1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Would be nice to stop missing wide open threes and free throws. I would do this trade.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Latest Rumor:

Mark Cuban interested in buying Rockets if Redd is traded to Houston. ;)

3. ibm

ibm Member

intriguing...

think about a lineup of

rafer (or an upgrade)
    redd (sg)
    mcgrady (sf)
    scola
    yao

pretty formidable at least offensively.

4. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

The only player I would trade Shane for would be Ron Artest he can defend, he can create his own shot and he can single handedly beat the rockets in the 4th quarter by himself. I'm just saying.

5. Houston22

Houston22 Member

trade battier and there will be nothing but tears over here,
    trade him for Redd and I will be crying with you..

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i'd do this any day of the freakin week. micahel redd can ball

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I feel like Milwaukee would have incentive to do this. They aren't winning next year or the year after, so Michael Redd is just an albatross contract to them. To get out from under it with an expiring (BJackson) and a blue-chipper who can only help your team in the short term (Battier) might be the best they can expect. Maybe a pick or two. I know it's folly to use the Gasol trade as a precedent, but remember Memphis was in the same situation as Milwaukee. They have nothing to gain by keeping Redd, and will only get 35 cents on the dollar for him. I doubt they can do much better than this deal.

Of course, if the Rockets do this deal, we will still have gaping holes at backup PG and backup wing, but that was the same situation the Celtics were in last summer and they had vets going outside their stadium lining up to take the minimum salary and punch a ticket to the NBA championship. That championship expectation is one thing the Rockets have not had since the Hakeem years and may regain if we get a Big Three of T-Mac Redd and Yao. And for all you naysayers out there who say Redd is a ball-hog, think about how many shots the Rockets are literally throwing away each year on Rafer and all our backup guards who can't make an open jumper to save their lives. Redd would get those shots. There's plenty of opportunity in this offense for Redd's shooting and penetrating ability to thrive.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You could make a strong argument that Yao, T-Mac and Redd would be a better version of Boston's Big 3 given our stars would not just be bigger, but also younger, collectively.

If you look at Boston, they have some decent role players but nobody that would have been a big deal before this season. It's funny how nobodies turn into somebodies when they play on a winning team next to the likes of KG, Pierce and Allen.

I think a Redd-caliber player alongside Tracy and Yao would truly take us to elite contender status instead of borderline elite.

Our starting lineup would include the most dominant offensive center in the league, a 2-time scoring champion and a prolific shooter that is a member of Team USA.

It isn't hard to plug a few pieces around that core and make things work.

Battier, Scola, Landry, Brooks, etc... they can take their pick. We have a small window left with Tracy and Yao. It's time to get that 3rd great player.

I doubt this deal really is, or will be, on the table but I would give up any players on our team not named T-Mac or Yao to make this happen.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't understand you guys that want Redd so bad. All he does is shoot in high volume. You would trade a top 8 defender for a dime a dozen scorer? It doesn't even make sense. I guess y'all just love watching the ball go in the hoop as often as possible ey?

Defense wins championships.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What does Redd do other than shoot?

11. ibm

ibm Member

but what do we lack other than scoring?

12. dexkk

dexkk Member

No, it wouldn't work. Between Redd and Mcgrady, there will be about 30-50 shot attempts per game.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

After we trade Battier? Defense....

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Running the point? Redd is not a pg!

15. ibm

ibm Member

as long as adelman implements and enforces his offense, i think the # of shots among yao, mcgrady and redd will be a secondary issue.

16. Houston22

Houston22 Member

shoot some more

I watched a few Bucks games and there are only two possibilities:
    - sample size too small to judge or
    - he is damn biggest ball hogger I've ever seen

17. ibm

ibm Member

the scenario is we give up shane and jackson. we'd still have rafer.

18. Houston22

Houston22 Member

other then AI, of course :)

19. ibm

ibm Member

shane is NOT half of our defense. shane is good in d because our team d is exceptional (thanks to jvg), not because he's a great great individual defender.

of course i'm just trying to making arguments from one side. and this trade probably will not happen...

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Defense is instilled by coaches. Even the best players won't put together good defense schemes and play smart team defense without a coach making it happen.

Thibodeau has made Boston what they are this season defensively as opposed to the great defensive abilities of KG or any other player on their team. It's not a coincidence that KG won DPOY for the first time this season.

Your argument against trading Battier shouldn't really be based on "defense wins". A good defensive coach can take a group of offensive-minded players and make them a good defensive team.

Give Van Gundy a team with Tracy, Yao and Redd and I guarantee you he would still keep them in the top echelon of defensive teams, regardless of who fills out the remainder of the roster.

If the Rockets can land a Redd-caliber player, you worry about the defense later.

The Tracy and Yao window is shrinking by the day. It's time to get another scorer to help get them over the hump. It doesn't have to be Redd, but he would certainly fit the bill. He's at least as good as Ray Allen at this point in their careers.