1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard is the Rockets’ Franchise Player™

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 26, 2024.

?

Do you like the selection of Reed Sheppard?

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2024 at 7:23 PM.
  1. YES

91.9%
  2. NO

8.1%
  1. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Nash is up there with Kyrie all time. Not as fancy but amazing. I'd be happy if Shep gets half that good.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

The few times I see him get to the basket in highlights, his finishing looks pretty decent. His 2pt FG% is also high enough to suggest there's no issues in this regards. And his ability to pull up from mid-range means defenders won't be able to drop back as far as they could with some other players. I think if he has the handles to run pick and rolls well on the perimeter, the rest of his skillsets is good enough for him to be a star. Obviously I'm not expecting 2x MVP level play, but he might turn out to be who we were all expecting Jalen to be.

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  3. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

If Shep were able to develop an avg PG handle, there are some interesting comps. If he never gets to that level, looking at the top 100 all-time 3s made list, there's only one comp for an offensive upside that fits: Ray Allen.

Ya'll need to give up on whitey comps. There's nobody who's close. I mean not within a thousand miles close. Talking about him developing a Nash/Price level dribbling and passing is like saying, hey if Amen can ever become a KD-level shooter then... Then magic exists and Amen has access to it.

Eh, that's too far. Shef isn't terrible ball handler. But you get my point.

NewAge likes this.
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member

I don't watch much college, but why is nobody bringing up Hornacek when making analogies of a worse dribbling and passing Nash or Price?

topfive and daywalker02 like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He can pass. Not fancy stuff but the right pass even to teammate that's difficult to see on the floor.

I think the closest comp in term of style (not saying he will be there) is John Stockton. NOT BEAUSE HE IS WHITE! Stockton didn't do fancy dribbling or jaw dropping passes. He just saw the floor very well and understood angles and he seldom made mistakes. He could also shoot anywhere on the floor with high efficiency. If he played in today's era, he would likely have shot more 3s. He was also a smart defender (dirty tricks notwithstanding) with quick hands and anticipation for stealing.

Stockton had elite assist/TO ratio. Sheppard's assist/TO in college is also great.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sheppard has a great mindset. He talks like a dorky journeyman who is lucky to make it in the league but he played like a killer in college. This is going to be its own kind of trash talk.

I also learned he's actually FROM Kentucky, which is awesome because my sister in law is from there too. I've never been but I recognize that same non-softness, family orientation and joy for hard work - perhaps it's a Kentucky culture thing. When we say we want someone who is self-motivated, this is what it looks like. A combination of the right ecosystem of people around them, accountability and a strong desire to succeed.

It's not going to be difficult at all to develop this guy. I really hope it doesn't take long to develop him as a full-time PG and put on some muscle, it would be great if he pans out in a way that makes it easy for us to let go of FVV.

#746 Mathloom, Jul 3, 2024 at 12:27 AM
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 4:49 AM
    clos4life likes this.
  7. bustamove

bustamove Member

8. dischead

dischead Member

Stop comparing him to only former white players, you racists.

9. bustamove

bustamove Member

they comparing him to 6'2 players who are not really athletic and cannot reallly go 1 on 1 but can shoot the 3 ball efficiently and play more team ball

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, only a white player could have a 42 inch vertical and be called "not athletic"

11. bustamove

bustamove Member

You fortgot "really"

Okay so who woild u compare him.to?

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's equal or physically superior to FVV in basically every respect, and a substantially more explosive leaper.

FVV also doesn't elite blow by handles, he's smart with the ball and uses his screens well. I could also compare him to a lot of other great PG's, but people have made up their minds he has no playmaking skills whatsoever (despite being 4th in the SEC as a true freshman), so I'm not gonna waste my breath on that.

YaoMac09, CircaSurvive, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  13. bustamove

bustamove Member

most here including me actually think Reed's ceiling is stockton and nash both great PGs

I replied to someone who said why compare him to ONLY white players

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think his efficiency with the ball, hard nosed demeanor, play style and some skills are similar, but stockton was not a 3pt shooter or good defender (even kenny used to light him up). and nash was a passing maestro coming out of college. maybe a taller bouncier mike bibby is more apt?

bustamove likes this.
  15. RB713

RB713 Member

Reed plays like Rodrick Rhodes.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sheppard is more comparable to Mike Conley with a much better 3 pt shot.
    Same type of athlete and good fundamentals

YaoMac09, leebigez, Spooner and 5 others like this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Sheppard, Amen, Smith, and Sengun is such a clean fit. Can't wait for the season.

18. MystikArkitect

FVV is an All-Star. What if you took him, made him taller, a better shooter, a better defender and a better transition player? What would that look like? Not saying Reed will be this....but there is a very real possibility that's the outcome.

douglasreedy1 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

FVV is very strong and stocky, so no not physically superior in every respect. If Sheppard can become as good a defender as FVV I will be very excited. I believe eventually Amen will be pg on offense and Sheppard pg on defense

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it'll even be that rigid, there will be plenty of possessions where Sheppard will probably run the point on both ends of the court with Amen in the dunker spot.

Sheppard will likely always be the PG on defense, but his ability on and off ball will allow for a lot of different looks on offense.