1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reggie Miller Considering a Comeback?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 8, 2007.

1. RedRaiderRocket

I have always been a Reggie Miller fan, and wouldn't mind it chasing with the Boston Celtics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 13th in scoring (25,279) and holds the NBA record for most made the most 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think Pippen and possbily Barkley is availiable too. Dont forget Kevin Wills, and Dennis Rodman is a hole for any NBA team even mentions his name.

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Talk about knowing how to sell tickets.

You already have the big ticket with the big three...now you sign (possibly) reggie miller and you have yet another reason for fans (at home and on the road) to go to celtic games.

4. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Well he isn't that great next to Charles and Kenny, so if it gets him out for a bit (plus extra jokes during halftime and after the game at Reggie's expense) then I'm all for it.

5. deepblue

deepblue Member

The Celtics were drawing very well last year even when the team sucked. I am sure they don't need Reggie to sell more tickets.

6. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

If it's for 10-15 minutes, it would actually make some sense. Reggie Miller's game consists a lot on shooting and flopping, which shouldn't be a big problem to do at an advanced playing age. They're basically looking for some player similar to Ray Allen's role when Ray's taking a breather. It makes sense.

Plus, seeing Reggie in a Celtics uniform would rock :)

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

If his role consists of knocking down open 3's off the bench for a few minutes every game, I don't see why not. You could do worse.

8. tomato

tomato Member

Does anyone have footage of the end of Reggie's last game, when he's saying goodbye and walking to the locker room? I remember being a bit moved when I saw it

9. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Don't forget about Oakley!

I don't know if Reggie could be effective at 42. He might be good as a spot up shooter to feed off all the open looks KG, Pearce, and Allen will create but I do not see him being able to run around and come off screens and do all the things he used (not for 82 games, let alone the entire playoffs). You can't blame him though, I would too if I were in his choose.

10. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I thought he said he stayed in Indy because he "didn't want to coattail ride like some other guys do"when he was blasting Karl Malone and GP for joining the Lakers.

Come on Reggie, what's up with that.

11. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

So he's going to come off the bench and chuck up threes. Isn't that what they signed Eddie House for?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Have they callled Olajuwon?

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Reggie is my all-time favorite player thats not a Rocket. I would love to see him comeback because the guy can still shoot lights out.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I hope they do so I won't have to hear him try to say "uncharted waters" every 2 sentences on TNT.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hakeem already won his rings and didnt have to ride someone else's jock to do so

16. Sextuple Double

Patrick Ewing is also coming back to be the Celtics starting center while Tim Hardaway is gonna provide veteran leadership at PG :rolleyes:

On a side note, Rockets are looking at Derrick Coleman to bring toughness needed in the front court. :p

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I heard from credible sources that if they can't convince Reggie Miller and Charles Oakley to come back, the Celtics will next ask Danny Ainge and Kevin McHale to come back and play 8-10 minutes a game.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He's the cool cat, who read all that.

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think this would actually be neat to see. If the Rockets can't win the title, I wouldn't mind seeing the Celtics win it (although with all their past titles, they really don't need another for a looooooong time).

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Every book from front to back...

haha, I miss the 90's NBA.

If Reggie is coming back to actually play and contribute, then sure, but if he's doing it to hand out towels Kevin Willis-style and win a title, then I really hope he fails.