1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

remaining free agents to target

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Jul 13, 2014.

1. HCA

HCA Member

I dont think we have enough to get him now. Not sure how much we can free up tbh.

What is the word on okafor? Any chance we bring back garcia?

Beverley/brooks/canaan
    Harden/daniels
    Ariza/Wesley Johnson
    Jones/
    Howard/d-mo if he bulks up....if not he is a 4

2. HCA

HCA Member

I think okafor fits this team perfect as a backup c. You limit his minutes so he doesn't get injured. I cant find any updates on him.

Howard/okafor
    Jones/d-mo

Solid front court, but we still need a guy who can play both positions well.

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

enough with brooks...i'm ok with a veteran passing PG...

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I'd go for Stephenson, but we might not have enough capspace to get him. If not him I'd talk to Pheonix for one of their PGs. S&T Bledsoe, trade for Dragic, both would be great. If not that either, I'd talk to Boston about Rondo - unfortunately we don't have the salary to really make that work I believe...

5. HCA

HCA Member

Brooks can somewhat create his own shot and he is a very good 3pt shooter. For the room exception that is a bargain. The rockets have no guys who can create their own shot other than harden and dwight. What do we so when they are on the bench?

6. HCA

HCA Member

Trade who exactly? They are not gonna trade away what worked for them last season and almost got them to the playoffs in the wc for a stupid draft pick or some list of scrubs you think teams want. Tired of people saying this. Dragic and Bledsoe are borderline all stars. They want to build on that team to make the playoffs while collecting assets.

They expect teams to call them for a pg and they have several cheaper ones that match whatever lowball offer you throw at them.

7. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

why is nobody mentioning Ryan Kelly?

8. rock34

rock34 Member

We shoul focus on playing more inside out like
    In the playoffs and adding defense and shooters.

For now, go get a vet PG like J Nelson or Ridnour on a
    Decent contract. Bring back T. Daniels and add
    W. Johnson for wing depth and small ball 4. Try to
    Bring in J Oneal or maybe Okafor for 1 year contracts.
    Hope for some 1or 2 young guys to really step up this year
    ( Canaan, T. Daniels, Covington, T Jones, D Mo, Johnson)

While we do this we are looking for opportunities to
    Sign or trade for Dragic and Milsap with our assets
    between now and end of next year.

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Ryan Kelly

10. anchel

anchel Member

If we're really throwing away the next season, as Feigen says, with Dwight Howard and James Harden on the team, that's plain ridiculous.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

My thoughts exactly

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Brian Cook is now available more than ever and would be our stretch 4.

13. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I'd love to sign Jason Smith & Okafor. I know Smith has the size of a center, but with his jumper I think he'd be perfect starting next to Dwight. As others have said, Sessions would be a nice pickup, but I think Nick Johnson could give 15 solid minutes a night.

A trade for Jeff Green would be nice as well, and/or Brandon Bass. If we want to go small, a lineup with Ariza at the 3, Green at the 4 and Smith at the 5 would be fun to watch.

Bev/Sessions
    Harden/Daniels
    Ariza/Green
    Smith/Jones
    Howard/Okafor

Nice team for next 2 years.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nice idea. I assume the Lakers will match a Rockets offer. Uncle Les is in no mood for spending any more money.

15. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

uFA I think

16. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

This thread is very sad. I think our best shot is trading for a PF and or PG with a team that has a glut at the position - Kings PFs and Suns PGs for example.

17. saleem

Wiki isn't the best source, but it says he is restricted.

18. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/power_forwards_2014.htm
    Ryan Kelly is #14 on this list.

To everyone else who forgot or does not know him, he is 6-11. He's 23, 3pt ability, good ft shooter, ok shotblocker, good ast/to ratio for a big.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what could we possibly offer the suns for dragic? canaan, capela, johnson, dmo, jones? pels pick, our 2017 first? assortment of second rounders? that's all we have to offer.

plus morey won't trade assets for short term gains unless he thinks its gonna either: a) be a better asset than what we sent out, or b) be a 3rd star.

trading those assets for a bench player or average starter isn't really what DM is going for. so we will probably stick to signing a few free agents.

20. saleem

Sounds good. I have seen his highlights before. I was pleasantly surprised with his back to the basket game, and decent shot blocking skills. He is fairly athletic too.

I hope that DM will stop his Camby fetish. A healthy Jason Smith or Ryan Kelly sounds good to me.

Heck even J. O'Neil has some game left in him.