1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Relationship Thread] Why won't it ever work out for me?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Well, I wasn't really going to post anything, but since I know how much the board loves relationship threads, I figured I wouldn't withhold my inaugural contribution.

Why doesn't it ever work out for me?

I don't get it. Pretty much every time I meet a woman I connect with, she's either married or in a serious relationship. Every damned time. It really sucks.

I'm a really nice guy, I'm friendly, I can be pretty funny, I'm sociable, blah blah blah. I've been single for some time, and I was pretty okay with it. At work about a month ago, I met a girl I really liked. She'd recently broken up with someone, and we became pretty good friends. We've been talking for a while, some flirting, hanging out after work, etc. I felt like we had a really great connection, and I figured there might be something there. Today, I laid it on the line, and told her how I felt. As you can well imagine, she wasn't interested.

It shouldn't have been a big deal, but I felt pretty crushed. I guess I'd just built it up in my mind that this might be the one. I dunno, I just really felt good about it. I mean, I've dealt with rejection before, but this one was much more painful than others. I have no hard feelings towards her, and I still want to be friends (no awkwardness or anything), but I'm just pretty disappointed. Over the past week, from our talking, I was able to tell that she wasn't really interested in being in dating anyone. But this is the last week we're working together, so I resolved that no matter what, I was going to put it on the line this week. Since I began to deduce what the answer would be, it took a while to get the courage to face nearly certain rejection, but finally, I did indeed tell her how I felt. And it didn't work out.

Like I said, I just don't get it. I am beginning to think that this isn't ever going to work out for me. I'm not too old (26 - exactly Yao Ming's age - same birthday), but I feel much older. I'm starting to feel like the clock is ticking . . . I don't know why, but I do. I don't know what my problem is, but there has to be something I could do. Thing is, I'm the person who everyone comes to with problems . . . friends are always calling me for advice, or a shoulder to cry on, etc. And now I'm the one in a tight spot, and I feel like crap. I don't understand how I can make things work for everyone else, but when it comes to me, I am a pretty big failure. When other girls didn't really work out, I didn't care too much. Before this girl, I was okay with being alone. Now, I am realizing that I'm pretty freaking tired of it.

I know this will pass -- after having several drinks with a friend after work, I feel better about things. But it still sucks. I just don't understand why I can't seem to find love.

Come on Clutchfans, cheer me up.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You work with computers, though, right?

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Sounds like you just waited too long to pounce on this one.

Don't worry about it, you're a great guy and are bound to wind up with a great woman.

4. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

That has always been my ultimate fear.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

3 Things

1. The older you are, the better your chances. Women's clocks run faster than yours. Their clocks are like dog years. You are at your peak. Late 20's, early 30's, women get tired of dating losers and are beginning to look long term. They start choosing their mates more carefully.

2. Don't look too hard. At this moment, you wish the perfect person would walk right up and make you forget about this girl. That's what all people who break up feel. It never works out that way. You have to just let it happen.

3. Get a new hobby and focus your energy on something productive. Learn a new skill. It may allow you to meet new and interesting people - increasing your odds of meeting new women. It may also make you more marketable professionally or help you with your dating. For example, learn to cook so that when you do meet someone great, you can impress them.

If none of those work, go rent some p*rn or hang out with people with small penises so you can boost your self esteem.

And don't slouch. Bad posture's a killer.

6. Vengeance

I must admit, I feel better knowing that I did face it and didn't chicken out. I mean, if I'd said nothing, I would feel a lot worse, I think. I've been in this sort of situation before, and man does it suck. I thought about it a lot beforehand, and decided that the chance that something might happen was worth the risk. It just didn't pan out.

Sort of - I'm an IT Auditor/consultant. Next month I'll be moving to Computer Forensics though :) Can't wait for that!

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

i know exactly how you feel...im still looking for the answers myself, and its becoming more apparent with every passing day that what i envision as the ultimate happiness does not actually exist. i just try to keep my mind off of it by focusing on other things, but the pain keeps resurfacing for me one way or another. the best thing to do is to keep a positive attitude, keep trying, and pray that one day the big guy upstairs shows some mercy. best of luck

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

pretty much same. But whatever...it comes and goes. Just gotta be satisfied being single.. if something else happens, great. otherwise, oh well..

9. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Why do you guys hate being single so much? I'm in an LTR and I love it, but sometimes i miss those being single days. I see no point in rushing to find a GF, it will come in time. Be picky and don't settle.

10. Vengeance

I think you have a point, and I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm personally getting tired of being single. Maybe if I were in a relationship, I'd like to be single again, but right now I'm starting to get pretty lonely. It's been years since I've been in a promising relationship, and it's starting to get kind of old.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It seems like you waited to long and entered the friend zone. You don't put it on the line like that until you know what the answer is.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Feeling unconfident might be the worst result that comes out of this. You can approach women with a different attitude than you normally act and see how that works out.

Failure's a feeling people avoid, but other than that, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There really is no "friend zone", a chick pretty much decides within the first hour of meeting you whether she'll be interested or not. Theres a small window to change her opinion in the next few weeks, after the initial sparks and no move made, you don't have the confidence and thus end up in a "friend zone" of your own construction.

14. Vengeance

I don't know if it was a timing thing or not. I may have just been originally slotted on the friend ladder without realizing it. Timing could've been better -- maybe I should've done this a few weeks ago. I guess I didn't want to come on too strong, after she had broken up with her former boyfriend. Plus with us working together, I didn't want this hanging over our heads. I was pretty sure I knew what the answer was, but I wanted to put it on the line anyways . . . I wanted her to know how I felt. Turns out I was right . . .

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

V,

You sound like a great guy, if she is not the right one for you, then move on.....you will find the one......lightning strikes when you are least expecting it.

Good luck to you bro, at 26, you got plenty of time, I was 30 before I married.

Enjoy the single life, and before you know it, you will be blindsided.

DD

16. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Maybe Size does matter.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Hispanic?

18. cdastros

cdastros Member

Sounds like to me that you are way too much of a pushover. You are getting put in the friendship area because you are thinking way too much and not following your heart. Don’t tell women your feeling show her. Outside of a girl being in marriage, you should never hold your feeling back if you feel there is a connection. Don’t be scared to give your heart to women and be rejected because the sooner you know the better.

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Vengeance,

Hey bud, don't look so hard to find a girl. I have always found that when you aren't looking, you will find. Also, don't settle. I got married for all the wrong reasons, and now I am divorced.

It just isn't worth it.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dont ever settle for a girl...if something bugs you about someone at the beginning, that little something is only gonna exponentially grow as time goes on.

Be picky and dont sell yourself short for anyone. Dont try to get a girlfriend, it'll eventually fall in your lap.