1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Red Ear Slider Sanctuary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, May 26, 2019.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks all (or rather, some) for the tips.

I got the turtle in 2nd grade (early 90s) when it was maybe 2". I believe I 'won' it for coming in 1st at the science fair. Now it's 8"+ and dont really have room for a massive tank.

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I don't think it's 'ruthless' to hope to find a better community for it. I could easily dump it in the creek behind my parents house, but know that will surely kill it in a matter of days, and thus won't do that. I'm looking for a place that it will be able to live and have a better life that a 2x5' tank in solitude.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seems like a good excuse to visit Austin and the cornucopia of good to great BBQ places we have now. I doubt if the university abuses their turtles. Maybe I'll go over there and find the pond later in the week. Take a gander at the coeds that are all over the place.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is there any reason you think that's so? I'd be concerned about releasing a carnivore that never learned to hunt, but adults are more herbivorous. If you release him you cannot guarantee his survival, but that is the deal for animals in the wild. And you won't ever know either way.

Also, I've seen the arguments not to release into the wild. I get the invasive species argument, but red ears are native to the area. The other stuff about disease, competition, etc are not very persuasive.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

For a few reasons. First, diseases. I'd guess that a bayou is much dirtier than a pond at some sort of 'sanctuary'. Of course she doesn't have resistance to either, so my plan would be to introduce a small amount of the pond water over the course of a few months in her current habitat, so hopefully she'll gain some resistance. Second, I'm not sure how she'd react to the ability to climb out of the water and wander into the streets. Many ponds I've seen with turtles are situated to where they can't climb out. I'm hoping for the equivalent of a 'Chimp Eden' (Jane Goodall's chimp sanctuary) for turtles. haha.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if you really want to save the wee turtle and know it will live a good life then i can think of no better place than jesse jones nature park.

https://www.hcp4.net/parks/jjp/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big MAK likes this.