1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Reign of Witches"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by amfootball, Nov 8, 2004.

1. amfootball

amfootball Member

Will this woman EVER shut her mouth? Please stop talking...and singing!

http://barbrastreisand.com/statements.html#wemusthavepatience

We Must Have Patience ...Barbra Streisand
    Posted on November 8, 2004
    In response to the results of the Presidential election last week, I would like to share with you a quote from Thomas Jefferson. Although written in 1798, I feel his words speak perfectly to the strong sentiments of frustration and disappointment 48% of the country feel.

"A little patience, and we shall see the <b>reign of witches</b> pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt......If the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at stake."

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This b**** may force me to boycott Meet The Fockers when it comes out.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I'm already there. I was looking forward to it, until a week ago when at the movies I saw the preview and was reminded that she was in it.

I won't go see it, and it is because of her.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

until the celebrity liberals get off their high horse and accept the reality of the whole country, they are only going to further seperate voters that they desperately need. Someone needs to group these celebrities together and tell them that their rants do nothing but preach to the choir and turn off the people in the middle.

And Faos, I don't care how stupid she is, its still wrong to call women that.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

Tell that to Meredith Brooks and the millions of women that loved that stupid song

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It's not like I'm a rapper and call all women "b****es and ho's".

Witch, b****, whatever. I truely think she is a b****.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

speaking of lame, liberal celebrities that actually think we give a damn what they think regarding politics, i cant wait for South Park to tear into sean "gone to bagdhad" penn sometime soon. that will be f*cking sweet.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

At least she cares, and puts her money and her skills as an artist behind what she believes in. That's more than most people in this country do, no matter what their "politics" might be.

I've never been much of a fan, but I remember watching her live, on the Tonight Show, when she was on for the first time and sang. She came on stage, skinny, with a nose that looked like the end of a golf club, and you wondered why she was there. Then, she began to sing, and blew the doors off the place. Johnny Carson was sitting with his mouth open, astonished, and began to applaud. It was quite a moment, and really the start of her career.

Sometimes we forget that many of these "big Hollywood stars" began with next to nothing, got a break, and then ran with it. Isn't that what this country ultimately is all about?

Keep D&D Civil!!

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Sure. Appreciate it. Help someone else along. Don't try to leverage it on things that don't belong.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Deckard,

I don't like everyone hammering liberal or conservative celebrities for voicing their opinions, even vociferously. But some celebs are idiots and deserve the grief. Streisand is a proven eco-hypocrite to the extreme. She's despicable.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is exactly right, I have people at work who are calling everyone that voted for Bush stupid, and non intellectual.

While I did not vote for Bush, I think this elitist attitude is exactly the reason Kerry lost.

The next canadite that is an everyday man will win with 60% of the vote.

People want someone they can relate too, this election was Bush versus Bush lite.

DD

#11 DaDakota, Nov 8, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yeah, and conservatives can continue to sing about ignorance about a whole group of people and put a boot up their A$$ and it's considered patriotic.

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I found this interesting....
    -------

link

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, she's got a despicable nose.
    Look, I'm not trying to make a big deal about defending Streisand from critcism. Personally, I've always found her a bit hard to take, especially in the movies. (she should have stuck to singing) But what she said, putting aside the "reign of witches" part of it, is very close to what several million people in this country are feeling right now. Many of us are astonished that a majority of the country, of those who voted, decided that this President, based on his record, deserved reelection.

"we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt......"

I may not have put it quite this way, but what is dishonest about this statement? As a country, in my opinion, we are suffering deeply in spirit. The Presidential campaign we witnessed, where literally hundreds of millions of dollars were spent by both sides to villify and denigrate each other, where two unworthy candidates vied for the right to lead us, and lead us to what?? We could never get a coherent message from Kerry, and Bush has got us locked in a war he chose to make, with no end in site, and he's running up trillions of dollars in debt for our children and grandchildren to try and pay off.

That's a hell of a thing. And Streisand saying it is not dishonest.

Keep D&D Civil!!

15. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Well, that list may be a bit biased, don't you think? They take the democratic side and select many that served, and they take the republican side and pick out the ones that didn't.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

as an Aside. . . . .
    I don't know much about ole girls Politics
    but
    I've just never been a big fan of her ACTING
    I cannot see her being FUNNY

Rocket River
    They should have gotten Bette Midler. . . they look alike to me anyway

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

:D

Actually, I was responding to what sounded like at least some mild defense of Streisand: 'At least she cares, and puts her money and her skills as an artist behind what she believes in.'

She may care, but she wanted everyone else to make sacrifices, not her. That type of elitist hypocrisy is disgusting and frankly, I wouldn't bother to read anything else that she espouses. She lost all credibility IMO, and deserves less attention to her political views than my 3 year-old.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Celebrities are entitled to lend support to one political cause or another or one political party or the other, just like any citizen. They reach more people because of their celebrity status.

Celebrities have been doing it since the 1920s. It went on through WWII and the McCarthy hearings of the early 1950s. It went on through the Vietnam War. The list of celebrities who have supported various political causes is long...Charlie Chaplin, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, etc. etc. It isn't anything new.

That being said, when a celebrity does take a stand for something or against something else, they have to be aware that some of their fans may not agree with them, and may not be fans of theirs any longer due to their politics. It's a two way street.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

These celebs serve an important purpose: MONEY.

They give give alot of money and they raise alot of money. So Dems better becareful before they tell them to be quiet in 2008.

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

toby keith - cowboy poet/patriot
    "the angry american"

justice will be served and the battle will wage
    this big dog will fight if you rattle his cage
    you'll be sorry that you messed with the u.s. of a
    cause we'll put a boot up your ass, its the american way

hey uncle sam put your name at the top of his list
    and the statue of liberty started shakin' her fist
    and evil will die and there's gonna be hell
    when you hear mother freedom start ringin' her bell