1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redskins' rookie Niles Paul fined $20,000 for hit on punt return

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ToyCen428, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/05/redskins-niles-paul-fined-20000/

Redskins rookie receiver and punt team gunner Niles Paul has been fined $20,000 for laying a hit on Rams punt returner Austin Pettis on Sunday.

“I was just informed that I’m being fined 20k for that hit,” Paul wrote on Twitter. “Horrible way to start off my bye week!”

Paul delivered a very hard hit on Pettis, but Paul argued that he didn’t do anything wrong because Pettis didn’t call for a fair catch, and Paul said he timed his arrival perfectly to hit Pettis just as — and not before — the ball arrived.

“Its not like I tried to hit the guy in his helmet, I thought I used my shoulder & hit him in the chest,” Paul wrote.

But the NFL disagreed. And now Paul, a fifth-round pick out of Nebraska, will be $20,000 poorer.

------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to tell you, this makes me mad. Anyone who watched the game (not many since the game was only shown in VA/DC and St. Louis areas), SCREAMED at the Rams punt returners for not knowing WTF they are doing.

The first 3 punts by the Redskins resulted in the Rams PR's not calling for a fair catch, and getting hit like a freight train right as they caught the ball. All 3 hits were huge, none bigger then the one by Niles Paul but the Fair Catch rule is in place to protect the PR's.

How much can he possibly make this year as a 5th round pick? $20,000 might be chump change to Dunta Robinson but it's a huge hit to a 5th round rookie.

by the way, the 4th time the Skins punted it, and St. Louis' PR called for a Fair Catch, he received a round of applause and a standing ovation... too funny.

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I9kh1YM2JX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cheap shot. Gunner has all time in world to make sure he levels guy without going to helmet. May be steep for how much he's making, but a fine is needed. Fines should be percentage of salary based.

4. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I agree to an extent.

But like the situation a few weeks ago with Dunta Robinson hitting the Eagles WR's helmet to helmet, they had nothing to protect them... it was a poor choice by Dunta that resulted in the danger of the hit. In this situation, a fair catch would've protected the returner, and it would've protected the fumble of the football.

I believe $20,000 fine is earned if the PR was defenseless, but he waived his protection of a fair catch. Maybe next time he won't.

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

That's what you get for not calling a fair catch

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I think helmet to helmet is called too often - like if a receiver starts bending down I don't see how it's the defenders fault that the offensive players helmet is in a atypical spot.

But this is clearly not that. The announcers said it perfectly - exactly the type of hit he rule was made for.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Dude put the crown of his helmet right into the receivers' facemask. Absolutely justified punishment.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Why is there a thread dedicated to this? These types of fines happen every week.

9. codell

codell Member

Because the OP likes to start a thread for every thought that pops into his head?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good hit IMO. I like it. They don't call fair catch? That's a personal challenge in my head. MAKE them call a fair catch the next time. Ha. What did you want him to do kiss the guy on the forehead?

11. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rwl7NKRvyL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FOUND IT..... 3 friggin times... learn ur lesson dude

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Video showed 2 times.

13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Not sure if serious. So if the guy had ended up injuring his spine it would be ok because he didnt call for a fair catch? That's the exact kind of hit that can end a players career.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Rookie mistake.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

not sure if it's worth a fine, but certainly a penalty. It looked like he tried to get the shoulder in there but he failed to do so

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I agree that should be a penalty and a fine, but maybe I would do a 5k-10k fine.

He had enough time to aim for the chest, and he could tackle with his shoulder to the chest, and that way, the defensive could still have the fumble.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Looked like a good hit to me. You can see he turns his head and body to lead with the shoulder. He was too close to the punt returner to lower his body and go for returners body. Paul's twirling body after the glancing blow is more evidence that he was turning to lead with the shoulder. It was an incidental helmet-to-helmet because of the punt returner's squat and Paul's momentum, which I never agree is a true helmet-to-helmet hit.

To me, he timed it just right. Punt returner needs to call a fair catch.

18. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I agree it was a dangerous hit, but what about the first hit? I know it wasnt a fine, but it was a penalty... its an disadvantage to the defense (tacklers) if the PR catches it, doesnt call fair catch, and the defenders have to wait until he puts hit head down and count to 2 before they can tackle him.....

What are they suppose to do in that situation, I dont understand

19. Two Sandwiches

The NFL is suffering from poor tackling. It's sad, but nobody form tackles anymore. Everyone tries to go for a big hit to jar the ball loose. It's high risk/high reward/ high fine.

I think helmet to helmet is highly subjective, but some instances are blatant. This, is a blatant situation. The NFL is a privilege to play in. You make a lot of money to play a game. 20K is not too bad, considering it is likely maybe 1/20th of the guy's salary. If I made an error as bad as that at my job, I would probably be fired. Some situations (i.e. the receivers duck as they get hit) are unavoidable, need to be defined by the league, and need to be reviewed.

On the other hand, I am sick of the defenseless receiver crap. The NFL is a collision sport. People are going to get hurt. Players go into this league knowing that they can end up hurt or disabled after (or before) their careers are over. It is ridiculous to protect quarterbacks and receivers in some of the ways the NFL has. Some of the defenseless receiver calls I've seen this year have been outlandish. I remember two in Texans games, and one in a 49ers game that I saw this year, that had at least a moderate effect on the game.

I've been meaning to start a thread on this. The NFL has almost become boring, in a way. There are way too many rules to protect offenses, and offenses are putting up prolific numbers. This has all been done, in my opinion, to appease and interest casual fans. When you're making billions upon billions of dollars in revenue, you should quit looking for mass appeal, and stay true to yourself.

What makes the NFL so appealing, is that it encompasses a lot of basic human emotions. It's a game of strategy that can be won by brute force and violence (which is becoming less and less allowable by the league), or by sheer genius and finesse. The days of tough, intimidating NFL defenses have seemingly died with Roger Goodell, and that is a shame.

(Sorry to go off on a tangent)