1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rejuvenated Houston Cougar Basketball Loses to Rice?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by El_Conquistador, Jan 11, 2006.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Did the UH Cougar team that has been boasting of their newfound glory just lose to the lowly Rice Owls in basketball? I heard a rumor they did. Just wanted to come here to confirm it.

Did the nerds really pull another one out over the cross town rival Cougars?

Is Penders 0-2 against the Owls while at UH? What happened, I thought UH was good after beating LSU and Arizona!!

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yeah they lost but trust me, they are better than the owls. They just had one of those games where they couldn't get nothing going shooting. Their leading scorer had only 2 points. They have no inside presence. I think UH will make the NIT.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Great win for the Owls. I really expected Rice to win this game. Rice has now beaten UH 4 out of the last 5 games in basketball. This is very much a rebuilding year for the Owls, but we still had enough in the tank to beat up on the Coogs by 9 points. Nice win, Owls!

4. bigtexxx

Trust me, better teams don't lose 4 out of the last 5 games to the "weaker team".

EDIT: Excuse me. Rice has now won FOUR STRAIGHT

#4 bigtexxx, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Then why did they lose? Again??

Wow, losing to the nerds. That's got to STING.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I almost got in on the action of Rice plus the points (6.5). But I decided if Rice really had a shot of winning, the line wouldn't be that high. Oh well. :(

7. bigtexxx

Hey sorry, brah. Better luck next time. I don't bet on the Owls.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A Bigtexx sighting!!! I was wondering where you disappeared to, I thought you moved to Canada.

9. bigtexxx

Thanks for your concern. I'm doing well. I've been out of town for a while, and I've also been devoting myself to an intense workout program (not that I'm not already in peak physical condition, but I'm taking it to another level).

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

All I can say is, for a team to beat AZ and LSU and then turn into an intramural team once they see a 2-3 zone is mind-boggling.

Rice's hustle really won the game, they didn't play ahead of themselves and it worked well. A cool head wins games more often than not.

However, #4 for Rice committed about a dozen shooting fouls in the lane from that 2-3 zone, none of which were called. Our players eventually got tired of driving the lane, being hammered, and turning the ball over with no whistle. They abandoned the inside game and Rice was able to rotate 2 on the shooter every time. This falls squarely on Penders.

Hofheinz should be extra crazy come March 1st.

Here's to hoping we meet in the conference tournament.

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Yes, you guys won the basketball game. No excuses.
    See you wanna be intellectuals on 03/01/06.

12. bigtexxx

The Chronicle did a couple of stories on the game last night. Attached is one. Donny - did you learn any tips from Autry's Army?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3581736.html

Jan. 12, 2006, 12:24AM
    Owls make it 4 in a row
    Poor shooting takes toll as UH lose still another to crosstown rival

By MICHAEL MURPHY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

This was supposed to be the statement game, one where the Houston Cougars officially announced that they were back to reclaim the city as their own after three consecutive losses to the Rice Owls.

Houston, facing Rice in the intimate surroundings of Autry Court on Wednesday night, was back all right — back to all the old bad habits that have made the Cougars so frustratingly unpredictable over the years.

Unable to solve a simple zone defense, UH resorted to a barrage of off-target 3-pointers that doomed the Cougars to a 71-62 loss to the Owls in the Conference USA opener for both teams.

Houston fans, who made up at least half of the 3,664 in attendance, couldn't get out of the building fast enough as the clock ran down. Not many were around to see Rice's Lorenzo Williams dribbling out the final 6.6 seconds with his index finger extended.

For the Cougars (9-4, 0-1), it was a borderline disaster considering all the talking they did before the game.

But for the Owls (7-7, 1-0), it was the perfect start to their first season in a new conference.

"It's always good to get a win when you're opening conference up," said Williams, who beat UH last year with a last-second shot. "We wanted to get off to a good start and get our feet wet in conference."

The Cougars appeared to have cold feet, failing to score for the first 7:27. The crowd kept waiting, but three minutes passed ... then four ... then five. ...

Finally, Sergio de Randamie took a pass from Brian Latham and dropped in a layup that broke the dry spell. Instead of off and running in this big rivalry game, Houston instead was running for cover. It was Rice's fourth consecutive victory over UH and the Owls' fifth in the last six meetings.

Afterward, the Rice players politely pretended that it was just another win.

"The previous years don't really matter," said the Owls' Morris Almond, who had 24 points and 11 rebounds in a performance that included a spectacular first-half dunk over Houston's Ramon Dyer.

As usual, the Cougars got creamed on the boards (45-33). And with its adventurous shot selection, UH made only 30.6 percent (22-of-72) of its attempts while red-hot Rice dropped in almost 53 percent (27-of-51, including 15 of 23 in the second half)..

Indeed, facing what coach Tom Penders called "a high school zone," the Cougars jacked up 38 3-point attempts and made only 11.

Houston's Oliver Lafayette, known as "The O-Show," was the "O-fer-Show" in this one, going 0-for-10 and missing all seven of his 3-point tries. This came on the heels of his 3-for-14 game against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

"I won't make any excuses for Oliver," Penders said. "He's in a funk.

"All I know is that he either gets off the schneid or he's on the bench."

Hey, it's not like Lafayette was alone.

Lafayette, Brian Latham (0-for-4), Tristan Martin (0-for-3) and Chris Lawson (0-for-1) combined to go 0-for-18, missing 13 3-point attempts.

The Autry Army, Rice's student cheering section, which on this night included new football staff members like Todd Graham and Major Applewhite, got hoarse chanting "air ball" in this one. The Cougars threw up at least 10 shots that were long, short, wide left or wide right. And that includes a free throw.

"You go into conference play and a lot of things change," Owls coach Willis Wilson said. "Your mindset changes. It's a new beginning and a chance to get off to a good start. That's what we wanted to do."

michael.murphy@chron.com

13. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

rice suxxx

14. bigtexxx

I took this from the Rice board. It's a picture of Major Applewhite getting rowdy with Autry's Army at the Rice game!

[​IMG]

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's got the same smile I've had plastered on my face since around 11:30 on 1/4/06.

Good win for Rice. It's crazy how inconsistent UH is. I'm gonna have to check out the rematch in March.

16. DonnyMost

Yeah, I learned that Harry Potter could totally beat Gandalf in a fight.

And that a +3 poison dagger always beats a +5 breastplate.

Texxx, Trader, lets get together and have a beer before the next game.. what do you say?

17. bigtexxx

Donny - I believe the next game is on the UH campus. I know better than to attend sporting events over there, especially at night. Perhaps before a baseball game in the Spring.

18. DonnyMost

Are you sure?

My treat, dawg.

[​IMG]

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

bigtexxx insulting the UofH neighborhood, classic stuff.

lets finish it off

cougar high
    ghetto
    tee-shirt

20. DonnyMost

"Now that's good ol' fashioned family racism"

[​IMG]