby prize?

Sounds perfectly understandable to me.

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

JVG was Les Alexander's choice, and was (at the very lowest) in position 1a.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seriously, as much as JVG has upset me this year, I still think he was the right hire at the time.

Assuming 2 things: (1) Larry Brown was never an option and (2) Rick Carlile was never an option...

JVG made sense. And he actually did what he was hired for last year, though there was some frustration with that season as well.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

you are correct. THAT team needed a stren coach - someone to get the players focused

unfortunately with the trades that took place over the summer (adding the vets like Howard, Sura, Deke) this is now a perfect Rudy-ball team !

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Exactly, we needed some discipline with last years team, but this isn't the case for this team.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seems like you guys are right. What's interesting is that the implicit conclusion is that JVG should actually be looking for undisciplined, offensively inclined players who he can mold on the defensive end. Maybe a Stephon Marbury, Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker, Carmelo, etc.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Interesting observation. But the fact that I don't think he could mold a Walker or a Carmelo because they're too far gone makes me wonder what JVG *is* best-suited for.

(all purely based on that implicit conclusion. I still believe JVG is a good coach and that he can turn this thing around. though it's a valid point that he was better suited for last year's team than this year's)

10. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

What's also interesting is how dogmatic JVG is. The guy preaches one thing and one thing only--tough man defense and dump it to your best player in the post. His failure to improvise or adjust is incredible.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The next guy that JVG molds into a tough defender will be his first. Those Knick guys were tough defenders when he got there.

12. gucci888

Bingo. This league isn't filled with Oakleys/Ewings/Larry Johnsons anymore. The closest players to them are Ben Wallace and Ron Artest.

Get a coach that fits a system to his players, not a coach who makes his players fit his system.

13. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

You guys are kidding right? JVG is a great coach and I like him. This team's main problem last year was point guard and it still is. JVG put us in the playoffs last year for first time in 5 years. The season is young and this team will be alright.

14. gucci888

Also, JVG just rode what Riley established until it was depleted (Ewing/Oakley/Johnson), then JVG quit.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'll agree, but please don't include LJ in that line. He was an incredible offensive player in his early days pre-back-death. But he isn't a tough guy, and isn't an Oaktree/Ewing/Mason

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

hehe...hehe

he said "booby"

[​IMG]

17. Toast

Toast Member

I think both Houston & Detroit could benefit from a Larry Brown for JVG trade.

Hell, we'll even throw in Patrick Ewing, Clarence Weatherspoon and all the other former Knicks for good measure.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fratello is a less sexy version of JVG; another slow-it-down uglyballer.

JVG was a much hotter commodity back then than either him or Silas, though.

19. gucci888

Ya, I think people were interested in JVG coming back to the game, I just it wasn't with us.

Silas would have an interesting coach for us.

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, the story is, we could have had LB, but CD sat on his hands, and said, we still have to interview the other candidates . LB said, well, crap. Then Detroit called.

Great bargaining, CD (or,rather, Le$). Really good job passing on the best candidate. Shove that trophy LB got up Gundy's a$x.