1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember me?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mattj, Jul 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. giggity12345

giggity12345 Member

Probably because everyone wants to hear about Amare coming here and no one cares to hear about Jake coming here.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he suspected. he divulged that he wasn't sure, but he thought it would be a good move.

Matt's post was purposely vague. Vagueness--whether intended or not--by a poster whom we know has sources, indicates mystery due to an inability to discuss something that is imminent.

Add to that, Matt's post is coming a day after FA signings have opened up, allowing all kinds of transactions to take place. Clutch's article came pre-draft even, before most things were possible.

3. dexkk

dexkk Member

The Blazers are preparing an offer sheet for Paul Millsap, one that they hope the Utah Jazz will be unable to match.

They are $7.7 million under the cap, but can gain an additional $1.65 million by renouncing the rights to Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland. However, in the process, the Blazers would be assessed with a roughly $450,000 cap hold for having less than 11 players, thus giving them $8.9 million in cap space.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/blazers_preparing_offer_for_ut.html

4. kaleidosky

Yeah, he did say to wait and see what Millsap did. So maybe we should do that.

But at the same time, from what you guys are saying, he basically said on the radio it was just something he dreamt up. So either he's willing to release info on here to our (now extremely large) community--which also fully knows his identity--and not on the radio...or, more likely, he was telling the truth on the radio.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It was a ratings grab. It worked. Get over it. I'm over it.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

wait a minute. i'm not exactly starting a petition to have mattj banned lol - i don't care about this that much and i think he's a great guy. but i don't see how you could somehow draw a comparison between the two situations.

clutch came out and stated that that was what he was hearing. it happened to not go down. big deal - 99% of rumors never materialize.

mattj took advantage of his prestige on this board by posting a willfully vague and provocative thread knowing full well that our acknowledgment of his status would lead us to draw unwarranted conclusions. he then proceeded to go on air and continue the speculation.

again, i'm not exactly losing sleep over this ordeal lol, and i say this as someone who embarrassingly posted almost 20 times in this thread, but the two situations aren't exactly analogous.

7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

No. Clutch did not mention that he was hearing things, he said he had no inside information but that it made sense to him that the Rockets would go after Amare. MattJ simply did the same thing. And if the Rockets do make this deal and get Pryzbila, then you will all eat crow, I assume?

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Everyone be sure to call Matt with your ideas on his life insurance policy, extended warranty, and cell phone service. Marketing to your casual acquaintances is cool.

9. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

If he wanted ratings, he wouldn't pick Joe Pryzbilla. He would do Wade, Amare, or someone who we would actually give a crap about. The fact that people freaked out this much over Joe Pryzbilla says a lot about the mental health of the GARM these days.

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'd venture to say that MJ heard some VERY credible information and thought he would tip all of us (you know, BIG Rocket fans) on what could possibly be coming.

Do you really think he would blab things he knows all over the radio? He would completely undermine any future attempts to get inside info from his source(s). Not to mention, if details break out too much, it could possibly hurt the Rockets as well, as other teams could get wind of it and try to ruin it somehow.

Besides, he knows full well how his credibility is shot if he comes on here with nothing to back it.

He's given us a bread crumb, nothing more nothing less.

I'd even be willing to bet we here something about this from Mark Berman tonight or something comes out in the morning.

11. kaleidosky

ok, i'm willing to give this theory a shot and wait on either something from mattj explaining it later on...or something about the transaction in the next week or so

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

that's news to me.

Gladly. Like I said, I'm not exactly blowing a gasket over this. I just don't see the comparison.

13. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Member

Bad form, Mattj. You should have presented this as a hypothetical, not a lame excuse to get more ratings for your show.

14. Dubious

Do you really think he would blab things he knows all over the radio?

Isn't that the job description?

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That's what losing Yao does to people. They want answers. The problem is, Morey is in no position to give them answers. He just doesn't know yet. Meanwhile, people are in tears about the lost season that hasn't happened yet.

Either that, or too many clutchfans goof off during work rather than actually working. Who knows?

16. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Member

I'd wager it is a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B...

17. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

you make no sense.

matt hears from people that you dont. if he heard something and felt like posting about it, that's his decision. unless you're trying to discourage people from posting insider information, or rumors, or whatever they hear, then your attitude is b.s.

regardless, i'd rather have 100 threads like this, based in some kind of reality, than another thread about how tracy is going to come back and prove everyone wrong. at least this was worth considering.

every time i have tipped this board on something, people like you have made me regret it almost immediately. i dont do it anymore because its really not worthwhile for all the crap i have to put up with, when whatever thing i talked about doesnt happen within 30 seconds of posting. you know what, a LOT of stuff gets talked about, and almost all of it doesnt happen. that does not undermine the fact that it was something going on behind the scenes, and that someone is doing you a freaking favor by sharing it.

So try to respect the fact that Matt had a reason for posting this. if that's too hard, don't expect people to continue sharing the information they have.

18. Dubious

"every time i have tipped this board on something, people like you have made me regret it almost immediately. "

example?

And why would you care? I posted brief meetings I had with Mike James (right after the trade) and Ron (I negotiated the 4 year $37 mill deal), about 1/4 of the people said I was bullshi**ng. But I didn't mind that they said that. It was just funny to me that even though they don't know squat about me, they thought I would lie about a casual conversation.

The board is here for the camaraderie, post'em if you got'em; laugh at the haters.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I think you've got this backwards. Every single time an insider posts here we have to deal with tons of annoying posts doubting their credibility. I've posted several times about how annoying that is, how it discourages insiders, etc. In this case, Mattj hurts his own credibility. We know that he's an insider, so when he posts something cryptic we take it seriously as being more than one more fan's trade idea.

This thread is going to lead to more annoying doubters in insider threads.

It's not a big deal and I'm not bent out of shape about it. And I didn't listen to 610 either. (I find all those guys annoying as hell so I just read recaps here.)

It was just a stupid thing for Matt to do. No big deal. Just a stupid thing to do.

p.s to Vinsanity: I'm pretty sure Clutch didn't come up with an idea himself and then pass it off as insider info. That's more Hoopsworld's style. And I guess, in this case, Matt's.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't we trade him for Jason Collier [R.I.P]

Rocket River
    . . . I thought Collier was a good player
    and the better player of the two