1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Red Hot Chili Peppers vs. Faith No More

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Aug 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I really like FNM, but RHCP has put out so much stuff out there that I like that it's hard to not give them the nod.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

me to. i actually just read anthony's bio scar tissue about a month ago. havent really liked anything since one hot minute. there music really does bring me back though.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I must be getting old. I thought everything after Mothers Milk was just boring. Can I vote for Billygoat? They were fun.

peleincubus likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Earl Harvin is God.

Mike Dillion ain't bad either.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Completely agree...especially when it comes to RHCP from One Hot Minute on. That was simply an abortion of an album and all copies should be destroyed.

DAMNIT! I JUST GOT THAT F***ING IMAGE OF KIEDIS AND DAVE NAVARRO KISSING AGAIN! THAT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS THIS STUPID F***ING FRESH BEAT BAND CRAP THEY KEEP PLAYING OVER AND OVER AGAIN ON NOGGIN (I have a 3 yr old...and I'm sure Kam knows who I'm talking about)

I was/am a fan of Faith No More, but I would always lean towards RHCP...especially pre-OHM.

6. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Like TheFreak said, Angel Dust is better than anything RHCP ever did. That makes them a better band. Although I do really dig RHCP's cover versions of Looking Glass's "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" and the Bee-Gee's "How Deep is your Love"

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You do know that he just copied what moe had originally said...

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

billygoat have not that about them in many many years.

:D :D :D :D

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I vote Faith No More. Great band!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIuOWv-mLP4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UIuOWv-mLP4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAxJs7FTr6k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAxJs7FTr6k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

QFStupidity.

RHCP are beasts. I love how their music is not cool because its popular. FNM weren't bad, but I have to go with the Peppers. Frusciante is a musical genius and my all time favorite guitarist. Funny enough, I'm listening to his solo stuff right now. Flea is also a maniac on the bass.

I understand that some of their stuff isn't as good as it used to be, but they still put out great music. Maybe not so innovative these days, but something has to be said about consistency of quality.

Maybe I'm just weird, but they're my favorite band with Radiohead and probably Wilco just behind.

1 person likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Bless your heart, I think you totally missed...

Aw, nevermind.

12. Wakko67

Sorry. I think I jumped the gun because I was ready for that argument. Well its still there for that crowd.

Oh and Chad Smith is underrated as a drummer, though he doesn't showcase his skills all that often.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

RHCP of course. I don't see how this is even a real question. I have never heard even one good song by Faith No More.

14. Manny Ramirez

+1, rep for the bands mentioned.

15. Manny Ramirez

Then buy Angel Dust and listen to in its entirety, then you'll see why this question was posed.

And you know I thought about the musicians in each group and by far, I think most people will agree that RHCP had the better musicians by a man:

Guitar - Frusciante (although there were others) vs. Jim Martin (FNM had other guitarists as well including Mr. Bungle guitarist, Trey Spruance) - Martin is highly underrated but Frusciante is very, very good - edge to RHCP

Bass - Flea vs. Billy Gould - if you listen to FNM songs, you'll hear the bass as Gould is a pretty aggressive player but still Flea is just a monster, his bass is enormous - edge to RHCP

Drums - Chad Smith (don't call me Will Ferrell) vs. Mike Bordin - where guitar and bass have a clear edge to the RHCP, this one is about even, Bordin was good enough to play for Ozzy Osbourne, very underrated although Smith is a beast - even

Keyboards - nobody for RHCP vs. Roddy Bottum - this is unfortunate because this one has to be graded as an incomplete

Vocals - Kiedis vs. Patton - I will give Kiedis this - his voice has IMPROVED tremendously over the years and he can actually carry a tune pretty well now. But I mean come on, comparing him to Mike Patton? That is like comparing the lead singer of Creed (Stapp is that his name?) to Rob Halford of Judas Priest. You get what I am saying. Patton is an AMAZING vocalist - edge to FNM

So, if you go by pure musicianship, RHCP kicks FNM's ass pretty well; however, I do think that FNM had the better chemistry. There was something about them becoming even better because of who they were playing with if that makes sense.

Yet, it takes very few and very special guitar players to play with Flea - just like Les Claypool (another monster on the bass), you have to find someone who is willing to let the bass be in the spotlight more and pick and choose their spots with their solos. Frusciante along with LaLonde are one of the bests at doing that.

16. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Bands are not fantasy teams, and comparing chops among individual members is a practice reserved for the wankiest of wankers (and this is coming from a drummer who enjoys prog).

17. Manny Ramirez

Wanker, eh? Aren't you a fellow Roxy Music fan? Little harsh there - at any rate, whatever. I am not a musician, so sorry if I broke some unspoken code or etiquette. I did get carried away a little bit but my point was that FNM probably has the greater chemistry and really works more of a band than these supergroups that have these great musicians but have never played together.

Besides fantasy football is right around the corner...

18. van chief

van chief Member

Faith No More = Steaming Pile of Crap,

would you like some steaming crap in your ears?

What is it?, its crap!

19. Wakko67

You're right, but IMO it helps when every person in the band is great at what they do. Even Kiedis, he didn't always have the voice, but his presence and energy made him a huge piece to their puzzle. He is a great frontman, ego and all.

Plus the guys have great chemistry which translates to their music. I love watching Flea and John jam together. Its mostly live, but it is inspiring.

I think when its all said and done, Frusciante will get more recognition as one of the bests.

20. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Damn, that really did come across as harsh - sorry about that. For the record, I was trying to point out that I am actually a HUGE wanker (again, a drummer who enjoys prog). And don't fret, there is no code to be broken. There are plenty of musicians that emphasize chops and what not.

Anyhow, I see what you are doing here, and it's cool. There are so many ways to compare bands, and it's all so subjective, that we could discuss this ad naseum.