1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refuse a breathalyzer this weekend and you'll be giving blood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggadi, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jiggadi

jiggadi Member

I'm not for driving while intoxicated, but if these mofo's try to strap me down to take my blood I'm going to file a lawsuit. We are coughing up our rights in the name of protection...Why don't they require the arresting officer to give some of thier blood too.

Refuse a breathalyzer this weekend and you'll be giving blood

11:55 AM CDT on Thursday, July 3, 2008

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON -- If you're planning on doing any drinking this weekend, you better not get behind the wheel.

Police departments in the Houston area are cracking down this Fourth of July weekend, and warrants will await anyone refusing a breathalyzer test.

They're calling it a "no-refusal weekend" in Harris, Galveston and Brazoria counties.

The warrant will allow officers to take a blood test instead.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Why not just have a warrant to take a breathalyzer?

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Member

For all you Austinites, this is also going on. Especially in WilCo, and especially if you have prior DWIs... PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

http://news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=213225&SecID=2

It's a 'no refusal' weekend for repeat drunk drivers

7/1/2008 12:34 PM
    By: News 8 Austin Staff

For repeat drunk drivers in Williamson County it'll be a no refusal weekend.

That's because the Williamson County district attorney's office said officers will seek out a search warrant for a blood sample for anyone with two DWI convictions on their record.

Judges will be on-call, even overnight, to consider and approve search warrants.

In Texas, more than half the drivers arrested for DWI refuse to take a breathalyzer test.

That refusal goes up to 60 percent for people with at least two prior convictions.

One third of the DWI convictions in Texas ultimately become a felony crime punishable by 2-10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The first two DWI convictions are misdemeanors. Prosecutors across the state are promoting 'no refusal' weekends.

4. aeroman10

aeroman10 Member

Why would someone refuse a breathalyzer if they are not drunk.
    Do it..prove it you are not drunk and go...otherwise you deserve to get your blood taken and arrested for being an a$$

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Amen.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I dunno. Warren Moon got screwed over in Seattle. He had alcohol in his system but it wasn't an illegal amount (thats what happened right?) and he still got taken in. Legally you should be able to drink a beer and jump right into your car if you want to.

7. no_answer

no_answer Member

Good.

Guys who drink in drive piss me off. :mad:

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

As long as they are legally getting a warrant I don't have a problem with this. When I first read this I saw it as "Someone declared new laws" and was unhappy.

I don't drink so this isn't applicable to me.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

If I hadn't been drinking at all, I wouldn't refuse a breathalyzer. But if I had, even if it wasn't much and it had been long enough that it should be out of the system, I would never agree to a breathalyzer. My job is working with instrumentation, and I know how buggy things like that can be. I would never trust my legal record to a potentially very fallible machine.

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Member

Request a blood test instead then...its more accurate :p

11. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

So wtf happens? Do they do the blood test then and there? how can they force you to give blood? The lawyer would prolly tell u to refuse everything

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think they take you in, lock you up, and get a warrant. They then do a blood test. Apparently they are going to have judges on standby all weekend to be writing out warrants for this.

As for the OP saying he is going to file a lawsuit...good luck. If there is a signed warrant you won't have much footing in court.

13. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

ya but how they gonna prove that u were drunk?

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Umm, I'm guesing from the blood they draw? Duh.

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Drunk and "above the stupidly low legal limit" are not even remotely the same.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

To assert my rights as a citizen against unlawful search. If I'd refuse it when I was drunk, then I'm certainly going to refuse when I'm not.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

I understand this position on a purely philosophical level, however, this weekend, that position will land you in jail waiting on a warrant to draw your blood.

I'm a pragmatic liberal. If I'm not drunk, I'm taking the breathalyzer this weekend.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

If I'm not in jail, I'll be going insane vainly trying to get my stubborn children to go to bed like they're supposed to. So, I think I'm going to be a hard-ass this weekend. :D

...not that any cop will have cause to pull me over.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

damn cops are everywhere out there. it's a war zone out there. people getting pulled over left and right. people driving like crap. cops with cars pulled over just make it worse...cause everyone has to rubberneck and see the cop write his ticket. i was getting pissed just driving around today. dammit! :mad:

20. Cesar^Geronimo

I don't understand the outrage -- unless your planning on drinking and driving.

I would take it a step further and say that refusing to take a breathalyzer is admission of guilt.