1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Regret drafting Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Joker, Jun 15, 2011.

?

Do you regret drafting Yao.

1. yes...

13.4%
  2. no....

86.6%
  1. The Joker

The Joker Member

Just got into a huge argument with my dad about this. Do you regret drafting Yao knowing everything you know now. My answer is simply no. The years he was healthy he gave us the best chance of winning and more then anything, it has been a pleasure watching him grow as a person.
    He is a good human being and feel it was a good thing he became a Rocket. All the charity work he does and just the all around good guy he is fits the Houston mold.

2. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

From a fans perspective.....yes....the bottom line is we didn't win anything, and his injuries basically set the franchise back.

From Les Alexanders perspective....no....a ton of money was made through the marketing of Yao and having all of those fans in China.

I do think they made the right choice at the time, but knowing what we know now, we obviously could have done better if we're looking at wins/losses/playoffs.

Pugs

3. Yoda

Yoda Member

Obviously, Amare was the right choice from a fans point of view with hindsight. He would have even fit in with Francis and the alley oops perfectly.

4. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Why regret if he has been a great center.Bother by injuries but a great player and person.If wasn't for the injuries he would have led us better in the playoff.

5. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

and draft Jay Williams? Yao was the better pick.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

3rd poll option - I never wanted to draft Yao.

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

who would have we drafted otherwise? Amare hasn't won anything either and has injury history. Sadly, I dont think we would be that much better off without drafting Yao. Unless we sucked balls and drafted Lebron or DWade later.

8. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I voted yes, but in reality he was the best player available. It was either him or Jay Williams.

What I regret is that we built around him and put all our hopes in him for so many years. I was never a fan and never understood why we were building around a player with so many limitations.

If he wasn't such a cash cow we probably would've traded him early and cashed in on his value. That's what really irks me. Les put business/profit before success. I know an owner like Cuban would never do something like that. (and this comes from someone who can't stand to look at Cuban's face :grin:)

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

1 Houston Yao Ming, C, Shanghai Sharks
    2 Chicago Jay Williams, G, Duke
    3 Golden State Mike Dunleavy, G/F, Duke
    4 Memphis Drew Gooden, F, Kansas
    5 Denver Nikoloz Tskitishvili, F, Italy
    6 Cleveland Dajuan Wagner, G, Memphis
    7 New York Maybyner "Nene" Hilario, F/C, Brazil
    (Rights traded to Denver)
    8 L.A. Clippers (from Atlanta) Chris Wilcox, F, Maryland
    9 Phoenix Amare Stoudemire, F, Cypress Creek HS (Fla.)
    10 Miami Caron Butler, F, Connecticut

I regret drafting Yao because of his injuries, but not because anyone drafted right after him is killin it, kinda like Oden vs Durant etc.

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

11. joesr

joesr Member

So its all on Yao at that time? I mean if were going this far with what we knew and all why not, not trade for tmac? Maybe did a trade for someone who would have played better in a slower tempo game?

and hows your arm Pugs?

12. aggie87

aggie87 Member

yes, I regret it, Amare>>>>>>Yao

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I know I'm going to be further labeled a Morey fanboy with this statement, but I really have no problem with drafting Yao or trading for T-Mac.

My only regret is that Dawson could not find any hidden gems the way Morey has done after our stars declined.

Imagine a lineup something like this.

Yao/Deke
    Scola/Hayes
    T-Mac/Battier
    KMart/Lee
    Lowry/Brooks

It doesn't even have to be as good as this. Just have HALF the above guys surrounding Yao and T-Mac in their primes(3-4 losses to Dallas and Utah) and the Rockets would've given us a memorable playoff run or two.

Yao + T-Mac was a poor-man's imitation of superfriends or the Boston's big 3. The difference wasn't our star players. Yao was at one point the best center in the NBA. And T-Mac at one point was a top-5 player. The difference was they had no help, and help arrived too late.

Star players may be awesome, but they still need support.

2 people like this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just curious...what was your dad's stance for not drafting him and would he have drafted Jay Williams or traded down?

15. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Looks like 30% of CFs know nothing about basketball, and would rather draft Jay Williams or Mike Dunleavy.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

:rolleyes:

That is all.

And for those whining about Amare - why not complain that we didn't get Boozer, or Prince? Heck, Caron Butler at the time was viewed as more likely to be #1 than Amare.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

imagine Amare, Cuttino, & Steve vs Lakers 04 playoffs
    or TMac & Amare vs Mavs 05 playoffs

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We haven't won, but he made us relevant again. His presence brought over Tracy, JVG, and Adelman. He kept the team flush and allowed Les to maintain a top 10 payroll for years.

It's possible we'd have success with an Amare-Steve-Cat corps, but I don't see that crew vying for championships either, especially since Amare's microfracture wiped out two years of PT.

If we're playing Captain Hindsight, McGrady should have been moved much sooner, that's about it.

19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i think your dad wins because it hasn't worked ... thus far.

it would be crazy to expect a healthy YM return at anywhere near his peak form. that crazy dream is still probably our most palpable chance to be special anytime soon.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I only regret picking him ahead of Amare.

He was the right choice, but that's just our s**t luck.