1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RedNationHoops] Rockets Defense Is A Collective Issue, Not Individual

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 23, 2016.

1. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

by your logic, Whiteside is the best defender in this league. Harden avg 1.8 steals? wow, must be a legit good defensive force.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

good way to avoid answering the question. this response has nothing to do with what was being asked LOL

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is why it is a collective issue, and not individual. Collective as in the players and the coaches. Plenty of blame to go around.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

since you brought up logic, you should look up "straw man"

5. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

How about Dwight showing an ounce of effort on D? How about actually contesting the shots and not making dumb inbounds play defensive mistakes, esp during clutch time?

6. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Dwight is the cancer of this team, and you know it

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you're becoming a cancer on this board

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Question: Can you explain how a player got 6 blocks

HtownRock: by your logic, Whiteside is the best defender in this league. Harden avg 1.8 steals? wow, must be a legit good defensive force.

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

There's a new DD in town

11. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

wow he blocked 6 shots in a single game = must mean he played his ass off on D all season long. ofc, a single game represents the whole season.

[​IMG]

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I am forced to disagree with your contention that the coaching staff is a huge issue. By definition, if you have a team composed of bad defensive players, then no amount of coaching can compensate for that deficiency. What you have here is a collection of mismatched offensive minded players. This is by design as it has been the modus operandi of the GM ever since he's been here - he's constantly moving players in and out based on his belief in sports analytics. While it has gradually improved the aggregate quality of players on the roster it has also fostered a sort of discontinuity in the stability of the program. The problem is further exacerbated by the lack of leadership this approach has produced on the court and in the locker room. Simply put, your two "foundation" players do not possess the qualities necessary to lead a team to a title - it's simply not in their makeup. You are seeing the end result as this team that was put together based stats and reputations has been adrift all season without any means of righting itself.

#52 HillBoy, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks like it.

response still doesn't address the question puahah

14. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

YOLO logic : Harden had 8 steals last game. Why are people keep saying Harden doesn't play D this season? lol

[​IMG]

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Member

This team is mostly the same from last year. And last year they were way better as far as def efficiency. The personnel can play defense, they just choose not to.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

amazing your ability to read and decipher just keeps you looking more foolish after every post. easy pickens here LOL

17. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Dwight is the cancer of this team, and you know it

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

My point completely went over your head. You keep spouting off that Dwight plays lazy defense and doesn't contest shots anymore. He had 6 blocks last night. That means he contested shots at least 6 times vs the Jazz, completely contradicting the statement you repeat over and over in every thread.

You also have no clue what my logic is. Do you see me saying "look at Harden's steals guys, he's a great defender?" No. A guy that ball watches and sags off his man as much as Harden does will get steals by the nature in which he "defends." That same style makes him a liability when it comes to team defense. No different than Whiteside's reputation for chasing blocks. Now, the narrative on players can change over time, as Whiteside has become a better team defender in recent months, just like Harden played passable team defense last year. If Dwight was stat padding at the expense of the team, I'd call him on it.

For the record, I've also criticized Beverley for leaving Roberson vs OKC, and Ariza's breakdown on the Favors dunk last night. You, however, are shouting to the mountains that Dwight Howard is the problem, and only Howard.

Here's what I think about Howard: I think its pathetic that he has done little to improve the weaknesses in his game over his career (poor FT shooting, shooting in general, reducing his turnover rate, his low post game). I think he should be more involved offensively than he currently is, but he shouldn't let his amount of shots taken per game affect his attitude and his defense. I think his body is breaking down, and he can't do the things defensively the Rockets asked of him in the past. He's not worth 22 million dollars, but he can be a useful role player as a starting center on a championship team if he would accept such a role.

Conversely, here's what I think about Harden. I think he's a gifted scorer, with above average vision, above average passing skill, above average handles, and he has the athletic gifts to be a solid NBA defender. But too often he gives lazy effort, and he also commits way too many careless turnovers. I also question whether he has the drive to truly be great. Great players don't no show in game 3 of the WCF when their teams are down 2-0. Great players don't respond to losing the MVP award the year prior by coming in out of shape and regressing defensively. Great players don't appear disinterested in game 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Austin Rivers led Clippers, days after watching Stephen Curry get an MVP award that you thought was rightfully yours. I also don't buy into the excuse that he simply needs time to mature. 26 year olds that have played 7-8 years in the NBA aren't young by today's NBA standards. If he hasn't matured by now, I doubt he ever will.

In conclusion, I would not re-sign Howard, but I would bring in a defensive-minded coach that forces Harden to defend next year. If James balks at playing defense, it's time to deal him, as he will not be the guy to lead the Rockets to a championship.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

True or False: Dwight showed an ounce of effort on Favors winning dunk last night?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

no way hes able to read all that