1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reggie Miller is not one of the 2011 Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

There are two ends to a basketball floor, and Dumars was a solid scorer himself. But we were talking about Reggie Miller. I agree with the notion that he is overhyped due to a few shots against the Knicks. Perhaps he deserves to be on the ballot, but he was no superstar and probably shouldn't make the Hall of Fame.

2. rju1986

rju1986 Member

This may be beside the point, but Reggie Miller sounds, straight-up, too cocky on t.v. Guy is straight up one of the most annoying broadcasters.. He may have scored a few buckets more than the regular player but he's not a top-priority HOF'er.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

But Joe Dumars was a superstar and deserved to make the HOF?

How about Gus Johnson? How about Drazen Petrovic?

There are guys in the HOF already who weren't superstars.

We're talking about guy who was 3rd Team all NBA 3x...and a 5 time all star...who took his team to the ECF and the NBA Finals without a tremendous supporting cast.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't consider Miller HOF material. But if Pippen can get in, why can't Miller? About the same skill level IMO.

I do think that Rodman should be in the HOF, though. The guy was a beast.

5. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

That's complete and utter bull****..... I was actually hoping he was going to be the speech giver of the group lol.....I wanted to see if he went all Jordon on us and called out Ron Artest for ruining the best chance he had in his entire career to win a ring.

6. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

i feel like the indiana fans will argue this....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yf4Cu09qhw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well yeah, he was slightly better than dumars (numbers wise) I wouldn't put dumars in the hall either, of course dumars has two rings and was very likable.

I actually think voters put dumars in the hall to spite zeke, basically saying it wasn't all you in the backcourt

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I would put him in..but he isnt a no-brainer by any means.....

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dumars gets extra consideration for his GM work, too, winning another title...six consecutive ECF Finals. Whether we agree or not that mgmt success should count, it does.

However, picking Darko over Wade, Melo and Bosh should offset his GM title...haha!

10. baller024

baller024 Member

??
    When has Reggie Miller EVER been a top 10 player AT ANY POINT throughout his career? He was NEVER a top 10 MVP candidate, he wasn't a perennial all-star, OR all-nba team member. Miller's team had depth and equal talent, his team without him WHEN hurt didn't seem to DO bad, they played relatively THE SAME kind of basketball. I mean what other evidence is there that you can back up?

And Shaq/Kobe Three Peat Lakers had to go through a more staked western conference than the eastern conference. The '01 Lakers are on of the greatest teams EVER with how seemingly easily they dominated 50+, 60+ teams throughout the entire playoff run going 15-1.

11. baller024

baller024 Member

Dumars is a Finals MVP, he was the played that was used to implement the Jordan rules, and a significant factor to TWO back-to-back championships, along with being a 6 time all-star (more than Reggie during his entire 18 year career), and a perennial member of the all-nba defensive team.

12. baller024

baller024 Member

?

Scottie Pippen is a significantly better player than Reggie Miller, probably on a tier above him. He can create for himself, create for others, play amazing defense, AND without Jordan he led the Bulls to a 55 win season almost making it to the finals, while getting 3rd in MVP voting during Olajuwon's MVP.

1 person likes this.
  13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Maybe the people voting have spent too much time watching him commentate. When I think Reggie Miller now, I think annoying. The guy is Justin Bieber annoying, not that personality should play into the voting process, but they are human.

The biggest feather in his cap for me is the fact that he stayed with the same team his whole career. That doesn't happen too often.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

vince carter transcended the game with his dunks. should he be in the HOF?

HOF - you were one of the greatest in your era. reggie was pretty damn good, but he wasn't great.

and it's not about stats either. he was never a top 10 player in his prime. i'm fine with him getting into the HOF, but not as a first ballot.

i think the criteria should be harder. at least that's my opinion.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i understand your point now. knowning them, reggie should be in.

but nevertheless, i hope this starts a new standard for the entrance into the HOF

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow, had to double check that.

Not only that, but Reggie Miller has only received 3 votes for MVP in his entire 18-yr career. Only two yrs did he ever receive a vote.

And keep in mind, normally 15-20 guys will receive at least 1 vote.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

So you think the "fame" part in Hall Of Fame should be taken literal?

18. MadMax

19. MadMax

it has meant that in the NBA.

look...bottom line is there are players already in the basketball hall of fame who've meant a lot less to the game than Reggie Miller has.

20. MadMax

1. i suppose we're defining superstar differently. i will tell you he was the best player and clearly the team leader of a team that made the ECF twice and the Finals once.

2. if you're asking me to judge eras, i feel that the era that the Lakers were winning those titles in the early 00's was less competitive in terms of total talent than what it was in the mid-90's. just my opinion.