1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Religion of peace at work in France: Priest beheaded

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 26, 2016.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Then it is all people in that region, no? If so, that would include Muslims and non-Muslims alike from that region and therefore this would not be a ban on Muslims. That would be a much smarter approach, if a straight-up ban is actually necessary, which it surely isn't.

If the plan only applies to the people who claim to be Muslims in that region, then that is a stupid sole-issue screening criteria, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

A better, much smarter and more restrictive vetting plan would be to require people to pass muster according to some pretty strict criteria in order to get into the country. All of them. If we cannot figure out who they are, they probably in almost every case do not get in. This way, people would not have to be kept out by broad criteria, they would have to qualify to get in very specifically.

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...rant-ban-to-more-than-just-muslims-2016-07-24
    Donald Trump said Sunday that his proposal to suspend immigration from countries “compromised by terrorism” is actually an expansion of his plan to ban foreign Muslims from entering the U.S.

The GOP nominee didn’t mention the Muslim ban during his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention speech on Thursday, instead saying that immigration from countries undermined by terrorism.

Asked if the change in phrasing meant he’d stepped back from the plan, Trump told NBC’s “Meet the Press” it was just the opposite.

“I actually don’t think it’s a rollback,” Trump said in the interview that aired Sunday. “In fact, you could say it’s an expansion. I’m looking now at territory. People were so upset when I used the word Muslim. Oh, you can’t use the word Muslim. Remember this. And I’m okay with that, because I’m talking territory instead of Muslim.”

Trump admitted his new stance could now affect allies like France, rocked by ISIS terror attacks in Nice and Paris.

“It’s their own fault, because they’ve allowed people over years to come into their territory,” Trump said. “And that’s why Brexit happened, okay? Because the U.K. is saying, “We’re tired of this stuff, what’s going on, we’re tired of.’’”

Trump did not say which countries could be affected under the plan, but promised “extreme vetting.”

“We’re going to have tough standards,” he said. “And if a person can’t prove … that they’re from an area, and if a person can’t prove what they have to be able to prove, they’re not coming into this country. And I would stop the Syrian migration and a Syrian from coming into this country in two seconds.”

It appeared that Trump had backed off his December Muslim ban plan.

Last month, the tycoon announced that as president he would “suspend immigration from areas of the world when there is a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe, or our allies.”

In a separate interview airing Sunday night, Trump said he saved rival Ted Cruz from more political humiliation by entering the convention area Wednesday night as the Texas senator was getting booed for his non-endorsement.

“In retrospect, I wish I would have waited another minute. Because he was being booed right off the stage,” Trump said in a separate interview to air Sunday night on Showtime’s “The Circus.”

“I walked in and the arena went crazy. Because there’s great unity in the Republican Party, and people don’t know it. Had I not walked in, I think that audience would have ripped him off the stage. I think I did him a big favor.”

Trump plans to fund super-PACs aimed at ending the political careers of Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who shunned Trump’s convention in his home state.

Cruz’s “life in politics may be over because people are so angry with him,” he said.

This report originally appeared in NYPost.com.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I agree about your desire for a stringent vetting process. It's far more humane and logical than a stupid 'ban'. However, where we will disagree is that I believe that vetting that you desire is happening today at least in the United States. Have you noticed rampant problems with refugees in the U.S.? It takes an average of 2 years for a refugee to be properly vetted and arrive in the U.S.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So at first he said he was banning ALL Muslims (in the red above). You will do yourself a real disservice if you try to deny it, so please don't. It played well on the campaign trail and at his rallies. It also polled remarkably well. Nevertheless, it was still a spectacularly bad and ill-concieved idea.

Then last month, he said he would suspend immigration by region (highlighted in magenta above), where the countries have a proven history of terrorism against the United States. This was clearly a big change from his previous position. Once again, this is better, to the extent it is actually necessary. But it is not necessary and it is still not a good approach to this problem.

Apparently Trump has now taken a few minutes to think this through a little bit, with the assistance of someone who actually understands something about how these matters work in practice and knows what they are talking about. Trump's latest position (in the green above) - his third position on this issue during this campaign as far as I can tell (it could be more) - is what I recommended in post 41, above. If he were to get elected and he actually implement this approach, it would likely work as well as any immigration screening approach can.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Let's just do the vetting. Also, we are not only talking about refugees, although the vetting needs to apply to them too. If the process of screening them is flawed, then fix the process.

If what you mean by problems in the vetting process is that they are not being rapidly cleared and shipped to the US for various reasons, then it may be in a great many of those cases that the process is actually working as intended.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah time to get rid of the Mooooslems!!! That's the spirit!

Islam - "religion of peace". ISIS is true ISlam so time to fight the war with ISlam. Bring out the guns!!

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Didn't you serve in the US of A Military? How did they treat you during your tours of duty?

8. fchowd0311

I'll have to preface by stating that in the military especially in a Marine grunt unit full of disgruntled unfiltered males, EVERYONE rags on EVERYONE with crude racial and sexual jokes. SO yes, I've heard explicit racial jokes about my Muslim background, but 9 out of 10 times it was in jest with people I trust and know very well. That type of banter in the Marine Corps is normal. Most of the time I never felt singled out or ostracized in my unit.

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

As we see in in Europe most of these attacks are committed by 2nd generation muslims so you can inspect all you want but you can never tell how the kids of these immigrants will behave.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You mean Europos (Immigrants into Europe) I think these kid's families have been Muslims for a couple hundred years or more.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What strange dystopian reality are you living in? Things aren't that bad.

Do you have friends that you go out with? Do you even go out? What do you do for work? Relax and have a beer somewhere and talk with people. Do you live in Houston? My group of friends from Houston is extremely diverse and I appreciate it greatly.

If you really believe these canned lines then you need some serious help, because you are being indoctrinated and becoming radicalized. I'm not even trying to sound condescending. I mean you do recognize that "white" America wasn't exactly homogeneous when the different white cultural groups first came here, right? You do recognize there was major religious strife between Catholics and Protestants not too long ago, right?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Aren't you a second generation immigrant? I thought your parents were from Iran or something.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You got people with Swastika and Nazi/Klan memorabilia hung near the bunkers/beds and that doesn't bother you? I saw a documentary on that.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

My parents were the perfect exemplary of immigrants. They worked hard, contributed to the country, paid taxes and eventually employed workers. Most importantly they came here in the late 80's. It's a different time now.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude ur parents were immigrants? Like that Mexican judge ruling on Trump University?

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And they are from Iran, right?

Are they Muslim too?

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So you would say everything is 100% perfect with Muslims in Europe today?

You're very out of touch, if so.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This is just fn hilarious. Second gen Iranian hating on immigrants. Me and my family are perfect but the rest of yall suck :rolleyes:

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

20. fchowd0311

My unit didn't have any open neo-nazis/white supremacists that I knew of.