1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reincarnated 20 years later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Apr 30, 2015.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I don't think you can compare non championship players to players who have won the title. Until this current version of the Rockets win a championship then you can start talking about comparisons

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

CHI yet again dropping truth bombs

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

How could the op forget how deep our bench was in 1995? Chucky Brown, Pete Chilcutt, Zan Tabak and Charles Jones are the reason we won that year.

The remarkable thing about the 1995 team was that we didn't have home court in any series and after the 1st round we only played with a 10 man rotation (Mad Max left and Carl Herrera was injured). Only 5 players from that roster were on the 1994 Championship team.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

True story. Mario Elie lead the league in true shooting percentage in 96-97

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There was but it was pretty damn shiiity dial up..

6. SilentAssassin

Sam Cassell=Clint Capela the rookie who steps up big during the playoffs

There's also the 95-96 team comparison, 2 old team mates who reunite to win big in the playoffs.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

people are trying to create some kind of magic by comparing this team to 95 but there is no comparison. Totally different team. Drexler does not play like Harden and Hakeem does not play like Dwight.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

1995 fans vs 2015 fans.

9. Airdough

Airdough Member

The similarities were you had two superstars surrounded by capable role players who can hit spot up threes and get to the basket in transition. Neither team always played locked down defense, but came up with timely steals and relied heavily on its main rim protector.

While the 95 team was always on the road, this 2015 team is not considered favorites either. There were people who thought we would lose to Dallas and whoever we play from here on out will be considered a heavy favorite. With our stars being young, this team is likely more of a blend between the late 70s and mid 80s squads.

If this team can get the breaks and continue to grind out wins, the month of May can be a lot of fun.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

lol @ Sam I Am = Prigs

Sam would run circles around any point guard on our team.

And Dwight does not come anywhere close to Hakeem on the offensive side.

Harden is better then Clyde.

Horry, Sam I Am, Dream, Clyde, Mario, Kenny were some of the most clutch players I have ever seen. Nobody on this team comes close. But hey....good thing all our current guys are young so they have a chance to get there.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember talking smack to Magic fans on IRC on a Unix work station at school.

12. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

If there was we would all know because you'd be screaming 95'er to all us inferior 96'ers and up

13. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

I take that back. Looks like rocketsjudoka has got you beat tinman.

he's a 95er and you're late.

95'er > 99'er

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree with most of your post I think this is off base. Drexler at his height was much more of a complete player than Harden. While Harden has made huge strides in D Clyde was a much better defender and could also put up 40 pts quite often.

If we could have a 30 year old Clyde Drexler playing in today's game he would dominate. With the league favoring guard play and friendlier rules forbidding hand checks a top form Drexler would be able to score at will.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

irc was terrible

people had to do direct dialup to play doom against each other

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yep back on IRC newsgroups sports.nba.rockets

Heck I'm a 91'er since that was the first time I used IRC was back in the Computer lab at the basement of Evans Hall in Berkeley.

17. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

I wasn't on the interwebz until maybe 97. I remember having to choose from a list of numbers to dial up to just get a connection through AOL. And then after that it was only a matter of waiting 15 minutes for my pr0n image to load up.

18. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Damn. You old. just joshin ya man.

We have a 91'er guys!

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've heard 2 interviews from 2 separate players this year (Terry & Brewer) where they both said: "Stay humble. Stay hungry."

That makes me smile.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The only thing similar from then to now is Hannah Storm.