1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reggie Miller is not one of the 2011 Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Feb 18, 2011.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

miller led his team to the NBA finals.... something tmac never even got close to. :cool:

2. windz

windz Member

yep... because tmac's playoffs numbers r just terrible and its totally his fault that his teams couldn't get past the first round.

in an interview with bill simmons, morey said something like tmac was one of the 10 most gifted basketball players ever... and if kevin durant can _develope_ into a tmac, he will have a bright future... this is when durant was averaging close to 30 pts per game at the time.

i guess morey is full of sh it too.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bill Simmons always has to form some real life concept around his beliefs to validate them.

Mid 90s weakest stretch of talent? There are guys from '95 and back that are STILL PLAYING in the league !

4. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Watching all those Knicks series with the Pacers in the 90s, I hated/feared Reggie. But I respected the guy as a player. The guy was an absolute terror in the playoffs and the 4th. His overall stats are borderline, but his playoff stats were definitely HOF caliber. Take away his last 3 years when he was well past his prime and you've got a 23.5 ppg. Of all the people in that era, there were 2 people you would most want taking the last shot--Reggie and the GOAT. I personally am confused that he didn't get on the ballot this time, but as long as he gets it next year, I don't see this as a major problem. He's a surefire HOFer based on being among the best in the playoffs during his era.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Just because, I'd have to consider our own Calvin Murphy as one of the lesser deserving HOF'ers.

Murphy only ONE career All Star game, NO All NBA team selections. They didnt have a 3rd team then, only 1st & 2nd team. And he played in the same era with Pistol Pete but still...

6. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Wow i think reggie miller has to come back from retirement and beat ray allens 3point record then retire and get the hall of fame.

His known for his clutch plays as if he didnt get voted.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i've seen in his prime fortunately. one of the clutchest players of ALL TIME.

i saw all of his pacer-knick/pacer-bull games. so trust me, i know how good he was.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

my problem with simmons and the rest of the "miller doesn't deserve to be a hall of famer first ballot" crowd is they don't fully understand how lax the hall of fame really is.

Sure, if you're going to have the highest standards for a hall of fame Miller shouldn't be a first ballot. But the hall of fame isn't like that all, they don't exactly have stringent standards for the hall of fame.

A quick glance at the hall of famers list shows me Emil S. Liston, some dude who a close chum of Naismith and organized an 8 team college tournament in the 1950's. That was all he did, and he was in the hall of fame! LMAO, if you're gonna have stringent standards of excellence for the hall of famers you should get rid of guys like these in the list first. Not making Miller a first ballot and then including guys like these in the hall of fame shows a great deal of discrepancy in the standards to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. Roxs-Redemption

This is disgraceful...No love for Reggie Miller and Don Nelson...I dont even know what to say now... :confused: :(

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is it entirely. thank you.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Miller not being a finalist is as stupid as Jim Valvano being a finalist.

Kick John Chaney's sorry a** out while you're at it and put Guy V. Lewis in.

What a f***ing joke.

12. Buck Turgidson

1 fluke play + cancer = HOF; not to be glib or cruel, but take away either of those & he's not in the conversation.

And to those bemoaning Ralph Sampson's inclusion on the ballot, go back & look at his college career. He's easily one of the 10 best college players of all-time. Couple that with his pro career, which was very good to great until his knees gave out, and he's a no-brainer for the HOF. Same argument, but to a lesser extent, applies to Chris Mullin.

It's ridiculous that Miller isn't even included on the ballot, given the leniency of the basketball HOF relative to baseball & football.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree on the fact that hall let's anyone in, lets face it, including Calvin Murphy. I always find it funny that John Chaney is the whipping boy for Uofh when discussing Guy V.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Meh, I believe the HOF should be for the very elite players. Pippen was bolstered by Jordan's presence. Yes, he made it to the ECF without Jordan one year, but he also threw a temper tantrum in that same series, had the same GREAT team around him, same system, same coach...it's not a stretch to say that they were rolling. By the same token, why didn't the Bulls make it in 95 with Jordan back? I mean, if Pippen is this overwhelmingly awesome talent, then Jordan should have been the cherry on top and they should have beaten the Magic easily.

I don't think Pippen's not a good player, but HOF? I honestly don't believe it.

But, like I said in my original post in this thread, if Pippen can make it into the HOF, Miller should be there, too. I just don't think either should be there.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I think you mean Don Chaney, but the NBA Hall of Fame's credibility gets slam dunked into the toilet with this Reggie Miller snub.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No, we mean John Chaney.

The BBall HOF is a joke.

17. bloop

bloop Member

nah baller024 is right.

Reggie Miller was absolutely not a "superstar" in the league. The man played almost 20 years so he has a lot of points scored but he was basically a 16-22 ppg guy who didn't do much else.

He never won anything, he was never All-NBA first team anything. He made 5 all star games and started 1 in 1995.

He was a great scorer but "superstar" is absolutely not right. I'd argue that guys like Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway were more "stars" at their heights than Miller was. Certainly he wasn't a "superstar" in the vein of his contemporaries who were true superstars like Iverson or Vince Carter or immortals like Jordan, Isaiah or Dream. Aside from the numbers which will back me up, a "superstar" in the basketball crazy 90s doesn't have his own commercials or shoes? Even Hardaway had Lil Penny and Grant Hill got to play the piano on Letterman. It speaks to his imprint among fans and around the league as a superstar.

It's interesting to see how as the years go by which players get overrated and which players get underrated... in part among fans who probably never really saw the players play all that much if at all. It's actually quite shocking how guys like Barkley and Rodman who were truly forces of nature get undervalued because of them being jokes today.

Miller tends to be overrated because he had very dramatic moments which are on youtube which inflate his impact, plus the fact that he's on TV so he's front and center in people's minds. Looking at the numbers, even if you look at makes and misses in clutch moments Miller isn't a first eligible, first ballot HOF. He did score over 30s a couple of years in the playoffs (both when his team was eliminated in the 1st round) but he's not even in the top 30 for career ppg. He hit (and took) a TON of 3s so even if you figure that over time Reggie will eventually settle into the top 3-5 in career 3s, that's worth a HOF ballot eventually but not really enough for a first ballot, first eligible for a guy who never won anything, was never All-NBA first team anything or a top 10 player EVER in the league.

honestly I have a hard time that people who actually watched the Eastern Conference in the 90s (as opposed to those who just watch him on TV today, hear him being spoken highly of, and see youtube clips of him thrusting daggers on the Knicks) find this that bitter of a pill to swallow. he just wasn't that good. he could score spot up jumpers and backdoor to the rim, plus he hit (and missed) some big shots but to me like 3 good playoff performances plus being a good scorer isn't a shoe-in HOF first ballot

18. spysta

spysta Member

Its personal, name one other name that was as big as reggie miller that constantly gets snubbed and forgotten.

19. spysta

spysta Member

•Chris Mullin
    •Maurice Cheeks
    •Ralph Sampson
    •Jamaal Wilkes
    •Dennis Rodman
    •Herb Magee
    •Dick Motta
    •Tex Winter
    •Al Attles
    •Hank Nichols
    •Teresa Edwards
    •Tara VanDerveer

Oh my goodness so you guys are saying all these guys are HOFs over Reggie Miller, this is truly a sad day

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't mean to take a shot a you personally, I think Guy V should be there, but its a popularity contest, just like everyone remembers NC St won, they remember UofH lost unfortunately.