1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redskins Acquire "Twinkle-Toes" Jason Taylor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by giddyup, Jul 21, 2008.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Pretty steep price for a one-year (?) rental; I bet he comes back for more though....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5898417.html

Redskins add Taylor to defense
    Dolphins trade 6-time Pro Bowler for two draft picks

Chronicle News Services

ASHBURN, VA. — Jason Taylor wanted out of Miami, and Bill Parcells seemed only too happy to trade the Dancing with the Stars defensive end.

So when the Washington Redskins lost a starting lineman to a season-ending injury Sunday, a significant swap was made.

The Redskins gave the Dolphins a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-round choice in 2010 for Taylor, 33.

The six-time Pro Bowl defensive end — who was the 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year — fell out of favor in Miami after spending his offseason on a TV show rather than working out with teammates.

The deal came about nine hours after starting defensive end Phillip Daniels was carted away from the practice field at Redskins Park with a season-ending left knee injury on the opening day of training camp.

It also came only about 1½ hours after Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato told reporters: "We haven't talked to anybody about anything.''

When he later announced the deal with the Dolphins, Cerrato said Taylor was expected to report to the Redskins on Monday, when he'll meet team owner Dan Snyder and undergo a physical.

"We're fortunate there was a guy that caliber on the market when somebody got hurt,'' Cerrato said.

"Normally, in most years, there's not a guy of that caliber on the market.''

The 33-year-old Taylor has played 11 NFL seasons, all with Miami, and he's started every game each of the past eight years.

"I love Miami (and) will always cherish my 11 years with the Dolphins,'' Taylor said in a statement.

"Having said that, I'm looking forward to meeting with Mr. Snyder and getting to know my new coaches and teammates. I'm just proud to be representing our nation's capital as a Redskin.''

Taylor had 11 sacks during the 2007 season, giving him 117 over his career.

"His play speaks for itself. I think it's easy to talk about Jason Taylor. He's got statistics and everything else to back up everything that he's done,'' Cerrato said. "So we had to act after losing our starting defensive end Phillip Daniels, and talked to Parcells after practice today and we were able to work something out.''

Taylor said last month that his intention is to play one more season, and it seems clear that he wants to pursue a Hollywood acting career. That said, Taylor privately has told confidants that he isn't certain that he'll retire after 2008.

Cerrato noted Taylor has two years left on his contract and added: "I'm 100 percent positive he'll play longer than one year.''

Taylor's agent, Gary Wichard, said it's possible Taylor will play beyond the coming season.

"The Dolphins got real good value for Jason,'' Wichard said. "And he's excited about going to Washington - he wanted an opportunity to compete in the playoffs in 2008. At the same time, this is the end of his years with the Dolphins, so it's kind of bittersweet.''

The new Dolphins regime led by Parcells, the executive vice president of football operations, fumed this offseason as Taylor focused on non-football interests rather than working out in South Florida.

Taylor finished second to Kristi Yamaguchi in this year's "Dancing With the Stars'' competition in Los Angeles, and as he became a TV celebrity, his feud with Parcells escalated. At one point Taylor said he was unhappy he had spoken "probably less than a minute each'' with Parcells and new general manager Jeff Ireland - something the player perceived as a sort of silent treatment.

In mid-May, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano made a cryptic announcement that Taylor wasn't expected to take part in any team activities through training camp. That signaled the Dolphins were intent on making a trade - especially because in April, they had drafted two potential replacements for him: Clemson's Phillip Merling in the second round, and Hampton's Kendall Langford in the third round.

The Dolphins released statements from Ireland and owner Wayne Huizenga thanking Taylor for his contributions. There was no comment from Parcells.

"Ever since he joined the team as a rookie, he has been outstanding on the field and a leader in our community,'' Huizenga said. "Whether it was his intensity between the lines or his commitment to his charitable works, he made a lasting impact here.''

If the trade had not been made, Wichard said, Taylor planned to report to the Dolphins before their camp starts Saturday. There had been speculation Taylor might hold out.

Last season, he was chosen NFL Man of the Year and was the lone Pro Bowl player for a Dolphins team that went 1-15. His departure is the latest move in a major roster shakeup.

Zach Thomas, the other anchor of the Dolphins' defense over the past decade, was released in February and signed with the Dallas Cowboys - meaning he and Taylor, who are brothers-in-law, go from being teammates to being members of NFC East rivals.

In Miami, Taylor played primarily at right end, but Cerrato said Washington will move him to the left side, where Daniels was the starter. Andre Carter plays right defensive end for the Redskins.

Wichard said he first became aware the deal might happen Sunday morning.

"When we heard Daniels went down, that started it on a fast track,'' Wichard said.

Daniels tore a left knee ligament on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.

"Not a good way to start, at all,'' middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys.''

Daniels has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle, accumulating 59 sacks.

The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles' tendon.

"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there,'' Washington's Jim Zorn said after running his first training camp practices as an NFL head coach. "And Phillip has created a big hole.''

One quickly filled with the trade for Taylor.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great deal for the Redskins...sux for our division...

3. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

Edit: I didn't know you were a Cowboy fan...so I know which division you are talking about now. :eek:

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Did they really have a choice with the injury issues?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I still remember chester pitts handling him in the first game of the 03 season for the texans. best probably ever of pitts's career

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

"I hate draft picks"

Dan Snyder

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

a 2nd a 6th isn't that bad for a guy like Taylor. If we could sign him long term, I'd have wanted the Texans to make that deal.

8. giddyup

Well, yes, there are other DEs around but I know the Redskins are close and Snyder is no spend-thrift so there you go..... I hope he'll get fired up and stay a Redskin for 3 years or so. Gotta suppress those Cowboys! :D

9. Lil Pun

Long term? The man turns 34 this year.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I meant beyond this year. If you get 3 years out of him, he's worth that price.

11. giddyup

All spring he talked about just playing one more year. I haven't heard a reversal on that position from him, have you?

12. Lil Pun

No I have not heard anything about playing multiple years. That along with his age discourages any long-term contract talk though.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Parcells really didn't like Taylor I guess because he seems worth more than that trade even if he is 33.

14. giddyup

... and that's why a 2 and a 6 for him seems expensive. The only worse deal I can think of is our own Charles Barkley acquisition. :D

15. Lil Pun

I agree that the deal was too expensive but I don't think the Redskins had a choice. They're coming off only their 3rd playoff appearance in the last 15 years, a new coach, etc. There was nobody with the talent level in FA that matched taylor's and we all know Snyder overpays for everything. LOL! :D

16. Lil Pun

Looks like Shockey got shipped to the Saints.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Holy Crap...I guess it was coming, but for a 2nd and 5th? I'd be all over that...All I remember from Shockey was that shot at the superbowl of him drinking with his friends...Why wasn't he on the field? anywho, the Saints just really improved...

18. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

Hail to the Redskins. This move turns the line from dreadful to decent.

Finally, they can bring a four man pass rush to get to the QB :)

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hey, it also opens up the spot in the Pro Bowl that should have gone to Super Mario. Taylor was getting it on reputation...