1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reintroducing a cinematic Batman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dark Rhino, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

For all the comic guys out there...

http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=806

Awesome Batman Article in Variety! Source: Variety Sunday, February 8, 2004

Variety has published an excellent article on the new Batman movie with quotes from director Christopher Nolan, writer David Goyer, and Warner Bros. If you have a subscription, just click the link above to check it out. If not, here are highlights from the article...

This time around, it's about the genesis of Batman: How billionaire Bruce Wayne makes a series of decisions that turn him into the Caped Crusader. Batman will be more realistic and less cartoonish. There are no campy villains. Wayne -- younger, more vulnerable, more human -- will be getting as much attention as his masked alter-ego.

"I felt like doing the origins story of the character, which is a story that's never been told before," says Chris Nolan ("Insomnia," "Memento"), who takes the reins of "Batman" from Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher.

Humanity and realism, says Nolan, is the crux of the new pic.

"The world of Batman is that of grounded reality," he says. Burton's and Schumacher's visions were idiosyncratic and unreal. Nolan says, "Ours will be a recognizable, contemporary reality against which an extraordinary heroic figure arises."

Nolan, a self-confessed James Bond fan as a child, is keen on reinventing Wayne as more of a modern-day Bond than hapless playboy -- an action-adventure hero who has mythic qualities and battles the odds to save the world.

WB Pictures prexy of production Jeff Robinov says, "There's an emotional component to the film which grounds it and really tells us about Bruce Wayne's struggle."

While the new Bruce Wayne is getting emphasis, Nolan, scripter David Goyer and WB have focused on fixing problems that plagued the other pics. For example, Bruce Wayne was too dark and impenetrable and had lost the humorous side found in the comics. The character was basically just dead screen time until Batman appears -- which in the new film may not happen until 40 minutes after it begins.

"If we're successful, the thing that will be talked about a lot and on what we worked on the hardest is that the audience will really care about Bruce Wayne and not just Batman," Goyer says. It doesn't matter how much you spend on special effects -- if it feels hollow, no one gives a damn."

Nolan starts helming the film next month, and its summer 2005 release will prove whether WB has been able to breathe new life into the Caped Crusader -- and to rescue its biggest franchise outside of "Harry Potter."

So the new, untitled "Batman" is getting a complete overhaul, backed by a roughly $150 million budget.

Rather than pit Batman against a new set of supervillains, the new film focuses on how billionaire Bruce Wayne becomes the Dark Knight.

"It's almost impossible to reinvent Batman," says Robinov. "Chris is reintroducing Batman, and it feels smart and cool and fresh. That's no disrespect to the other movies, but it's really Chris' vision of Batman, and that's what we're supporting."

There'll be a new Batmobile, a new arsenal of gadgets, a new Batsuit (sans nipples) as well as a new musical theme.

Even Gotham City is getting a facelift. Previous pics made the city seem dark and claustrophobic or garishly stylized. Instead of lensing on sets built inside huge soundstages, the new film will be shot on locations in New York, London and Iceland, assembling pieces of each city to recreate Gotham as a modern-day metropolis.

"Gotham will seem like this great city in a contemporary world and will be created through various cities," Nolan says. "We are trying to avoid a villagey feel for Gotham, as it starts to get claustrophobic."

Goyer -- who penned the successful "Blade" series for New Line and was a former staffer at "Batman" publisher DC Comics -- adds: "As the Batman films progressed, they became increasingly more cartoonish and more like the campy TV show. We think the audience is tired of that, and it's at odds with the way Batman is depicted in the comicbooks over the last decade. Batman is a classic figure whose story is wrapped in tragedy."

Nolan jumps on that theme: "Few superheroes have the sense of purpose and destiny that Batman has. He is driven by an incredible sense of rage, sadness and grief because of the tragedy of his parents' murder at an early age. To me, Batman is the most interesting superhero because he doesn't have any superpowers. He is very human."

The casting of Bale, Nolan hopes, will not only give audiences a younger Batman to root for but also a weighty sense of his true character.

"Bruce Wayne is strong, and the things that are done to him to make him become Batman are all psychological and character-based," Nolan says. "We needed an actor capable of taking us along on this journey and showing the different psychological layers which inspire Bruce to become Batman."

In terms of whether the movie will be too dark, Robinov says the film's more about conflict than darkness: about Batman's internal conflict and what drives him to suit up as a superhero.

The director's feeling the pressure to succeed. "It's an awesome responsibility," Nolan says, "because the fan base for Batman is extraordinary, and there's a lot of emotional investment in the character."

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Should be good, unlike the "freight train of sh*t" that will be Superman. After both come out, the WB will realize why hiring a talented director like Nolan was a brilliant move and why hiring a all flash and no substance music video director who's last movie sucked ass, McG, was extremely stupid.

Good thing I'm a batman fan because superman fans are screwed.

*expecting moes19 to ring in with "stupid fanboy" comment

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

it sounds crap. a batman spin of the smallville tv series.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Maybe in the same way that 'Memento' was just 'Clean Slate' again.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Interesting. The look of Gotham in the Burton films and animated series was certainly distinct, but I wouldn't call it claustrophobic at all. Anything's better than the ridiculously large statues in the Schumacher ones I suppose...

I forgot who said it, but someone had a great take when they said something along the lines of "it's not Bruce Wayne that dresses up as Batman, it's Batman that masquerades as Bruce Wayne."

Eh. I'm probably the only guy that would like to see a big screen version of The Dark Knight Returns done with the cast and style of the '60s Adam West TV show. :p ;)

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That alone is nice to read.

A combination like Nolan and Goyer at least seems a step in the right direction. I wonder exactly how they'll tackle the 'villain' angle, though. I think a mature, solid Bat flick could be made with, say, Ras Al Ghul as the villain as well.

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

Memento - Very overrated.

Carry on. ;)

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Ra's Al Ghul is the villian in this one. Jonathan Crane (Scarecrow) is in it too.

9. Oski2005

Looks like Liam Neeson is now in the new Batman film and will play a villian. This movie continues to sound better all the time.

Liam Neeson a Villain in Batman! Source: Cinescape Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Cinescape has followed up their report from yesterday with the news that Liam Neeson indeed is in Batman...

Yesterday we reported to you that a trustworthy source informed us that actor Liam Neeson was either signed to star in the new BATMAN movie or closely circling the project. Today we heard from a second source -- and again, one that is known to us and whom we trust -- who tells us that Neeson is confirmed to be starring in BATMAN: INTIMIDATION GAME.

On top of that, this second individual tells us that the part Neeson is playing in Christopher Nolan's BATMAN is a villain!

http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=826

10. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Wow. Nobody's inked for Ra's yet. Could it be Neeson? I could see that working.

12. Oski2005

I'm a little worried about this cartoon. Batman the animated series and Gotham Knights are hard to top. They aren't going with the same team and are instead using the guys who make that show, Static Shock.

Edit, couldn't get these pics to work, just go to this link if you are interested.
    http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=102021

Here are some toys too, the Joker looks F'd up, really F'd up.
    [​IMG]

I don't really like the look so far, the previous show was geared for everybody and I think this show is aimed at young kids only(silly thing to say since I'm talking about a cartoon show). It'd be cool if someday they make a batman cartoon like the HBO Spawn cartoon. That was one graphic show.

#12 Oski2005, Feb 11, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  13. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Neeson is such a brilliant actor that he could make anything work.

(I saw him onstage in New York in The Crucible as John Proctor, and he was a force of nature.)

Physically, however, I see him as more of a Jonathan Crane. He's got the height even if he's not as skinny as the Scarecrow.

Either way would be cool. Good to see that they're taking a page out of X-Men casting by having serious actors with gravitas (Michael Caine and now Neeson.)

To me, the quality of the acting of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan brings those movies a sense of realism even when ice is shooting out of Bobby Drake's eyeballs.

14. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

More fun bat facts from DC in relation to movie role for the Dark Knight.
    http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=809

DC Comics Has 3 Rings for Batman Movie Source: Variety Sunday, February 8, 2004

In a second article in Variety, the Hollywood trade talked to DC Comics about their role in the new Batman movie.

The company has what it calls a circle of "three rings" that make up the Batman universe.

There's the "aspirational experience," which Levitz says consists of how people react emotionally to the Bruce Wayne character, his traumatic childhood involving the death of his parents and how that leads the billionaire to use his riches to fight crime.

"It's all about making you feel that if you went through something traumatic, you'd rise to the challenge in the same way," Levitz says.

The second ring: "You go to a Batman movie expecting certain moments," Levitz says. "You expect to see the Batmobile, the Batcave, the Bat Signal, his utility belt, Batman swinging across Gotham City. That's your wow."

Another expectation is the prospect of seeing something that hasn't appeared in other Batman outings. "There's always the question of how do you give the audience something they haven't seen before," Levitz says.

The final ring deals with the creative interpretation that the director, writers and actors bring to the project.

"They each want to bring things that are unique, but they can't fight the other rings of the circle," Levitz says. "It would be unique to have Batman tripping over himself, but that wouldn't be good."

DC will remain largely hands-off during production of the new "Batman."

Levitz stresses that DC's role is adviser. It doesn't have final script approval.

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

Did anybody see the trailer for The Machinist starring Christian Bale? Holy crap, Bale looked like a skeleton. He lost over 60 pounds for the role.

16. Oski2005

He's already gained that back. Here he is at Sundance. Looks kind of chubby around the neck.
    [​IMG]

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was so excited to hear Bale was going to be Batman. I think this guy has the chops to be a seriously kickass actor. Hell, he was already pretty good as a kid in Empire of the Sun. A lot of people didn't really get into American Psycho because of the content, but I like the job he did in that movie as well. And as for having anything to do with the movie Shaft...well, nobody's perfect. I'm looking forward to this...a LOT.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Of course, if they're going for realism, the immortal Ra's Al Ghul may not be the best villain to start out with. That being said, I am cautiously optimistic that Nolan can deliver a good Batflick. As long as WB stays the hell away and allows him to make his movie and doesn't micromanage it to death(*cough*Superman*cough*).

19. Oski2005

I heard they aren't even mentioning the Lazerous pits, most likely, Ra's won't be immortal.

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

Bale was amazing in American Psycho.