1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redskins pick Jay Gruden

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by sugrlndkid, Jan 9, 2014.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They better hope his player relationship skills are superior to his father's.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, I really think he's gonna suck at that job.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Those 3 first round losses with all the talent they have on offense and that defense being for real? must have been a hell of a resume.

4. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hZwAUtl2okA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Question fellas about Wade Phillips... lots of Skin fans want Phillips as DC but from what I hear from you Houston fans is that you want Wade out of there ASAP.... Why is he not a good fit in Houston? Does his system suck? Bad judgement on the skills his personnel possess?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wade is already gone.

And reports state that Gruden is going to retain Jim Haslett. (Reports also say that Raheem Morris could be DC.)

7. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Wade is gone? Where? I also heard the reports about Haslett/Morris but I pray to God thats just rumors and speculation.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wade is gone, as in the Texans already fired him. (Ha, sorry for the confusion.)

Wade wouldn't be the worst hire in the world.

9. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

He turned a top 5 NFL defense into one of the worst in just 1 year. There's gotta be 25 other DCs who could do a better job.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, but he also made the terrible defense relevant again in 1 year. (before the follow up drop off years).

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Wade will at least give you 1 year of solid defense before the inevitable drop off.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

If he talks like that to RGIII going to be problems, big problems.

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Robert Griffin Junior falls in a faint

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Redskins will regret this decision before too long. Buddy hire by Bruce Allen.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Did Jim Gruden have problems with players?

17. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

my main concern here is Jim Haslett as defensive coordinator. Jim has never had a good defense. With actual money to spend this year in FA maybe we can land a couple decent signings. The fact that London Fletcher is retiring helps us out too. We need to bring back Deangelo Hall, resign Brian Orakpo, pick up someone like TJ Ward for a safety, maybe Linvall Joseph (NT, NYG) or Paul Soliai (NT, MIA) and the defense will be alot better. Oh, and maybe getting a kicker who can kick touchbacks to not start 85% of opposing offensive drives at the 40 yard line.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My bad. Brother.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

as a bengals fan i'm not too upset about him leaving. my question is what could he have said/did to wow WSH into picking him?

yeah 3 straight years in the playoffs..but all first rd exits with all those weapons. if dan snyder is half way awake he knows it wasn't the defenses fault.

outside of the that, handful of years with tampa and a head coach in the CFL for a couple years. he must be one hell of a sales man.

curious how he'll work with RG3. supposedly gruden was the one who wanted dalton, apparently so much so convincing mike brown to take him over kaepernick. thats not to say mike brown knew/knows anything.