1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

A core like this is easy to build around:

PG - ?
    SG - Redd
    SF - McGrady
    PF - ?
    C - Yao

6th man and rest of rotation - ???

You can replace Redd with another scorer like Mike Miller and you are still in same situation.

The question marks represent two things: 1) Some players would be traded to acquire Redd or Miller and we don't know exactly who they would be at this point if a deal does actually end up happening. 2) It doesn't matter that much who the role players are. See the Celtics. We will find a decent PG and frontcourt player to go with whoever is left after the trade. They will make up the 3rd through 8th players in our rotation.

The composition of those 3rd through 8th players would basically be the following:

Two decent PGs (starter/backup) between the players remaining after the trade and any additional acquistions. We have four PGs coming back next season at this point: Alston, Brooks, Jackson, Francis. Any two of those will be fine.

One decent scorer off the bench between the players remaining and any additional acquisitions. This may be the biggest challenge depending on who we give up to get that Redd-caliber player but we should find a way to make it happen.

One big body as part of your starting 5 to play alongside Yao. At least two players between Scola, Landry and Hayes would also likely be left after any such deal so, maybe you don't even lose much from this season at PF depending on how things play out.

Another big body coming off the bench that can play 10-15 mpg to give our starting frontcourt players breathers. That player doesn't even have to be very good. It could be a rebounding, muscle player like Reggie Evans. Depending on what Mutombo does and who is left after the trade, we may already have this piece.

#101 BrooksBall, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Dont be telling me stats, just go ask any Buck fan how they feel about Redd. A lot of Redd's shots are fade away 20+ footer. He takes bad bad shots, period.

But I am not arguing against him. I think he can be great in our system because of his shooting ability you are so eager to show me.

I seriously dout Bucks would do this trade tough. I just now checked the Buck's board, looks like the thread starter might have been a Rockets fan, not much response from the Bucks fans either. So let's not get crazy here.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I would trust Morey to make the right decision, so just wait and see what happens.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I might be expecting too much out of Maggette when I hope to see him shooting better on the Rockets along with his penetration, finishing and speed. I guess we might need another shooter to replace Head even with Maggette/Battier/and Tracy on the team unless Novak can deserve consistent minutes on the floor which is unlikely with his defensive and rebounding deficiencies.I'm more partial to guys who can drive and finish than better shooters.Redd isn't just a shooter anyway either.

5. ibm

ibm Member

if he takes many bad shots and still has a career 45% shooting, then he can only go better from here if he's on a good team.

6. BrooksBall

What is your sample size of Bucks fans' opinions of Redd?

Do you live in Milwaukee or did you read a handful of opinions on a random online forum?

Are you telling me that you are sure that no Bucks fans think Redd is a good player? I could probably find as positive of a set of opinions about Redd as you found negative by searching the web.

If a Bucks fan were to come read selective threads on this site, they could just as easily go back to their Bucks' forum and put together some false post about how Rockets fans, as a whole, feel about Tracy or Yao.

Stats are significant after 7 seasons in the league and Redd's stats are great for a SG.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Tmac and Corey on at the same time? Errr. It's kind of waste to me. Also it didnt work out too well for Tmac when Yao is on, Corey is even a less of passer. I am not too enthuised about Maggette. He is like an upgraded Bonzi.

8. lakerfan2008

lakerfan2008 Member

Maggette can draw fouls and get opponents into foul trouble quickly. He's an underrated defender as well. Very good size, amazing speed, freaky athletically speaking. yes he doesn't have gaudy assist numbers - part of that has to do with Mike Dunleavy's system where he runs a lot of Isos.

He and Tmac can be a nightmare matchup.

Maggette can knock down an occasionaly three pointer but he knows his game and plays within his limits. He's got a nice mid range game and he can definitely post people up and try to bang inside and get closer to the basket.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

ESPN Trade Machine

Granted, this is using last year's salaries, but Battier+BJax's contracts increase almost as much or more than Redd's does (0.7 mill) over that span I believe. When making a trade, the years following this one don't matter. A backloaded contract can be traded so long as it is within 25% of the salaries it is being traded for in that particular year.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

BB, first let me be clear, your condesending tone is not appreciated.

Obviously, you dont know much about Redd's game. I was an active member on the Bucks board for awhile. Let me give you an example of classical sentiments over there about Redds

"I have been on the deck of Redd's sinking Titanic for the past 5 years ..."

11. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

1.Alston
    2.Redd
    3.T-Mac
    4.Scloa
    5.Yao

That would be a nice starting five.

12. BrooksBall

Yea, I can't see what use we could have with a legitimate 3rd scorer like Maggette who can not only put up 20+ points per game given the minutes, grab tons of boards and hit mid-range jump shots but also get to the FT line 9-10 times a game and actually make his FTs.

So far, you have shot down Redd and Maggette. Who is the right guy in your book of hypotheticals?

Or, do you think we should just keep sending Luther Head out there and pray for him to grow 3 inches during the offseason while becoming something more than a one-dimensional player?

Maybe, you think Steve Novak will magically develop enough secondary skills to earn 20-25 mpg.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

What do you think Memphis fans felt about Gasol as their team made its push for the lottery???

Basketball is a team sport. Sometimes people need a change of scenery. Look at T-Mac's years in Orlando. Or Garnett's last couple in Minny. Or Ray Allen's last year in Seattle. Or Dwyane Wade last year. Or Vince Carter's final years in Toronto where he "mailed it in" before coming out of his groundhog hole to actually pull his weight in New Jersey that first year.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is the biggest issue here. The Bucks could probably get something better. That said, looking at 82games.com, apparently Yi and Villanueva's positions are truly more PF than SF - I thought both mixed in a fair amount of SF, but apparently not. Bucks SF minutes seem to go to Desmond Mason, Redd, Charlie Bell, and Bobby Simmons.

Shane Battier would be a significant improvement over that, and a great SF to team alongside a Yi as he develops, especially considering he's now spent two years with Yao.

And it is Bobby Jackson's last year, so half of the money would either be coming off the books next offseason or at least the Bucks would have another trading chip.

you never know.

An alternative trade, which the Bucks would probably do, but would really have to be a trade the Rockets were gung ho about because of the cap hell

Shane, Bobby, Rafer, Luther, Novak
    for
    Redd, Williams

I would NOT do that because of the cap implications. Though I would do it if we also got the Bucks first round draft choice this year (or swapped with ours). Not going to happen though.

Battier,Bobby for Redd is less complicated and makes more sense for both parties.

15. BrooksBall

Word.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Folks, stop.

Go read my original posts. I want Redd. Geesh.

I know so much about this guy that I want him. I was just responding to some negative comments to show I know his shortcomings but still want him.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Defense does wins championships you're right about that. But in our case we need another 3rd scorer too bad to past up on Redd if this its true.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

I would be really surprised that they unload Redd for Battier and expiring. Well, maybe they would if they are rebuilding.
    It is true that the Bucks management and the fans are not too high about Redd, but he is still their best talent. I just can't imagine they would unload him like that.
    From what I read, Bucks want in on Josh Howard using Redd as a bait.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even if he is just an upgraded Bonzi he could be of use to us. The biggest problem with McGrady is his inability to get to the line often enough especially in the 4th quarter.

20. BrooksBall

The only reason I replied to you initially was that you said, word-for-word, "Michael Redd's offensive efficiency is atrocious".

This statement is totally unfounded and his stats through 7 years in the NBA actually prove the complete opposite.

It makes it incredibly hard to believe you know much about Michael Redd after making a statement like that when a simple statiscal query can so fully prove it to be absolutely false.