1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember rock concerts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheFreak, Feb 15, 2020.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I wanted to go see Hot Rats the other night. Bet it was great. I've loved the last few Dweezil shows.

Deckard and the shark like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've seen him every tour through Austin and a couple times in Houston and he does his dad proud with a crack rocking teenage combo. But sadly, he is not Frank.

The FZ show I saw in '76 was basically the "Zappa in New York" setlist that was just sublime. Unfortunately, this was the only time I saw FZ live.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my first concert was richard marx and wilson phillips at southern star. our church youth group went to astroworld that day and someone at the park gave me and a friend two tickets.

i also saw morrissey and dee-lite with the happy mondays. i think those were both in 1991.

i didnt go, but i remember that depeche mode played there on the violator tour. REM on the green tour. new order on the technique tour.

EDIT: those who saw night ranger and ac/dc at astroworld will (rightly) mock me for this, but i forgot that i also saw erasure at southern star.

EDIT EDIT: just found this link with a bunch of photos from shows at southern star.

http://rockinhouston.com/venues/astroworld-southern-star/604?groupBy=Performers&page=1

#123 jo mama, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    VooDooPope and the shark like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

REM would have been a good concert!

the shark likes this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

After the 1st Texxas Jam on July 1st, 1978 at the Cotton Bowl we headed back home to Houston.

The following night (July 2nd, 1978) went to see Aerosmith at the Summit backed up by AC/DC.

One UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE night!!

Cost of the ticket.....$8.85. CRAZY!!!

mick fry, Deckard and deb4rockets like this.
  6. the shark

the shark Member

Stevie Ray in Nac....yep!!

The first time he played there was at a place called Crossroads. We were hanging out drinking one night and this guy comes walking by us with his guitar.

A few minutes later this guy is whaling on the guitar on this tiny little stage (something NONE of us had ever heard before). We yank our heads around like "DAMN"!!!

We're all asking "who the hell is this cat"?

Come to find out it's the one and only SRV!!

This was around the fall of 1979 or 1980??

Than we started going to see him in Austin.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We saw Dylan in Austin with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers opening, and as his band. Is that the one you saw? It was fantastic!

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Saw a couple of these along with New Order/Sugarcubes, Morrissey and a ton of old school rap acts when they had to travel with about 6-8 acts at a time before rap really exploded onto the scene.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No mocking!! That’s the beauty of music...Different kinds of music make you feel different things, touches different emotions. I’m all about variety.

jo mama and Deckard like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes!

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yep. I was there at the Houston concert.

Deckard likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

IMG_20200304_185816.jpg

Fun times.

mick fry likes this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

Deb, this ticket stub is from the Aerosmith and Nazareth show in '77 at the Summit. I was at that show. The Aerosmith and AC/DC show was on a Sunday.

14. Rashmon

It wasn't with Tom. It was at the Erwin Center but I forget when, either early 00's or late 90's. Tried to google but came up empty.

Edit: found it on setlist.fm and it was Sep 1999 at Erwin Center

#134 Rashmon, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. Rashmon

We were in Nac in the same era. I saw many great bands at the Crossroads (previously the Hole in the Wall). Stevie was still playing the club circuits back then but was amazing. Saw Gatemouth Brown and Jimmy Vaughn several times. I lived there from '77-'93.

the shark likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I didn't see a year on it, so I wasn't sure. Here's a Nazareth on a Sunday in 78.
    IMG_20200304_210327.jpg

Then they changed to Ticketmaster, and the uniqueness, colors, and print quality went to boring. Some of my computer printed ones from Ticketmaster faded so bad you can barely read them.

IMG_20200304_211713.jpg

#136 deb4rockets, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    the shark likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, you didn't have people online buying up all the tickets, so it was easy to get good seats at the record store or Foley's, as you said. We'd hang outside Foley's at Almeda Mall early in the morning playing frisbee until they started selling the tickets. All tickets were the same price, regardless of where you sat... cheap.

It was so easy to get great seats the day they went on sale for the locals. You didn't have people buying up all the tickets from across the world on the internet to scalp for 3 times the amount. It was just simple, and we were lucky. I was able to see so many great bands all the time as a teenager working for minimum wage at the movie theater. I won't pay the ridiculous amounts now. I just cherish the good memories.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I feel for folks today trying to go to concerts. Heck, the service charges are several times more than the tickets were back then in the late ‘60’s into the ‘70’s. My garage apartment in Houston that I lived in for about 3 years, a couple of blocks from Herman Park, was $65 a month, bills paid. Built back in the ’40’s behind a big 2 story duplex, it had large windows up in the trees and an attic fan. I had a window ac, but often didn’t use it. Could play my music as loud as I wanted. Never had to live in an apartment complex and also rented a couple of houses in the Montrose area. One was two stories that I shared with a friend for $135, which we split. I often had a girl living with me.

The cost of living was so low. Gas under 30 cents a gallon, often much lower because of the “gas wars.” Food was cheap. Going to the movies was cheap. Taking a chick out for dinner, a concert or a club? Easy peasy. I wasn’t a teenager. I was a hippie who took full advantage of the lifestyle. The Pill was easily available and “free love” isn’t a myth. It was a perfect era, at least for my friends and I.

Austin was a totally cool and wonderful place then, and we’d drive there to go to the lake, go to clubs and concerts, visit friends. There was a constant flow of people back and forth between the two cities, and both had an outstanding music scene, clubs and concerts, super cheap and incredible creative talent. The recorded music from back then doesn’t do justice to how good it sounded live, with a few exceptions here and there. It just doesn’t, which is a real shame. I’ve always said I was lucky to have experienced it. I really was. I’d like to be younger than I am now, of course, but that’s life. I wouldn’t trade any of it.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That's ****ing solid.

Only got to see him twice, and I feel blessed.

the shark likes this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ha! I had a similar experience. Hanging out in Austin with some friends who were itching to go to 6th Street. I didn't want to go to some smoky club and was in an anti-social mood. One buddy was reading the paper and said, "Hey, we should go see this guy." He then described SRV, but not very well.

At this point I'm really against going out because it would be some smoky club and a really loud and obnoxious guitar guy who probably thought he was better than everyone else. A poor man's Sammy Hagar kept going through my mind.

I finally gave in to peer pressure and we went to Steamboat on 6th. In deference to me, we sat in the balcony so as to have a mite fewer decibels. It was center stage though. Got some drinks and started BS-ing. Then, this scruffy guy comes out and plugs in a guitar. I'm thinking this is going to be the worst 2 hours of my life.

He starts to play.

My jaw hit the floor. We all looked at each other. None of us were expecting it. We had just read some local reviews but really knew nothing. Unbelievable. SRV was going right and left handed, with teeth, behind his back, over his head, on the floor... and every note was perfect. Just incredible. And of course, afterwards, my buddies were relentless about me wanting to stay at the apartment.

I had this poster for the longest time, but ended up losing it sometime around the mid-90's. Maybe it will show up the next time we move.

[​IMG]

Surfguy and the shark like this.