1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Regrouping after the Butler saga

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Nov 10, 2018.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At the point we just need scoring and consistent 3 pt shooting. Unless they're Isiah Thomas short and is a TOTAL defensive liability I don't care how short they are.

2. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Just feels like on paper is makes sense but with switching defense it falls apart

3. malakas

malakas Member

There are some serious misconceptions in this thread.
    First of all why the heck is Knight coming back under the positives? It sounds more like a threat to the fans.

Also why do some ppl believe that Washington and Charlotte are tanking and would be interested in our picks? Neither team is tanking and Kemba wants to resign in Charlotte.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Butler conclusion is disappointing.

It is rare that a high value, high ceiling star becomes available at a discounted cost because of circumstances. This was Butler.

To reduce the margin for error, getting high ceiling players is a must.

Just because the Rockets might be buyers, doesn't mean there are any sellers with high value talent. We see the Wizards as a dumpster fire, but that does not mean they will be will to make trades or even care about what we might have to offer.

My guess is, whatever move(s) the Rockets make next will be smaller and "at the margins" for role players that tighten up the roster.

The Butler miss was a tough blow. He would have been a great fit on multiple levels.

Tough to lose out on Paul George last summer and Jimmy Butler this fall.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

For the most part I praise the Rockets.....but when that is ineffective I will turn on them to get their act together.
    (Now they are playing right tonight)

Rockets were looking like they would lose the next 6 (after Spurs game) and go 4-13 (almost a quarter of the season wasted).

These missed layups and FT’s were/are unacceptable. Now that the defense is in order....practice some freakin’
    layups and FT’s!!

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right.

Would love to go get Kyle Korver though.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Korver would be good as well as Bazemore

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Bazemore's contract is not good. Let's get Korver...would be amazing if he were to get bought out.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not for a first rounder as suggested, though. That’s crazy talk imo. Not that I value late 1’s crazy high, but come on...Korver is 137 years old.

Should be good in this offense if the Rockets landed him. I’d be down for the right price.

HP3 and Vivi like this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Unless our record and our play is as if we have a chance at getting home court in the first round before the trade deadline, I don’t see how we make a move. I don’t think Morey will sacrifice much. Unless it’s a player you can build around on top of Harden, CP3 and Capela, a la Butler, it would be too risky to sacrifice our only assets, multiple future firsts. I can’t think of another Butler scenario besides maybe Kevin Love, but that makes no sense for us. Doubt Daryl gives up a first for say, Korver, if we’re hovering around 8th seed or trying to get in the playoff picture.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

What we should be concentrating on right now is trying to find a back up PG and a back up C (unless NeNe gets healthy). Whether it be from the G-League or overseas or what not.

That way we hold Knight’s contract and our picks as our trade assets to trade for a 3 that may be available in the next couple months. It won’t be a big player probably, but also won’t involve much picks.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Im still down to look at Washington, lets eat that Porter contract(i know tilman wont do it ugh), we should root for them to be awful so they are willing to do a fire sale..

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I could do Knight + an FRP for Bazemore. Would be a fair deal for Atlanta. We know they are looking for more FRPs while they tank.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

For me the needs at this point are a back up C (i assume Nene is done but i hope to be wrong of course), back up PG and a two way starting SF.

Since no all star is available i would like to bet on a young player with upside like Oubre or Winslow, but the second i don't think is available, the first might be, just not really sure what it would require to get him, maybe a 1st rounder and Chriss to match the salary would be enough...

For the center Dedmon should be a decent option, not sure a 2nd rounder is enough to get him, but personally i wouldn't move anything more, i also wonder if Atlanta will eventually buy him out if they don't get good offers.

As for the PG my guess is we wait for Knight to see if/what he has left in the tank unless we can steal someone in a trade for another piece.

#114 Vivi, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

They refused to trade Bazemore for a 1st and Anderson though...there was a rumor this summer about them asking for 1st rounder and Melton, or maybe even more, can't remember now but, yeah...with that said they can always lower the price, wouldn't even be shocked after all, i don't think there're are exactly a lot of teams interested in taking back Bazemore with that contract, even though i might be wrong of course. Apparently the Pelicans were also interested...

I agree with you about that being a fair deal btw, i would still prefer to go after a young player with upside like Oubre if a 1st rounder and fillers is what it takes to get him though.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson made more money than Bazemore which is probably why they didn't do the deal. Knight doesn't make as much.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's true, just not sure how big of a deal 3/5M of difference per year are/were for a team like the Hawks, they had plenty of cap space at the time.

BigShasta likes this.
  18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Agreed, its really hard to see whats next. The only thing i could thinknof would be a swing for the fences.... capela, every 1st round pick u can offer, gordan n everybody expect harden n paul for anthony davis. But they would say no to that. So dont see anyone else thats can ride in n save us

19. Audioout

Audioout Member

Been trying to look at realistic trade options we could pursue and it's slim pickins out there.

One I came up with

Dudley is an experienced 3 and D guy as is Lee. Knicks want cap space to chase a star. Nets get someone to replace Allen Crabbe...yuck. They probably get a pick from us or NY or both, nothing crazy, a second or two.

Our lineup:
    Cp3/ Lee
    Harden/ Gordon
    Dudley/ Ennis
    Tucker/ Clark
    Capela/ Harenstein

Nothing huge but it should help balance us out.

[​IMG]

20. Audioout

Audioout Member

It doesn't hurt that Lee was a former loved Rocket and Dudley has always been a fan of the Rockets.