1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Reggie Miller is not one of the 2011 Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Feb 18, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

so i'm sure you consider chauncey billups a shoo-in for first ballot HOF? and he's been clutch and does more than reggie.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's the Hall of FAME. Ask my wife who Chauncey Billups is and she'd probably say, "is that your broker?" Ask my wife who Reggie Miller is and she'd know in a heartbeat.

Reggie Miller's name transcended the game for a while....he was a household name for people who didn't care much for basketball....and not because he was a freak show, but because he brought it big time when it mattered most in some key spots on the national stage.

I'm looking on this ballot and seeing Mark Jackson's name. I don't care how many times Mark Jackson has been on the ballot, his name should NEVER EVER NEVER be included on a HOF ballot that doesn't include Reggie's...unless Reggie has already been voted in.

Stat guys might not like Reggie...but the man had tremendous impact on the game when he played at his prime. He was the best player on a team that sustained excellence for quite a while.

1 person likes this.
  3. MadMax

and it's why i don't understand leaving off miller's name. because they've been super lenient, particularly compared to Canton and Cooperstown. to not have reggie on a ballot even...when they've let in so many before...is ridiculous to me.

4. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

he isnt a HOF player he was just a showtime playoff player

5. Damion Laverne

It boggles the mind how Miller could not get past the likes of Mullin and Jackson. The HOF must be lenient AND stupid.

6. MadMax

are you looking at the other players on the ballot?

i'm not saying he's a first ballot guy....but i'm saying his name should damn sure be on the ballot.

7. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Ahh man you beat me to it.

[​IMG]

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I could understand if he was a nominee but didn't get voted in the first time, but not even to be on the ballot?!?

He doesn't have the stats and the MVP/all-star accolades that most first-ballot guys do, but he is right there with Kobe and MJ if you ask opponents who they feared getting the ball in the 4th quarter.

He also carried them to two conference finals and one NBA finals with no other guy remotely close to being an all-star. Rik Smits, Derrick Mckey, and Jalen Rose were the best players he ever played with for ****'s sake ... at least during his prime. Later in his career he had a very good Jermaine O'neal and Ron Artest, but that was well past his prime.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Point is the HOF was not tough before this so why is Reggie not even a finalist?

There better not be anymore questionable selections.

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Reggie Miller WAS an impact player. Those people looking at stats did not watch him play. He opened thing up for Indiana just by parking his ass at the 3 point line and popping out of screens. In the 90's there was NO other player (besides Jordan) you feared most to hit a 3 in the fourth quarter. A smart player with limitations, but he know how to maximize his talent and brought it when his team needed him most. He belongs on the ballot.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if it wasn't for his flare for the dramatic, this wouldn't even be a discussion, he was an avg sg

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

If Miller never made the playoffs you would have a point with this comparison.

13. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

I watched entire career and was not a hall of famer. He has gotten crazy hype because he went against New York in the playoffs and coming from UCLA when that history meant something. So the NY media has made him big so they won't have to admit the Knicks were mediocre.

He was a great shooter not a great player. Horrible defensively and not dominant offensively. He was the hyped up version of Joe Johnson with better teammates.

14. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

That's why I acknowledged Miller's better playoff numbers and made it a point to say that they were season statistics.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Him and Artis Gilmore. Until they are both in, the HoF is meaningless in my book.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with those who say debates about the sanctity of first-ballot reserved for only the rarefied air HOFs is silly.

As a voter, if you think he's a HOF, use a vote on him. The only reason I would not use a vote first year on anyone I knew should be in the HOF, is if I am short on votes and have a backlog of people I need to vote for.

17. MadMax

Joe Dumars is in the HOF. Now I loved me some Dumars...one of my favorite players ever. But I can't say that Joe Dumars deserves to be in the HOF, but Reggie Miller doesn't. I never Joe Dumars take a game over..particularly none of the magnitude that Reggie did.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol what type of comparison is that. Joe Johnson and Reggie Millers game is nothing alike.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He was not elite, but he was far from average. 4th quarter and playoff performance can make up for a lot of otherwise average stats. I also maintained throughout his career that he was an above average defender (he often gets accused of being non-existent on defense).

18 seasons, 5 all-star teams, 39% from three and #2 all time in 3PM. In what world is that average?

If he'd have had another star to play alongside him, I don't think this would be a debate. I'm betting that Ray Allen will get in first ballot, and what's the difference between Ray and Reggie? Ray joined KG and Pierce and got a ring.

Bottom line is he should be a nominee at minimum.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member